SMP new version goes live!

New version of sotamaps is live!

So, the newest version of the SMP has finally gone live today after a long wait. It doesn’t actually look much different at all to the older version, but the differences are in the details “under the hood” as it were.

I’ll use this opportunity to list these differences in the following sections.

SOTA Login

The SMP has joined with the other SOTA sites in offering a login feature which enables the user to login not only to the SMP, but to all other SOTA sites at the same time. Similarly, logging in to any of the other SOTA sites will also mean that you are logged in to the SMP. This new feature is known as Single Sign On, or SSO for short.

Several features in the new SMP actively require the user to be logged in; if the user is not logged in, those features will be unavailable to the user.

The login will time out after a few hours, and users will be asked whether they wish to stay logged in.

Simplified Page URLs

Page URLs in the new SMP have been simplified to remove details of file extensions and to make it easier to form links to pages which should open with pre-loaded information. Examples:

load a particular set of associations/regions into the main mapping page:

load a summit into the tracks page:

Main mapping page

The left-hand side-bar now features two tabs:

• the first tab for the usual mapping of associations, regions and summits;
  • the second tab to display the summit history for a chosen summit. This tab is only available when the user is logged in.

The first tab, as mentioned, offers the usual mapping functions, and in addition features a new bands/modes overview table in a separate dialog for all summits in a region. Summits listed and displayed on the map can now be filtered according to activation status as follows:

• all summits in chosen range
  • only activated summits
  • only unactivated summits
  • only summits activated by the user, in any year
  • only summits activated by the user, in the current year
  • only summits activated by the user, but NOT in the current year
  • only summits NEVER activated by the user.

The second tab temporarily replaces the map area with a table and two charts, with the table showing all activations for a particular summit, and the charts showing the following summaries for the summit:

• QSOs per mode by band;
  • distribution of QSOs by band.

The table of activations in the second tab shows the QSOs per band made during each activation, and also features a link leading directly to the new activations page (see below for more details) where that activation will be highlighted.

Range mapping page

The range page in this updated version of the SMP has a couple of new features:

• in addition to the range types offered in the previous version, the page now offers a new “Map area” type. This enables ALL SOTA summits found within the immediate map area to be displayed: both panning and zooming of the map causes the display to update automatically to show summits found within the map area. In order to keep the loading of summits to reasonable numbers and loading times, this option will only be available at map zoom-levels of 10 or higher.
  • Elevation profiles can be generated between points on the map and displayed in a new dialog window, which is opened by clicking on a new map control in the lower LH corner of the map area. Points on the map can be either SOTA summits, or any other point of interest on the map. This feature will probably be of interest mainly for those using the UHF and GHz bands, where a free line of sight between stations is important. Distances between points of interest will therefore be limited to two hundred (200) kilometers maximum. This new function uses an in-house elevations API and our own elevations data sources, which result in moderately fast elevations lookups.

Previously available options to start this page with pre-loaded information have been dropped.

Tracks mapping page

The tracks page in the new SMP version remains largely unaltered; a few functions have been “cleaned up” here, including better mouse-tracking of tracks and their associated elevations profile chart.

The left-hand side-bar in the tracks page features three tabs, of which only the first is available when the user is NOT logged in. If you save a drawn track, or upload a new track to the system, or wish to edit or delete a track created by you, you will no longer be asked for a password - the SOTA SSO login ensures that only you can perform the task.

Activations mapping page

As mentioned above, the activations mapping page is a new addition to the set of mapping pages offered by this new SMP version. Some users may however recognize this page from an earlier (2014/2015) version which was scrapped due to a lack at that time of up-to-date activations data being made available to the SMP.

Happily, this new version of the page DOES have access to the latest activations data, albeit delayed by a maximum of one whole day due to updates in the data having to be ported at intervals to the SMP server.

The page shows activations listed chronologically for a particular callsign, chosen from a list. Portable prefixes or suffixes do not need to be entered.

The left-hand side-bar features four tabs to display either the map, or areas containing tables and/or charts. Only the first of these is available when the user is NOT logged in.

The four tabs are as follows:

• Mapping - the usual mapping area on which can be displayed either:

• summit-markers, one for each activation by the user, or
    • details for a particular activation.
  • Time Charts - displays time-charts as follows:

• a year bar-chart for the year of activation, showing QSOs per band per month, grouped by mode; this chart is accompanied by two pie-charts showing bands and modes usage respectively for the year;
    • a month bar-chart for the month of activation, showing QSOs per band per day, grouped by mode; again, this chart is accompanied by two pie-charts showing bands and modes usage for the month;
    • a day bar-chart showing each QSO made during the day of activation, each bar identified with a single letter showing which mode was used, and if the QSO was a S2S, the letter appears in red. Moving the mouse over each column in the bar-chart activates a tooltip showing details of the QSO. As with the year- and month-charts, accompanying pie charts show bands and modes usage for the day. A separate button displays a dialog containing a table showing full details of all QSOs made during the particular activation.
  • Stats Charts - this tab page is uncoupled from the previous two, enabling summary activations data for the activator to be displayed in bar- and pie-charts. Y-axes of bar-charts in this tab-page can be displayed in either linear or logarithmic scales.

