SOTA 10GHz

Each year I hope that someone else will join the SOTA 10G group (which is very small). Each year people say they will, or that they are nearly ready. Each year I am disappointed.

If 23cm FM is getting a bit dull, why not try some real radio on 10GHz? Contacts of 150-300km are normal on 10GHz and DX out to 1,000km is quite possible.

Any takers?

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Very long paths have been achieved by optical methods, too - SOTA contacts with a modulated light source might be a future event!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3CWI:

Any takers?

We use 70 GHz at work, but that is work.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to G8ADD:
A few years ago Richard GW0VMW and myself achieved a summit to summit NW-064 to NW-072 on Bardsey island using just reflected light. Not that it counts for SOTA but fun to try anyway!

http://mw0idx.co.uk/Mynydd%20Enlli.html

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX:

Very well done, Roger! I don’t see why it shouldn’t count for SOTA…the difference between microwaves, IR and visible light is purely a matter of convention.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3CWI:

Richard,

Yes, what a super band. It’s a pity WBFM generated by Gunn Diodes died a death as that was an inexpensive way of getting on. Unfortunately not many people have the readies to shell out on a 10GHz transverter and those that do probably are relunctant to part with their cash when the return in QSOs is likely to be quite small.

I’d gladly join you, but my lottery ticket hasn’t come up yet.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

What would be useful would be to introduce a rover category to the UHF/SHF contests like they have in the US. You end up with the chance of working the fixed stations, the fixed contest station and the rovers.

I bought the antenna relay last week Richard, brand new 18GHz job for £15. I’m getting there… at about the speed a glacier moves. Or slower!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

What would be useful would be to introduce a rover category to the
UHF/SHF contests like they have in the US.

…so useful that it was done years ago in the microwave group cumulatives.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Ah well there you go. I’ve only been doing the IARU/RSGB contests. Blissful ignorance Richard. I think we’re having a bash at the new microwave field day this August.

Andy
MM0FMF