Sota activity

I am always looking for the latest sota spots daily does this mean i am getting obsessed with sota chasing ?

In reply to M3XIE-1:

1. “getting”???! You’re an old hand now, David! :wink:

2. You only look daily??? I’m obviously well and truly addicted (until I can get back out on the hills)!

Best 73s
Karen (2E0XYL)

1. …and all your log entries are SOTA contacts? :wink:

In reply to M6LEP:
are there any “other`s”

In reply to G6ODU:

In reply to M6LEP:
are there any “other`s”

I often wake up sweating from a dreadful reoccurring nightmare!!! I dream that I’m screaming “CQ SOTA, CQ SOTA, CQ SOTA” from the summit of Kinder Scout and the only source of power available to me, is G1STQs flat 20Ah SLAB :frowning:

PHEW!

Mike 2E0YYY

In reply to M3XIE-1:

Following the spots is a minor obsession. Feverishly searching the bands hoping to be the first to hear the activation and work it is a larger obsession, searching the bands to be the first to hear the activation - and then not working it but putting up a spot - that is a MAJOR obsession.

There’s worse. Having several rigs with dual watch function continuously monitoring two likely frequencies each, being steadily driven crackers by the metronomic changes of background noise…therein lies madness!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Quote “searching the bands to be the first to hear the activation - and then not working it but putting up a spot - that is a MAJOR obsession”

Ah yes, my usual trick! I will hear an activators first CQ call & if not first to be worked I will spot them. This can be very much like shooting ones self in the foot, as once the spot appears & the pileup grows huge it can, & sometimes has taken me 40 minutes to finally work the activator I spotted!

Sometimes of course, I don’t get to work them at all! Hi!

I never learn :wink:

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G6ODU:

are there any “other`s”

I guess I’m not the most… frenetic of chasers, but it seems all twelve person-to-person QSOs in my 2011 log are SOTA contacts, and the only other one’s the club Sunday top-band Net. :wink:

In reply to M6LEP:

In reply to G6ODU:

are there any “other`s”

I guess I’m not the most… frenetic of chasers, but it seems all
twelve person-to-person QSOs in my 2011 log are SOTA contacts, and the
only other one’s the club Sunday top-band Net. :wink:

LOL, my last 510 log bog entries are SOTA!

Oh well…

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G8ADD:
I can`t find the camera Brian ,but, it sure looks like You have hidden one here.Have you found a cure for the noise yet?

In reply to G6ODU:

Yes, the big switch!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M3XIE-1:
No , if you’re only looking at the latest spots DAILY then that’s not an obsession . I check them at least hourly . Maybe i’m just a bit weird.
Thanks for the call earlier on NW-13
Cheers from Aled
MW6UPH

In reply to MW6UPH:

Maybe others have been affected by the following, what I would call, “Phantom station syndrome”.

This is more relevent to CW chasers but could affect phone chasers too.

It refers to when you begin to hear what you think are weak stations calling in the background noise.

When the band noise begins to sound like a SOTA activation,& although you think you can “hear” cw, it isn’t really there. You have to turn the tuning dial a bit either way just to be certain that station buried in the noise isn’t in fact just in your own head.

Of course, this can also affect DX chasers,or others who chase signals that are hovering around the general background noise on a particular band.

I have suffered a couple of episodes of “PSS” today, but thankfully didn’t try to work any of them Hi!

And according to my latest work related medical, I am sane & my hearing is that of a teenager, despite many years of making a racket with electric guitars & similar loud things.

SOTA is great fun, & highly addictive!

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G0VOF:

Golly, Mark, I thought it was just me!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G0VOF:

The voices, they say CQ SOTA CQ SOTA to me - I swear they’re there in the noise . . . . . or maybe not??!!

Karen 2E0XYL

In reply to G0VOF:

Dr. Technology comes to the rescue to stop this Mark. It works best for CW but you can use it for voice too. Just run a copy of Spectran on a spare PC in the shack and connect to the radio you are using. Set the running average to 16 or 32 FFTs and anything really there will appear as a trace on the screen. You’ll know for sure if there is a signal or not. Get the sample rate and waterfall speed right and you can read the CW from the display!

Andy
MM0FMF