Also featured is filtering of data by a combination of:

• Continent,
    • Association,
    • Region,
    • year.
  • Scores - this final tab-page in the activations mapping page is also uncoupled from the first two tab-pages. It features two tables:

• QSOs made by the activator per activated association, region and band: clicking on an entry in this table displays a dialog showing details of each activation made by the activator in a particular region and band;
    • Summits to complete - shows which summits the activator has made in a particular region, and which he/she has not yet chased.

Chases mapping page

This is a completely new page in the new SMP showing chases, which are listed chronologically for a particular chaser chosen from a list.

This page is very similar in appearance to the activations page, and offers the same set of features as that page. Users of the chases page should therefore refer to the features listed above for the activations page.

Alerts mapping page

This page, showing SOTA alerts as they are reported, is substantially unaltered compared to the previous version, just a little cleaned up in the background.

Spots mapping page

The spots mapping page, showing SOTA spots as they are reported, has improved filtering options compared to the previous version.

Main filtering of spots is on a combination of:

• timeframe;
  • worldwide, continent or association/region,
  • individual bands and/or modes, chosen to reflect the chaser’s antenna choices and mode(s) of operation.

In addition, visible signals can be activated to highlight activators and/or summits of interest. Activator callsigns and/or summit-codes can be taken from:

• manual inputs;
  • the latest SOTA alerts;
  • your own “summits to complete” list, which can be further filtered on association and/or region.

Visible signals can also be set to be displayed for a “spot age” time-frame chosen by the user.

Audible signals can also be activated whenever wanted callsigns and/or summits appear in the list. The program offers a choice of three audible signal types:

• sound-clip - the user can choose from a number of different sound-clips in a dropdown list;
  • morse-code message - the user can choose a message to be played in morse-code when a spot of interest appears. Controls enable the user to alter the speed, frequency and Farnsworth setting (an extra pause after every character) of the message to be played;
  • voice message - one of several available messages can be “spoken” by the program when a wanted spot appears. This option relies on the browser’s support of the underlying speech-synthesis software features and, since this technology is still (September 2018) in experimental form, such support cannot be guaranteed. Nonetheless, the voice message option seems to run in most modern browsers without a hitch, with the notable (and hardly surprising) exception of Internet Explorer. Available settings for this option are:
    • the voice itself (chosen from the “voices” available on the user’s operating system, if any),
    • voice pitch,
    • voice rate.

Audible signals, once enabled, can also be temporarily muted for a short time-period chosen by the user: once this time-period has elapsed, the audible signals will continue to be played every time a wanted spot appears in the list. This option enables the user to concentrate on actually making the chase QSO, while the mute is active, without being distracted by audible signals from this program.

Extras page

This new version of the extras page has a couple of new features:

• the linked antenna designer now enables antennas with up to six bands to be designed;
  • a new tab in the page offers an area where activators can post alerts if the main SOTA alerts page is, for any reason, temporarily unavailable. Newer vesions of the SOTA alerts page will doubtless make such an eventuality increasingly rare, but this tab page is nonetheless offered as a viable alternative to be used as and when necessary.

Contact page

The contact form now features a Google reCAPTCHA test, replacing the old SMP captcha challenge.

Other pages in the new SMP remain largely unaltered, apart from improved formatting.

Cookies

The site no longer uses cookies to store user settings: these are instead saved to the browser Local Storage Area, and are thus never sent to the server when the browser makes a request for new content to be downloaded.

Season’s greetings to all!
Rob DM1CM

19 Likes

Looks great, the Stats page is really good.
One slight snag, Log in is timing out after a 2 minutes.
Using MacOS High Sierra V 10.13.6

Neil

What a great holiday gift! Vielen Dank, Rob!

BTW, was logged in for about 20 minutes without being logged out. I did have several website crashes but I was getting error messages saying processes were being slowed by a browser extension, so that may be the cause rather than the website. System being used was an elderly Acer Aspire laptop, CPU AMD E350, 4 Gb RAM, OS Linux Mint 18.3, and the brower was Firefox Quantum 64 bit, version 1 for Linux Mint.

Same 2 minute log out here, too. Windows 10. Otherwise a great resource! Thank you!

