Situation Vacant: SOTA Database Administrator

Gary Bleads G0HJQ wishes to relinquish his position as SOTA Database Manager:
Gary devised and ran the database for SOTA and it is no exaggeration to say that the programme as we know it would have been impossible without his contribution. However Gary has little spare time to maintain the database, so the Management Team therefore needs a volunteer to replace Gary in the Team.

The task of the Database Manager is to ensure the routine operation of the SOTA Database and website, and to make the occasional bug fix and enhancements, as required by the rest of the SOTA programme. The database
website has been very reliable, and is often able to run for months without any serious problems.

Routine tasks include:

• Taking regular backups of the database

• Answering email enquiries

• Occasional modification of data stored in the database (for example to correct errors in activator entries). This is done by writing a custom SQL statement, and running it on the live database, so care needs to be taken!

• Producing the occasional custom report (by creating and running SQL queries.)

The SOTAData website has been written using the following technologies :

Microsoft SQL Server - for the data storage

Microsoft ASP.NET - for the web site

Microsoft C# - for the programming

The administrator will probably need to be familiar with Microsoft SQL Server management console (to administer the database), and Microsoft Visual Studio (to edit the code and website.)

The replacement database administrator will need a (fairly basic) knowledge of the SQL database query language, plus some website development using Microsoft ASP.Net. C# experience would be useful, but the program code is fairly simple, so someone with decent VB.Net should have no problems picking it up.

Many parts of the website are fairly old now (circa 2001 - ancient in internet terms), so if anyone with the necessary skills offers to re-write it in another technology, this would be perfectly satisfactory. Alternatively it could be updated to the latest version of .Net, which would simplify the code quite a lot, and should improve performance and security.

The successful candidate for the post should be based in the UK so that he/she could attend the regular meetings of the Management Team, and should have an excellent command of English as most of the enquiries that might have to be dealt with regarding database problems will be in English.

Anybody interested in the post should email the Management Team. Gary G0HJQ
will deal with any technical questions.

Please email Summits on the Air and select “The Management Team - General.”

In reply to Gary:

Thank you for your excellent work Gary.
I also thank you for your quick responses to our questions.

73 Alain F6ENO

In reply to F6ENO:

Yes, I would like to echo Alain’s comments. As a complete layman with regards to computer programming, I can only say “respect” to you Gary for all the hard work that you have put into the database. It is at the very heart of SOTA.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G8ADD:
Many thanks Gary for all the work,you are truly the unsung hero of SOTA.
Rob
G4RQJ

In reply to G8ADD:
Gary, Thank you for all your time and hard work in producing and maintaining the SOTA database. It has played a big part of the success and enjoyment of SOTA.

Thank you!

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to G8ADD:

Thank you Gary for all the work you have put in over the years, you will be a hard act to follow! Apart from the downtime we had a few months ago, which was no fault of yours, I have found the database, website & Sotawatch to be amongst the most reliable websites I use. The fact that I can use Sotawatch & the reflector from my phone, with very quick loading time, also says a lot for keeping things “Simple”, with nothing superfluous on here to slow things down. A very sensible idea for a facility that is used by stations in some very remote locations with less than ideal mobile coverage.

Once again, Thank you, & best of luck to you successor.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to MW0IDX:

Seconded - wholeheartedly.

73, Richard

In reply to G8ADD:
You did a fantastic job! Thanks for that. 73s Walter (ON6NW)

In reply to G8ADD:

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your excellent work over the years!

73 Luc ON6DSL