SOTA and Radcom

Just for information I have sent a picture of Beinn Lora WS-336 to Sam G4DDK for 23cm activity which I think he will use in the microwave column.

Ive said to him how well SOTA works and its a pity they dont have a non-summit version for microwaves (MOTA!?) because I think many more contacts could be made. The ON4KST system is fine for what it is but is not flexible enough.

I dont know who designed this site as I am not a computery person but ive had many contacts on 2m etc which I would never have got otherwise, works a treat. Even if it is mostly from one hill:) Good stuff… thanks.
Robert
GM4GUF

In reply to GM4GUF:
Hi Robert
Quick question for you - what equipment are you using for 23cm SOTA? My 910 is far too heavy to cart around!
Cheers
Tim
G4YTD

In reply to G4YTD:
Hi Tim
Yes it is a bit too heavy isnt it:) I use a DB6NT Mk1 driven from my 817, I think there is a mk3 or 4 now they are great because its the size of a cigarete packet is sensitive and gives out 500mw or so. This is abit low output depending on where you live but still usable on hills with a small high gain yagi. I worked GW8ASD from Tinto on 500mW… there are some very good operators up there (SSB/CW).
I then bought a PE1RKI amplifier capable of 75 watts (8vdc to 28vdc)for 3-4 watts input max. This is really well engineered but you could just as well go down the route of a G4BAO amplifier kit (see earlier Radcom, cant remember which or his website). I am now building a G4DDK preamp from a kit which hopefully will turn the system into an up to date RX.
The equipment is pretty small when put together and I can use it on the hills or at home easily.
Any more questions, just ask!
Robert
GM4GUF

In reply to GM4GUF:
Thanks for the info Robert. Will have a look at this over the weekend (At work sneaking a look at SOTA watch between tasks!).
Sorry its a quick reply, just wanted to say thanks.

:slight_smile:

Tim
G4YTD

In reply to GM4GUF:

Looks like you are putting together a nice set up Robert. I have 250mW of 23cms SSB available, but the transverter weighs 2kg, so I have not yet hoisted it up a hill. A linear based on the MHW1815 will hopefully be added sometime soon to give me a few watts and that might encourage me somewhat.

I wonder whether you or anyone else has an interest in 13cms. So far there is only one entry in the database for the band. Surely we can do better!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

I have a 13cms transverter kit awaiting assembly. Really only an exciter as the output is meant to be about 100mW.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to G4OIG:

I have a 13cms transverter kit awaiting assembly.

Before or after your 10G gear?

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Exactly Richard… too many pies and not enough fingers.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4OIG:

I wonder whether you or anyone else has an interest in 13cms.

Once my 23cm transverter is working properly, I will want a new challenge :wink:

Hope to join you there eventually!

John GM8OTI

In reply to G4OIG:

Ive never bothered to weigh the whole system before but just checked and transverter, power amp and rather large heatsink and preamp all in a plastic box comes to just under 3kg. Then there is the 817 and batteries plus aerial and ecoflex 10 cable, it has got abit heavy!
It doesnt have to be that heavy, I am just about to complete a 3-4 watt amp with a smaller heatsink to give me more power flexibility.

I am hoping to get someone to demonstrate a dish with 13cm and 3cm this year and then see how things go, so I have got an interest but not immediate as I want to push the 23cm to my/its limits first! Plus keep the other bands ticking along… might even do some more summits :slight_smile:
73, Robert