Shared Border Summits

I have come across a few summits on boarders between countries that have reference numbers in boat associations.

How does one go about activating these?
Can you only activate using one association reference on that day?
Can you activate the summits using one association reference once finished then use the other reference and activate it gain on the same day?

Thanks

Darius
OK7OK

In reply to OK7OK:
Yes Darius,
you can activate both references ! there is no rules for that !
take points ! and chasers also !! everybody is pleased !!

good luck !!
Bob
F5HTR

In reply to OK7OK:

General rule 3.7.1 clause 13 covers this case.

In reply to M1MAJ and OK7OK:
So Darius you can !!
Lots of OM has already done it.

In reply to F5HTR:
Yes there is a rule so you need to read it carefully. Essentially since you are required to be “within the jurisdiction of the appropriate Association” then operating from one single location would not comply with that.
73 Jim g0cqk

In reply to G0CQK:
why not? if the summit is shared by both countries. are you saying i need to find the border line move over by 1 meter to be across the border?
Darius OK7OK

as I understand it

I can operate the summit on the same day and from both associations.

But I would have to activate the summit 2 times because I would need to abide by the amateur radio rules of the other country and use the appropriate prefix on my call.

To use an example OK/KR-001 (the highest summit in OK) is also SP/KA-001 in Poland

I would first have to activate as OK7OK/p on OK/KR-001 once fished then start and activate again as SP/OK7OK/P on SP/KA-001.

Hopefully I have got this all correct.

Darius OK7OK

p.s I think the “Plain English campaign” needs to look at 3.7.1 clause 13 at some stage

In reply to G0CQK:

Yes there is a rule so you need to read it carefully. Essentially
since you are required to be “within the jurisdiction of the
appropriate Association” then operating from one single location
would not comply with that.
73 Jim g0cqk

In fact there are two rules which are differing in detail. Chapter 2 Definitions says “Operating Position:
The precise location of the transmitter that is being used by an Activator for the purposes of activating a Summit”. Whereas Rule 3.7.1.13 says “Unless the licensing regulations decree otherwise, the position of the Operator is deemed to be the Operating Position.”
So to be on the safe side, both operator and transmitter should be within the jurisdiction of the appropriate Association. In fact this can be done by moving only one meter in case the position of the border is known so exact.

So I agree absolutely with Darius’ postings of 25th April 2012 at 18:14 and 18:15.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

In reply to OK7OK:

"p.s I think the “Plain English campaign” needs to look at 3.7.1 clause 13 at some stage "

It seems quite clear to me, Darius, how would you improve it?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Hi Brian,

I am an native English speaker myself so after reading it twice I get what it is saying but having lived abroad for a long time with none native English speakers I think that this sentence may cause some confusion as to what is trying to say.

“Unless the licensing regulations decree otherwise, the position of the Operator is deemed to be the Operating Position.”
would be interesting to see how a none English speaking association has translated this sentence into their language then translate back to English to see what it looks like. At the moment can’t come up with anything more simplistic, just every time I read it it reminds me of small print at the bottom of contract.

As regards the first part I would just add two words. “for” between “points” and “each” and one word to clarify the word “jurisdiction” in regards this particular issue.

“the Activator may claim points for each Association provided that the
Operating Position is always within the jurisdiction (borders) of the appropriate Association.”

Darius OK7OK

In reply to OK7OK:
Hi Darius,
look at
Imgur
transceiver sits exactly over the border line drawn precisely in the stone.
I (“the operator”) sat on the austrian side activating OE/BL-001 as OE/OK2QA/P.
Then totaly frozen made a short pause jogging around the place to warm up a bit, moved the chair to hungarian side a activated HA/ND-001 from there as HA/OK2QA/P. Well within the rules as I understand them. WFWL.
73 Ruda OK2QA

In reply to OK7OK:

Yes, I see what you mean, Darius. This could be simplified to make it clearer, or even possibly left out completely, it is there so that an activator knows that it is were he is, rather than where the antenna is, that is important.

I doubt that there is much time available at present to do anything about the rules, but they do need a bit of a make-over when time permits: for instance I don’t think they even mention the “Activation Zone”, referring instead to “Vertical Distance”.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to OK7OK:
Darius
You can activate the both reference. F6HBI and I (F5LKW), we were QRV with two stations.
First in France: 7 MHz and the second one in Italy: 10 MHz.
It was Really funny because in France no bonus points and in Italy lucky = 3 points bonus.
Then when french bonus saison is over we go to Italy for 2 weeks more.
WX in Italia is really different than France. Winter is longer :-))
Vidéo: F/AM-351 . I/LG-305 -- F/AM-457 . I/LG-327 -- I/LG-307 - YouTube
73 QRO
ROGER

In reply to OK2QA:
Hi Ruda,

Thanks for the photo and explanation, it makes it very clear to understand how it should be done.
Darius OK7OK

In reply to F5LKW:
Hi Roger,
Thanks for the comments, great Video, and an amazing view.
Darius

In reply to OK2QA:
But of course the points situation is interesting:
If in summer you activate HA/ND-001 10pts and OE/BL-001 2pts you gain 12pts.
If in winter you activate HA/ND-001 13pts and OE/BL-001 5pts you gain 18pts.
If between 16th March and 31st March you activate HA/ND-001 10pts and OE/BL-001 5pts you gain 15pts - due to different bonus periods similar to that pointed out by Roger.
All of which makes SOTA more interesting. Did I work that out right?
73 Jim g0cqk

In reply to G0CQK:
To morrow, 26/04/2012 i will be operating from I/LG-309 an F/AM-512…
climbing the same Monte Grammondo (Mont Grand Mont)from French side and going down the summit via the Italian side; hope to cu on cw, 73’s Gerald F6HBI