SOTA & ARDF Boot Camp Pre-Planning

I wanted to start a thread to try and gauge interest in a possible SOTA & ARDF boot camp in the summer. It would be run over the weekend, perhaps even a long weekend. We have an ideal location here in the Steiermark called the Vogelhütte on the Patschaberg (OE/ST-363):

Besides OE/ST-363 (just 20 minutes walk away), there are numerous other SOTA summits very close by, which means huge potential for S2S. The hut itself is at 1020m; very RF quiet (probably); with generous space for portable antennas outside and a large BBQ area. The hut is accessible by road in about 20 minutes from the large town of Weiz. It sleeps 45 people and is self catering. It would cost €9,50 per person per night and we would have to get at least 15 people booked to run the event. The area is also ideal for some ARDF, for those who wish to try out this aspect of the hobby. The event would be run mainly by members of the ÖVSV Landesverband Steiermark; other OMs may get involved as well. The event would, of course, be open to everyone in the SOTA community. If many non German speaking hams are interested in coming then the event will be run on a bilingual basis (English / German). We could do a limited number of pick ups, but hiring a car would be the best way to come to the event. Of course, many people on this forum already have lots of experience in SOTA. I’m not sure how many newcomers would be reading this. However, the event would be very informal, and with the potential for so many summits in the area, more experienced hams may wish to come along as well; if only for a great SOTA long weekend with a friendly social atmosphere. We would activate during the day, with informal talks on gear, organisation etc, in the evening. If you are interested, then please leave a message below. If you think you would like to help out (especially if you speak English), then please send me a PM. Opinions on the best date for such an event are also welcome, but 17th of July to the 7th of August is out of the question. For anyone wishing to stay on afterwards and activate at their own leisure, I can provide plenty of advice on routes and options during your stay at the Vogelhütte. From a week’s activating in the area, you could easily walk away with over 70 points, with many double activations.

73 de OE6FEG
                       Matt
3 Likes

Hi Matt,

sounds like a great idea and i would definitely like to join the event … depending on my QRL obligations!

73 Martin, OE5REO

Interested - I’ll send you a PM.

Sounds like a fun activity. I have to give it a thought…
regards, Jaan

Thanks for all the messages. At the moment, it doesn’t look like there is enough interest to run this event. However, it is possible that a more easily accessed location may fare better with hams outside of the host country; perhaps somewhere close to Geneva? If anyone else decides to go forward with the idea, then I wish them the best of luck.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt