Show us your rig! (Part 1)

It was great time…now lightweight with KX2 & Aerial 51 ANT / HFP-1.

Cheers, Emil, de DL8JJ

dmhe023_02dmhe023_03dmhe023_01

4 Likes

SWR-Grees renders that a non-issue.

http://www.rsgbshop.org/cgi2/sh000033.pl?WD=grees%20swar&PN=RSGB-Special-Offer-Products.html#a1635

2 Likes

Here’s my setup from last nights’ activation of Shining Tor:

I think I need a slightly lighter power source…

Simon (with tired arms today!)

3 Likes

Well that’s one definition of portable Emil!

1 Like

Hello,
Last year I sold my old FT-817 (shown in this post up there…) and I replaced it with a LNR LD-5.

I don’t see it here around so I just add it for reference… This is a SSB / CW / Digi rig compact and light (abt 600 grams). Happy with its performance.

I think I will write a full review article in short in a separate thread.
73 de Ignacio

3 Likes

Hi Ignacio,

Apart from the size of the display your LNR LD-5 looks remarkably similar to the Sky-SDR from Aerial-51 (Spiderbeam) - it it the same rig?

https://www.aerial-51.com/new-sky-sdr/

73 Ed.

1 Like

HB1B 5 bands CW 5W transceiver with internal Li-Ion battery pack, single band dipole(s), RG-58 coax, home made keyer, headphone. Everything does not weight too match, compared to previously used FT-857D and FT-817ND.

1 Like

Hi Ed,
it is the same engineering, with a difference in the bands covered by the rig.

• LNR is the USA dealer for LD-5 (5 bands, 40 - 15m HF) and LD-11 (11 bands 160 - 6m).

• Aerial 51 is the EU dealer for SKY-SDR (which is the same as LD-11).

I bought LD-5 because I operate most frequently on 40 - 30 - 20 m, and there is a 200$ difference between both rigs.
The engineering responsible of such rigs is in LZ.

73 de Ignacio

1 Like

From http://rsgbshop.org/acatalog/RSGB-Special-Offer-Products.html
“Leave at least 1cm between the SWAR-GREES® and the connectors (otherwise this would create a reverse balun)” :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I will buy it because I really need that reverse balun.
That would allow me to charge the endfed with QSos prior to a summit activation… :wink:

73 de Pedro, CT1DBS/CU3HF

8 Likes

This is where many of us have been going wrong.

Failure to pre-charge the antenna with QSOs, how could I have missed that! :blush:

5 Likes

Just received! New Youkits 2018 model.

5 Likes

I’ve only been charging my batteries! Is that the problem?

Perhaps one of those chargers is a suitable gift this season. Depending on the orientation of the charger, those with vertical antennas will have more or less success, I guess! :slight_smile: does a switchmode supply provide both LSB and USB?

28oz. Battery, antenna, key, case, etc. Antenna is a linked 20/30/40 EFHW.

4 Likes

more of an outdoor chasing rig than a summit rig :laughing: :scream: :crazy_face:

1 Like

used to go with an Icom 703 to the sotatops, then a KX2, now I use this kitradio DB4020 which I mounted in a firm military box. :slight_smile: The KX2 come along too in case the kitradio would break down.

Note the battery is an old laptop battery, the key is made from a relay. :smiley:

7 Likes

There’s a wonderful “McGuyver” feel to that radio Frank. :wink:

I’ve taken 18650 cells out of laptop packs and use to power radios. The worry is all the laptops at work of the last 4 years have used thin flat battery packs that don’t look so easy to strip. I might have to actually buy some 18650s one day!

1 Like

For last two years I was using uBITX v3 multiband TRX with 10-18W output PEP, now I upgraded to mcHF QRP from M0NKA giving me 12W on 40 and 20. Here it is in situe. I use EFHW4010 and LiFePO4 battery pack rated 4Ah @ 12V

3 Likes

Foxx-3

QCX+

LNR MTR3b

This is my setup. The photo is from five years ago, but the equipment hasn’t changed. Willson Peak (W6/NC-182) was a pretty steep hike, but it was very RF quiet up there.

Imgur

wunder

Hi,

Did you build your McHF ? I’m interested in building one.

73 Patrick TK5EP