Dave, AE9Q

2 minute time out suggests the refresh token isn’t being renewed for the single-sign on. Try with the new version of sotadata and see if you stay logged in longer than 2 minutes there. Then we can narrow it down to the browser, one of the apps, or the SSO server itself.

That’s a great Christmas present! Thanks a lot for your efforts which are highly appreciated!! :clap::clap:
Vy 73, Sylvia
OE5YYN

Stupid question Rob, which username + password am I to use for the login? The user from
https://www.sota.org.uk/
or the previous one I created for mapping (track upload)
or the one from the reflector?
Because non of my credentials are working.

And the email function to reset the password is not working to fix the problem. Or do I need to register at the SSO page again?

73 Joe

Did for me, just took a few minutes to come.

Okay - strange - using the username that you use for sotadata or the one from the main sota page?

EDIT: Okay it’s the sotadata username and password. Now it works … thank you

Tried both. I had to reset it.

hi rob,

thank you very much for this nice christmas present. it surely looks like you put a lot of effort and time into this major update! but there is one problem i found:

until now, when i upload a track to SMP, i also added an external link on the “summit information page” that leads the user directly to the gps-track. due to your change of the URL’s all my previously entered URL’s are now leading nowhere:

https://www.sotamaps.org/tracks.php?smt=OE/OO-417 (OLD)
Tracks - view, create or upload tracks or routes to SOTA summits - sotamaps.org (NEW)

not sure if it is possible to fix that easily … or if i have to change the URL’s for all my entries!?

73 and merry christmas de martin, oe5reo

1 Like

Hi Martin,

Yes, this is one of the unfortunate consequences of URLs changing, or changing in form, as applications are updated over time.

I don’t see any easy way to make the necessary changes to the URLs to your tracks - except, possibly to contact Jon G4ZFZ to ask him if there’s a way to make a global change in the data.

In any case, Jon will have to change the URLs pointing to the mapping for each summit in the SOTA site - I’ve already alerted Andrew VK3ARR to this issue.

Sorry I can’t be of more help on this,

Frohe Weihnachten noch!
Rob

2 Likes

Hello this is Gerald F6HBI,
As i wanted to upload a track i must login,
but it is impossible for me, idem to reset the password,
the email never comes!
Any help is welcome.
73 and thanks for the job.
Gerald

Hi Gerald,

You are now using the tracks page in the new version of sotamaps. In order to upload a track, it is necessary to login to sotamaps itself: click on the “Login” button in the upper right-hand corner of the tracks page (or in any of the new sotamaps pages). You must then use the same login details which you use in the SOTAdata site - the old sotamaps login is now no longer valid.

Once you have logged in, you may access the upload area of the tracks page. I’ve just tested this - it’s all working properly.

Cheers, Rob

1 Like

Is it possible to disable the animations on the drop down boxes and the chosen summit box?

Ummm - which animations? which drop-down boxes?

Your own advice would seem a sensible way to help us to move forward here…

I truly appreciate all the hard work you guys do! The resources you’ve made available to SOTA users are worth a fortune.

I seem to be unable to log in to the sota maps page. Instead, I’m getting an error message “kc init failed” and the maps don’t load up.

I’m confused about the SSO password and login? The Database utilizes a “User Name” but other pages like mapping and sotawatch utilize “Call Sign”. In the past my “User Name” was not an exact match to my “Call Sign” - is this part of my problem (if it’s now a SSO then which one is the correct one to use?) However, in all cases I had always tried to use the same passwords.

I’m sure there is a series of steps I need to take but I’ve tried many different combinations without success. At this point I can log in to other pages, but I cannot log in to the maps page. Normally I’d submit this via the “Contact” menu but maybe others will face similar issues so I decided to post it here, hopefully that’s ok.

Merry Christmas all!

73 de Keith KR7RK

This happens occasionally as we integrate these things. Try refreshing the page you’re on with F5 or Ctrl+F5 and try again.

You (and others) often mention “pages”, but what you’re actually talking about are different WEBSITES, which are created and maintained by different teams, and which reside on different machines in different countries.

It might help to think of these websites as different buildings on the same street, with each of these buildings having several rooms - the rooms being the pages. So, the sotamaps site (building) has pages (rooms) called “main”, “range”, “tracks”, etc, each reached by the sotamaps menu which acts as a corridor between the rooms.

Sotawatch has its’ own pages (rooms) called “alerts”, “spots”, etc., but is a completely separate website (building) to sotamaps. And so on…

HTH,
Rob

1 Like

You’re right - this is a source of confusion, and a short guide should be written to explain how to login to the various sites. Perhaps Andrew @VK3ARR could provide us with one…