SOTA Chasing today

I wish I had as much time as you Karl…

Jonathan

2 Likes

I know the feeling just invested in a mag loop to start chasing from my new QTH only managed a quick cw qso to France to test it out and then spent the past week in Scotland with work.

Looking at the weather reports another storm is blowing in for the festive season, I was planning to try for a Christmas Day activation

Today’s activation of The Cloud G/SP-015 was again using MX1SWL/P, the club callsign of the International Short Wave League. It was a beautiful clear crisp sunny day with blue sky and very little cloud until mid afternoon. It was getting cold by then though!

Lots and lots of people on the summit throughout, and lots of questions fielded about my activities and amateur radio in general.

10m CW: 18 (EA8, G, OK, RA, SV9, TA, UR, W)
10m PSK31: 2 (G, UR)
10m SSB: 4 (G, GW)
10m AM: 1 (G)
10m FM: 1 (G)
2m FM: 9 (G)

Total for the activation: 35 QSOs, 9 DXCCs. Intending some more Challenge fun on Xmas Eve morning, then some 40m CW/SSB for inter-G on Christmas Day.

Hi Tom,
I have been eagerly looking for you on 10m today, both on phone and CW, carefully listening on the spotted frequencies while moving my beam to your direction and opposite trying to find some little signal from you either direct or some rebounding signals, backscatter or whatever. But no luck at all.
I’m sorry.
From the contacts you have reported I see you got very short skip (possibly ground wave contacts) and much longer skip than the distance between you and me.

I’ll keep looking for you in your next activations.
Best 73 de Guru

Hey Phil @G4OBK

Just to let you know that my activator logs are up-to-date in the SOTA Database (at last).

As expected, I remain out in front of the G Challenge table, and way off the pace in the world table! The 700 or so activator QSOs added last night have, in effect, made hardly any difference to my standing in either!

HI Tom

Thank’s Tom…

I think for a man who has a full time job (I believe) that is an extraordinary challenge score (35917 points to date) for a station in the northern part of Europe (although SOTA Op’s in LA/OH/SM/OZ would probably say that the UK is not Northern Europe, as they see less of ole sol during the winter than we do, and less sporadic E). I also believe that you run QRP (still) but that you spend a lot of time on the summits near to Macclesfield, especially on “Tom’s Cloud” SP-015. This is as well as performing your duties on the MT and as a bass guitarist in a rock band…

Less than a month then before the 10m/6m challenge draws to a close… Well done and keep up the good work.

73 Phil

Cheers Phil! It’s just a matter of seizing opportunities as and when they arise. This used to be easier when I could activate The Cloud G/SP-015 on my way to work in a morning. I left that job a couple of years ago and my commutes since have not taken me past a SOTA… Somewhat careless of me that. Nonetheless, being able to be QRV on a local summit within 45 minutes of leaving the house is still a good situation.

Yes, I’m still 5w (and sometimes less) from my FT-817 / HB1B / VX7R from the hills. TBH, it’s all you ever need with quiet hilltop locations with good take-off and efficient aerials. Plus the CW makes everything go that little bit further too!

This is more the sort of music work I do these days. Probably not what you’d describe as a “rock band” hi!

There is a bit of rock and blues on the horizon though:

http://nantwichjazz.com/round-the-town-monday-28th-march/

Now, shall I go out for a play in the snow tomorrow morning…?

Hi Tom,
I’m having the same hesitation.
I’d like to activate something tomorrow and I also want to take my kids to play with the snow in some near by mountain.
What I think I’ll finally try is satisfying both needs at a time.
Now thinking about which summit would be ideal to suit both requirements…
Good night & 73 de Guru

Not quite the same Guru - I will be out “playing”, while my “kids” (aged 23 and 18) will lay in bed until lunchtime…

I taught mine to cook… :grinning:

Brian

Too cryptic for me Brian.

Understanding and enjoying SOTA in this way, even in an “unrestricted” challenge, deserves my recognition!

2 Likes

At their ages, I can understand that, Tom.
My kids are 13, 10 and 5 so they don’t hang out at night yet (fortunately)
I finally took them this morning to Mt. Erreniega EA2/NV-092 to play with the snow and I took advantage of being in the summit to activate SOTA.
I’ll post a report with pictures soon.
Best 73 de Guru

1 Like