Smartphone watch site

I was looking at the sotawatch site on my iPhone the other day and thought about how I’d like the data presented to me.

So, I’ve put together a site (treat it as beta) that makes viewing the spots easier (only my option).

In the spirit of things I wanted others to be able to benefit from it, so I’ve made it available to anyone to use.

I’ve tested it from an iPhone 4 and a Samsung android phone (can’t recall the model).

It’s available at http://voov.co.uk

Any constructive comments or suggestions are most welcome.
73 Stewart M0SCU

In reply to M0SCU:
Hi Stewart

Works with my HTC. But, there’s always a “but”, have you looked at the extended data for W5N/PW-007 - puts him somewhere in the Gambion!

Peter

G01FOA
(Out along the South coast tomorrow but not sure where)

In reply to G1FOA:
Thanks for testing on HTC, I see problem, lat longs for that one are not in decimal format (I really should have inspected the data better), will add that to my list.
Stewart M0SCU

In reply to G1FOA:
Hi Peter,

I’ve just checked and I need to update my summits data, I think the version I have is one I’ve had for a while… say no more :slight_smile:

Stewart M0SCU

In reply to M0SCU:

Just some thoughts, there is no right or wrong way to display data, just ways that more people like or less people like. Actually displaying the way I like is the right way but you knew that! :slight_smile:

So let’s pretend you’re sat in a design meeting like the ones we have where I work and your programming buddies get to rip your work to shreds. You go away bruised and dejected but you come back with something better much better. You also know you get to rip their work to pieces at a later date!

1. Colour? There is none. Why?

2. “One hour ago”, no use unless the time now is displayed somewhere. Are you going to continuously update the display so 1 hour ago eventually becomes 2hrs ago? If I’m not updating the display regularly on my device I don’t know how valid 1 hour ago is.

3. The comments are less useful than the freq/ref and call, use a bigger font etc. to highlight the important stuff. Comments can appear when you select the item. Gives more room for stuff that helps you have a contact with this station.

4. display the Maidenhead locator and beam heading to spotted station. use the inbuilt GPS to work out beam heading. Much more use than a map displayed on a wee screen.

5. for stations outside your country display the local time for the station. You’ll know how long he may be there if you know the local time.

6)why not use the RSS feed and have the app get the data from the RSS feed and display the data that way instead of pointing at a web server. OK you’ll need a different app for both 'droid and JobsOS but you get to use the best features of each OS to use rather than trying to make it work just on a browser? I can see the advantage of a browser solution is that the server can grab the summits info and use that rather than the mobile app needing to carry the data it with it.

You may disagree with all the above, that’s fine, this display is for your needs first. Or they may trigger a few “yup, that’s a good idea, onto the todo list with that one.” Or even “he’s mad, forget that!”

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your feedback, all tastes were not created equal so great to get another perspective.

In reply:

1. No color or real “design” as it’s prolly as much a proof of concept as it is a beta.

2. Cool will add the time plus mod to add hours and mins ago. Yes the list auto updates (ajax/jquery) so no need to do any refreshing.

3. Very valid points

4. Will add that functionality to the wish/task list, not really a massive job.

5. Another one for the list :slight_smile:

6. The advantage of the browser solution is the flexibility in development plus the cross platform compatibility for zero investment of time. The spots are from the rss feed, the web server polls the rss feed periodically. Timings for that and the list refresh will need tweaking. At the moment the list reloads so and trying not to update too often to save people’s data bundles. I have a prototype for single spot updates similar to how twitter appends new tweets, but that’s a little time off.

Thanks again for taking time to help.

73 Stewart M0SCU

In reply to M0SCU:

Hi Stewart

Just tried it on my Samsung Galaxy S2 with Android v.2.3.4 and it works rather well with a very nice presentation. Keep up the good work!

Thanks & 73s
Alan M0DDC

In reply to M0DDC:
Nice one, thanks. Looks good on my iPhone. All this third party software development is a brilliant addition to the scheme.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to M0SCU: Have you looked at the android app “Sotawatch” by Sanjin Tajic, E71DX? It is available in the play store.

I was looking at the sotawatch site on my iPhone the other day and
thought about how I’d like the data presented to me.

So, I’ve put together a site (treat it as beta) that makes viewing the
spots easier (only my option).

In the spirit of things I wanted others to be able to benefit from it,
so I’ve made it available to anyone to use.

I’ve tested it from an iPhone 4 and a Samsung android phone (can’t
recall the model).

It’s available at http://voov.co.uk

Any constructive comments or suggestions are most welcome.
73 Stewart M0SCU

In reply to K0LAF:

In reply to M0SCU: Have you looked at the android app “Sotawatch” by
Sanjin Tajic, E71DX? It is available in the play store.

Nope, I hadn’t seen that… I’ll get my mate with an android phone to get it… Screenshots look good tho.

In reply to K0LAF:
It looks very good on Toshiba TG01 (WM 6.5.1) with simple HTML, I set a bookmark :slight_smile:
Congrats es 73!