Should I buy a new 2m handheld?

Never been in situation with strong out-of-band signals so far. The wide band receive means that there is a ferrite antenna included also for HF too. In AM and FM only of course. For the amateur bands this is not active.

73s Joe

My preference is the Kenwood D72A. This radio is dual band, 144 and 430 and includes APRS with the potential for using APRS to self spot on remote summits. Another plus for the APRS is that my XYL can track my progress. I have a Baofeng and an older Yaesu but the D72a has become my HT for activations.

I was about to start a new thread on VHF/UHF handheld performance in the presence of strong RF signals, but found that the discussion was already started here.

I’ve been using an FT-1DR for my SOTA activations and really like having APRS and two receivers. Lately, I encountered several summits that have a significant number of radio transmitters which caused severe interference on 2 meters. So now I am re-thinking the use of the FT-1DR.

My first thought is to try a single band 2m HT such as the FT-270 or similar. But I do have an FT-60 available which might be just as good. Not sure.

This leads to a few questions for the collective wisdom and experience of the group:

Has anyone done a comparison of these radio’s receive performance in the presence of interference?
A side-by-side comparison on a difficult summit would be great…a setup on a test bench would be even better.
Has anyone tried an FT-60 on a known difficult summit?
Any other brilliant thoughts, opinions or excuses? :grin:

73, Bob K0NR