Shorter days

In my opinion it is a pity that the rules allow us to activate the hill only once per calendar year for the points credited to our SOTA account. I understand that this forces us to activate wider range of SOTA hills and to diversify the SOTA program this way, but in the coming winter the days are shorter and shorter and it is difficult to go on a long trip after work time.
Sometimes I wonder why not have the option to activate the hill for the points for both activator and chaser more often, at least half a year, maybe once in summer and once in winter.

However, from my side it is only a reflection of my capabilities and wishes.

73!

Karel OK2BWB

In reply to OK2BWB:

I too think it’s worth considering - points for the same activation every 3 or 6 months. Another factor is the limited number of summits within a reasonable driving distance. If you are very active, it can be easy to “run out” of summits to activate in one year.

Barry N1EU

In reply to N1EU:

This have been discussed many times in the last 3 years and don’t expect dramatic changes on this rule.

I think to give activator points at least 2 times a year would be great.

In reply to N1EU:

This topic comes up periodically on the reflector! The MT reviews the situation from time to time, but so far the argument holds sway that 1/2 activations per year makes sure that activators spread their activity around more summits - at least in most cases! :wink:

Note above I mentioned 1/2: you can activate a summit in the summer and go back to it to collect the winter bonus. This is particularly worthwhile in the case of a two point summit where the bonus is worth more than the summit score, and a 2 point summit is more likely to be practicable than a higher scoring summit in winter! This is why the MT try to ensure that any new Association has a range of summits available where geography permits.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Note above I mentioned 1/2: you can activate a summit in the summer and go back to it to collect the winter bonus.

Good idea, but only if you have summits with winter bonus in your region :wink:

After changing the rules from 01/01/2010 we just got 1 summit left
(out of 155) valid for winter-bonus in the DM/HE-region.
Funny is that this summit (DM/HE-001)is the most easily accessible,
with car-park and restaurant.

Vy73 Fritz HB9CSA,DL4FDM

In reply to G8ADD:

This topic comes up periodically on the reflector! The MT reviews the
situation from time to time, but so far the argument holds sway that
1/2 activations per year makes sure that activators spread their
activity around more summits - at least in most cases! :wink:

Hypothetically, in terms of statistics, if the activators and the hills are spread “reasonably evenly” and if each activator activates its territory, there should be no reason to worry about the low diversity, this could be compensated by generally higher number of activations in each area. Moreover, in the summer time are much greater travel options and so longer trips are obvious anyway.

Karel OK2BWB

In reply to OK2BWB:
For more discussions held earlier revealed that the management of any such changes do not match. Unfortunately, in my opinion, it would be logical to dramatically reduce the number of activations when activator encounters its own limits. Neither winter bonus is not a sufficient solution when only applies to higher summits. I also suggested for re-activation some part of points-gain. In the current situation we may ask for a table remaining activation number for zero points and compete with each other for the greatest number of zeros, hi … For some activators, who would not want to even compete in it, it means waiting until next year …
… All in good, 73 Petr OK3EQ

You can activate a summit as many times as you wish every year. It is just that you will only collect points one or two times, as outlined above.

This has proved to be a stable and effective system over the last ten years, and I personally see no advantage in changing it.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Mathematical main disadvantage that I have in mind is that the repeated activation is not reflected in any number. Information about it is lost in the overall score.

After reaching MG I am not trying to get as many points, but not only as a mathematician bothers me a bit that my activity is manifested only by zeros :slight_smile:

But in any case, hats off, the SOTA program is very nice and sophisticated, thanks for it.

I look forward to each activation and nice experience of staying on top of the hill established in a beautiful landscape and fresh radio communication naturally remain elsewhere than in a zero score…

Karel OK2BWB

In reply to OK2BWB:

Mathematical main disadvantage that I have in mind is that the
repeated activation is not reflected in any number. Information about
it is lost in the overall score.

At least the cumulative number of QSOs increases on each worked band. See for example

http://www.sotawatch.org/summits.php?summit=G/SP-015

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

Yes, the cumulative QSO numbers increase. Also, on the main Activator Roll of Honour, the number of activations (first column) increases as well. Furthermore, and chaser points gained during your activation are valid - and not zero (unless you work two or more from the same summit hi!).

From early next year, you will be able to build your score for the new S2S Award on “zero point” activations as well (although you will build it more quickly from scoring activations of course).

A couple of my recent “zero point” activations of one of my local summits have included a DX S2S contact in the log, one into W2 and one into W6. So those activations were definitely worth doing and carry some good data that is pleasing to see in the SOTA Database.

Tom M1EYP (also a mathematician BTW!)

Good point; even a 0 point activation might get you some new QRP DXCC and WAZ areas.