Show us your rig! (Part 1)

I was looking hard at those little X108 radios… Glad to hear they’re working out for you! How is your power consumption with that rig?

I’ve got two possible rigs I can run:

This is my FT-817 setup (non-ND)
I have a homemade linked dipole for 40/30/20m on top. Sotabeams 125W balun at the center, drilled PVC pipe for insulators, Powerpoles for links. I’ve got 75ft of poly rope with a small carabiner on one end and a padlock on the other - The padlock is my throwing weight and the carabiner clips to my balun to hoist it.
I’ve got 2 accessories for the FT-817 - A DYC-8x7 speech processor for SSB and a Wolphilink for PSK31 with my Android (though I haven’t had a chance to really use it yet and I think it needs some tuning)
50ft of RG-58A/U coax with adapters for BNC and UHF
I usually use the black battery pack (6AH, 3A max) but I can go down to the 3 cell 18650 pack if I want (3AH 10A max).
The little breathmint pack holds a USB charger that takes 6-40VDC, and I made a little Powerpole splitter so I can charge my phone and run my rig at the same time - My phone has terrible battery life and might need life support if I run PSK31.

Alternately, I can go with my TJ5A for 20W of power with an internal 4AH battery, ditch the phone charger, battery, cables, Wolphilink, and speech processor.

I’m still super green at this, so I’ve got a lot of development left to do I think. I’ve got a 20ft fishing pole in the mail for a mast, and my setup will probably change as I get experience.

Here you are you setups.

817 for ssb/cw and lipo 3s battery, for standard Sota
Tentec R4030 with 3x18650 battery for high mountains with a long path.

2 Likes

Hi SOTA om’s

here is my humble equipment.

40m homemade qrp 2W

and more than 20 years old FT-817

Always using 2,5w on 817. Antenna is homemade 4 band end-feed with traps and 3S LiIon with solar charging.
Portable mast is from dx-wire with top two sections removed.

3 Likes

You kits HB-1B has become the primary with homebrew linked dipole the Mouse is a backup CW Key. I still use the 817 on occasion but the HB1B is light and I can also pack it with me when I go to work and do an impromptu SOTA when I have a long enough overnight

Hi Adam -
Fun post - thanks for the idea.
Here’s a rig that I used on Tiirismaa, Finland a few years back. About one kilo total (w/o GPS and FM rig). MTR two band (40m & 20m) with 8 AAA batteries and EFHW tuner plus SWR indicator in a bento box. Waterproof logbook with a micro paddle. Everything fits inside the HP bag (well, except the FM rig and GPS). Antenna gets thrown into a tree - one corner of antenna winder can be seen under the bag.
Etienne-K7ATN

1 Like

I photographed the kit I used on my most recent activation, and posted the photo there:

Here’s a small sample of my SOTA rigs -

Small Wonder Labs SW-40+, SW-20+, MTR-5B, 1st and 2nd edition MTRs, KD1JV Soda Pop ‘Coaster’ and K1SWL Hilltop 20.

I also have a very early FT817 dating from 2001 which is still providing good service, about 10 RockMites, a home brew BITX20 SSB rig and MKARS80 80m SSB rig.

Another SODA Pop is awaiting a case and I’m hoping that a QRP Labs QCX will come along in the near future. QCX 5W CW transceiver kit

4 Likes

Google Photos
Here’s my KX3 setup on San Benito Mountain.

Google Photos
Here’s the MTR 3B on Peak 1180

The MTR setup is much lighter, and much more pleasant to carry long distances. Maybe I need to get a MTR 5B so I can get the higher bands without the weight of a KX3.

I’m in the process of assembling a VHF setup based on the KX3 and the Ukrainian transverters. I can post a picture once I’ve done some VHF+ activations.

1 Like

I use a UK/RT320 at 30 w PEP and built in tuner. SSB or CW. Not a light setup but lots of fun. Carries in it’s own backpack and 2 pouches hold antenna, headset, CW gear etc.

1 Like

2 Likes

Hi Kjetil,
My X108G has now taken over from my FT817 plus vastly modified ramsey amplifier as my main SOTA rig. I’m still getting used to it and having to go to a different level of menu to where I normally leave it to change mode from USB to LSB or vice versa is not ideal but I’ve just realised I can leave one VFO on 40m and use tyhe other for the other bands as the VFO A or B remembers not only the Frequency but also the mode and power out settings. the SWR scan feature is really nice when using antennas without an ATU.

73 Ed.

4 Likes

Congratulations on the new toy :slight_smile: I’m still very pleased with mine. I have a slightly older edition though.

1 Like

It was great time…now lightweight with KX2 & Aerial 51 ANT / HFP-1.

Cheers, Emil, de DL8JJ

dmhe023_02dmhe023_03dmhe023_01

4 Likes

SWR-Grees renders that a non-issue.

http://www.rsgbshop.org/cgi2/sh000033.pl?WD=grees%20swar&PN=RSGB-Special-Offer-Products.html#a1635

2 Likes

Here’s my setup from last nights’ activation of Shining Tor:

I think I need a slightly lighter power source…

Simon (with tired arms today!)

3 Likes

Well that’s one definition of portable Emil!

1 Like

Hello,
Last year I sold my old FT-817 (shown in this post up there…) and I replaced it with a LNR LD-5.

I don’t see it here around so I just add it for reference… This is a SSB / CW / Digi rig compact and light (abt 600 grams). Happy with its performance.

I think I will write a full review article in short in a separate thread.
73 de Ignacio

3 Likes

Hi Ignacio,

Apart from the size of the display your LNR LD-5 looks remarkably similar to the Sky-SDR from Aerial-51 (Spiderbeam) - it it the same rig?

https://www.aerial-51.com/new-sky-sdr/

73 Ed.

1 Like

HB1B 5 bands CW 5W transceiver with internal Li-Ion battery pack, single band dipole(s), RG-58 coax, home made keyer, headphone. Everything does not weight too match, compared to previously used FT-857D and FT-817ND.

1 Like

Hi Ed,
it is the same engineering, with a difference in the bands covered by the rig.

• LNR is the USA dealer for LD-5 (5 bands, 40 - 15m HF) and LD-11 (11 bands 160 - 6m).

• Aerial 51 is the EU dealer for SKY-SDR (which is the same as LD-11).

I bought LD-5 because I operate most frequently on 40 - 30 - 20 m, and there is a 200$ difference between both rigs.
The engineering responsible of such rigs is in LZ.

73 de Ignacio

1 Like