SOTA Cycling Weekend 2015

Indeed I did cycle Phil,

DAY One.

(GW/NW-044)

Bike : Orange Five (2011) Made in Yorkshire.
Time to climb : ~30 mins
Battery Voltage (S) -16.7V (F) -15.9V
Descent time : 1:30 mins
Best DX : ZS1S

Started out from usual car park between the valley of Foel Fenlli and Moel Famau. Packed fairly lightly SOTA Beams collapsible 10m pole, KX3. 20 / 15m 0.25L Vertical and a 6m dipole.

Started out on 15m KA1R came belting back after struggling to get a mobile signal initially. Band was in really good shape, although many complained of its stability today. Really pleased with the South African station.

20m had the usual suspects turn up. A nice call came from Phil I/G4OBK/P in Italy with a big signal.

6m had a lively spread of stations due to a UKAC I believe, this was useful and provided some interesting pileups.

The descent was rapid, as expected. For some summits activating by Bike makes alot of sense. The satisfaction gained of combing two interests together is immense.

Thanks for Richard G3CWI for holding the dates for the event. I hope to make a DAY Two. Stay tuned !

BR

Jonathan

4 Likes

A few moving pictures.
Smashing day, perfect SOTA/Cycling weather. 24ºC with a nice breeze.
Doesn’t look as promissing for tomorrow :frowning:

3 Likes

My cycling trip was a little more arduous that I hoped for.

I set of at 9am and headed for Billinge Hill. Nearly 70 km later I took a break in the cafe just below the hill having averaged over 26 km/hr (16 mph). The final 150 m of the climb was on foot, pushing the bike. It was a lovely day if a bit windy. Lots of contacts on 20m CW including many S2S and KA1R. A few contacts on 17 m.

Next I cycled to Winter Hill. I cycled rather slowly on the climb as it was hard work…A chap I saw in the garden of his house just below the hill filled up my water bottle and I made the final push. I called in to say hello to the VHF contesters just below the main mast and then cycled on up to the trig point. Lots more contacts on 20 m including KA1R again (thanks!).

I then enjoyed the fast descent into Bolton to catch the train back. I had cycled 106 km (66 miles) with 843 m (2,750 ft) ascent by this stage. To my great annoyance I discovered that there were no trains running. This meant an extra 25 km cycling from Bolton into the centre of Manchester. Fortunately I have a cycling-specific satnav which planned quite a good route using a cycle-path that runs from Bolton to Worsley.

Then it was a train home. Arrived at 20:30.

Total cycling 138 km (86 miles). Homebrew 2 Watt CW radio, trapped dipole, 4.1m mast.

A long day out. Slightly tired today.

3 Likes

I had some mtb+sota activations in the past with the help of my father. We reached a starting place by car, not too far from the summit. I really enjoyed those experiences but the slopes here on the n-w Italy are very hard to climb. We have at least 40 km to cycle for the closest summit for more than 1200mts to climb. Slopes are from 4% to 10% and with little training it needs from 4 to 5 hours to reach the closest summits with your own legs.
I could say that it is like an iron man without the swim, and the way back home needs you even more energies because you spent them in the climb and during the activation.
Sun/hot and wind make big difference and do not forget the power/weight relation.
A good training with an accurate study of the trip is highly raccomended because distance can tire you more than slope.
Well, I have been training for over a year and now I can reach the closest summit all alone. Sun and temperatures stop me, because there’s often over 30°C, and a bad propagation.
I hope to find better conditions in early autumn. At the moment I enjoy your images and link some of mine :smile:

2 Likes

Good work and great piece of music on the You Tube .
Ian vk5cz …

I think any activity today is off the cards, poring down here. Software day I think.

Jonathan.

Some great photo’s and good to see people getting out and using the bike for SOTA activations.

I had a steady plod up G/NP-029 Sharp Haw on the mountain bike today…

73 Chris M0RSF

3 Likes

Great video Chris. I was listening for you to video from my side but nothing heard.

Hope to catch you on your next one.

73 Mick M0MDA

Thanks Mick, I know that your normally one of the first chasers in my log. I was going to do HF too but I was a little pushed for time due to a family get together. I’m sure that there will be other times.

73 Chris M0RSF

Well this weekend was certainly a game of two halfs.
After yesterday’s beautiful summer weather, I awoke to slate grey skies and cool conditions this morning.
The forecast was not particularly enticing either.
The weather gods played tricks with me, and as I was pondering as to whether it was worth going out and getting wet for a single point, the sun came streaming through.

I grabbed my SOTA cycle pack and hit the road.

Today’s venue was to be May Hill, G/WB-019. No sooner was I on the road than the first signs of rain became apparent in the air.

The clouds were building over the top of May Hill. (with it’s distinctive clump of trees on the summit)

Near Tibberton, about 5 miles short of the summit, all hell broke loose. Torrential rain and gale force winds almost had me turning around and running for home (or the pub!) The sky was an evil black from horizon to horizon.
I pushed on through muddy lanes that now resembled mountain streams. Traction on the steep lanes was becoming a big issue.

I pushed on, and as I arrived at the start of the final footpath to the summit, it all started to clear up.

An easy push (there was no way to ride in the slippery condx) and I was at the trig point.

Fortunately the storm seemed to have blown over, and in fact there were super views (but short lived) down into south Wales and the Brecon Beacons.

I unpacked the Go bag and set up.

The same kit as yesterday; 5m travel pole, MTR 20/60, Sotabeams EFHW tuner, 10metres of wire, Pico Palm paddle and a 350 mAh LiPo.

As no one else was mad enough to be up here after the storm, I used one of the many memorial benches to set up shop.

Conditions were way down on yesterday. RBN never spotted me and I ended up not making it out of single figures today! Not strictly true, as I had 2 QSOs with Ignacio, EA2BD, who called me back for more of a chat. He was also using a MTR from a beach! I know where I’d rather have been just then. Although the storm had blown over, I was thoroughly soaked and dressed for cycling, not SOTA ops. Sitting for just a short time had me a shivering wreck and I knew I had to cut short any plans of a lengthy activation.

I contemplated moving on to Ruardean Hill, G/WB-021. That would have added about 15 miles to the day, but the approach of yet another black cloud steered me in the direction of home!

It took some time to warm up again, but after Newent the sun was out again and I got home warm and dry.

Just 50 miles for the day.

Probably no video on this occasion as I couldn’t be bothered with the camera in the wet, so only have a few seconds of video in the bag!

Saturday was the day to be out :smile:

3 Likes

I know its early but any plans for the SOTA Cycling weekend 2016? Maybe 2nd & 3rd or 9th & 10th July?

73 Chris M0RSF

Any chance that will coincide with the summer?
:smile:

Pete

1 Like

Summer in the UK - surely you jest. I was in the UK last June/July and it was not what I would call summer - I mean where were all the bushfires let alone warm and dry weather! Kind of appreciated the lack of fires, but did miss warm and dry weather!

Matt
VK1MA

1 Like

Probably time to start the 2016 thread. I will do so.

You combined three, in fact, cycling, mountaineering and radio.

[quote=“VK1MA, post:33, topic:10151”]Summer in the UK - surely you jest.[/quote]The impression I get is Aussies often go elsewhere to get away from the heat. Chances are, UK’s a good place to go to get away from the heat. You might be unlucky, and catch one of its random heatwaves, but usually you’ll be fine… :wink: :wink: