Seeking NA Chasers - 26 Nov 16

Hi Gerald

Paul and I are planning a second S2S ‘experiment’ to validate the success of last week’s effort. I see this as the discovery phase of what’s possible. If our next experiment delivers the same outcome, a S2S between NA and VK, then our combined efforts will have demonstrated to NA and VK activators the opportunities are there for others to follow. The rewards offered by this program are commensurate to one’s input combined with a willingness to take risks but also accepting failure and try again… From here it’s over to VKs to decide if they too have a desire to be on a VK summit at 6 am local (east coast VK) for an opportunity to work NA S2S?

Paul and I have demonstrated to NA and VK activators a propagation path exists for 18, 21 and 24 MHz. Having used omnidirectional antennas, what I cannot say with any confidence is which path did our individual radio signals follow, long or short?

In addition to the next experiment, my input to the discovery phase will continue. In early January 2017 I am planning an overnight stay on Mt Ginini VK1/AC-008 (8 points) @ 1780 metres ASL where I plan to operate in the 1500 to 2000 UTC window, that’s 2 am to 7 am local time, for chaser QSOs on 14, 18, 21 and 24 MHz. Again my aim will be to work NA S2S. More detail on that experiment to follow.

73, Andrew VK1AD (one of the many VK Andrews)

Andrew, you will be solely SSB, correct?

Barry

Yes, however let’s see if I can convince a CW operator to join me. :wink:

Andrew VK1AD

Sounds good Andrew. Best chance of success looks like +/- 1400-1500Z on 20M or 1500-1600Z on 17M.

Tempting!

Vhf field day contest weekend is 14-15 Jan.

Hmm

Yes, I can see that Andrew. I think such an approach is very valid where there are a limited number of participants. My rather more direct approach for the NA-EU event was just to suggest a date. In the main it worked and I am grateful that it did. I appreciate that the number of activators across NA and EU is significantly larger than across VK and NA. As it turned out, there were a number of activators on both sides that did not make any S2S contacts across the pond. Naturally some were disappointed. Unfortunately it will always be so. However, I am a firm believer of the “if you don’t try, you don’t get” principle, so I hope that your further tests give encouragement to others to get out there and give it a go.

73, Gerald G4OIG

Andrew, if you have a date I’ll put it on the calendar. Lacking some prior commitment I’ll be on a peak.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

I understand, it’s a good idea to plan ahead. I have posted an alert for Saturday 7 January 2017. The activation of Mt Ginini will be subject to local weather conditions, extremes of heat and likely fire danger periods. I will confirm the plan about 5 days out.

My choice of dates is flexible at my end, I will be on 2 weeks of leave from my job, unfortunately 14/15 January are out for me.

73, Andrew VK1AD

P.S. I have posted an alert for 17 December 2016, next phase of the VK - NA S2S experiment :slight_smile:

The 7th of Jan is good for me, I posted an alert. I’ll think about what antennas I’ll use. I might have a portable antenna farm in the woods.

I won’t alert until/unless cw is confirmed.

Hi Barry,
My understanding is that Andrew (VK1AD)'s suggested dates are still tests and not the “actual” VK-NA S2S event. I am sure that when there is the actual event date agreed, there will be CW as well as SSB involvement and going by the last two events, possibly PSK31 as well.

73 Ed.

1 Like

yes, understood Ed. But a very important point is that Andrew will be activating at 1-3AM local time, which is probably going to be outside of any event schedule and probably any other activator’s comfort zone.

Just my 2¢ worth.

When workihg big distance s2s contacts, there’s always going to be an inconvienient time for someone. Depending on what Association you wish to work. Sometime you’re a winner and sometimes the loser. Nealy all of my VK/ZL contacts have involved 4AM local time alarm calls. Trust me, the NA/EU day was a real treat.

I was well aware that if I wanted VK/ZL DX, it would have to be earned, simply because the good conditions of three, two or even a year ago, weren’t going to last.

Of course, it takes two to tango and the VK/ZL guys are brilliant chasers and without them the activators would have a pretty miserable activation on a cold dark and often wet summit.

I’ve made more than 25 s2s contacts with Andrew VK1AD, working SSB, just about all of them 10,000 miles or more, as calculated by the Database which works on a short path calculation.

It’s amost a certainty, all of them have been long path. I know that virtually all the contacts I’ve made with the VK chasers using beams, have been completed long path.

I’ve put Barry and Andrews home towns into the distance calculator and it comes up as about 10115 miles. FWIW, my money would be on them making a contact using the mic, providing the K index behaves itself. Clearly, the time difference between NA and VK, is an issue, however, it all boils down to how badly you want a 10,000+ mile S2S in your log book.

GL.
Mike
2E0YYY

Mike, I only run a KX3 so ssb contact is very doubtful.

[quote=“N1EU, post:54, topic:14221, full:true”]

Hi Barry, I still think you can make the contact even with your KX3 and what I think is about 10 or maybe 12 Watts. It’s a case of finding the sweet spot in the window of opportunity you will have. I’ve been barely able to hear Andrew during some activations and 15 minutes later, we’re rag-chewing. What antenna are you planning to use?

Mike

44ft doublet

Hi folks in North America

As part of my attempts to work NA S2S, tomorrow I plan to activate Mt Stromlo from 19:45 +/- 15 min

I will start on 20m followed by 17, 15 and 12m with 10 min on each band.

My antenna changes will take 5 min each.

I will have 4G coverage and will spot when ready.

73 Andrew VK1AD

1 Like

Andrew, I plan to be on Wasson Peak, W7A/PE-052 in Southern Arizona at that time and will certainly do my best to make an S2S QSO with you.

73 Keith KR7RK

Live photo from Mt Stromlo, no NA chasers today.

Chasers in the log: ZL1BYZ, VK1MA, ZL2ATH, ZL1TZW, ZL3CC, VK7CW, ZL4IR, VK2UH and VK4RF.

Antenna is a 20m 1/2 wave wire radiator, impedance matched to 50 ohms using a J-Pole coax stub.

1 Like

I tried, Andrew. I got most of my rig set up, then I opened the compartment of my backpack where I keep my battery and…realized it was still sitting on the kitchen counter at home–freshly charged.

It was not only frustrating but a little embarrassing as I had an audience: a gentleman and his two little boys were watching and waiting to see my radio in action.

73, Steve W6SAE