Seasonal Bonus

In reply to all:

Gentlemen,

Once more, we can see in this thread that SOTA rules are:

• made for Great Britain; Tom’s statistics shows that they are good for GB; It’s better (for me) to do not make the same for France, and what about DL or DM associations…
  • An ennoying subjet for other associations; only F and OH gave their opinion; some people will conclued they are gainst us, and are pleased with actual rules.
  • a taboo subject… don’t change anything, and " if you dont like the rules then dont play the game".

That’s why I gave my resignation; AM and RM are only usefull to build their country ARMS, nothing more.

And if the Duke is a great man, my preference goes to Bernstein, Stravinsky or Maessian… and the Beatles

73 Alain F6ENO

2009…694, though 171 of those only activated once.

You can fool some people, sorry to disappoint you BUT I’m not one of them.

73 Chris 2E0FSR

In reply to 2E0FSR:

Activators active in ALL Associations by year, excluding those who only made one activation in that year:

2002…28
2003…78
2004…152
2005…214
2006…273
2007…380
2008…499
2009…523

Brian G8ADD

In reply to All:
Jazz is dead like most of the performers that play it ! It is for people who think they are sophisticated, but really they are just nerdy types trying their hardest to be popular. My Dad likes Jazz and he plays it in the car when we drive to the hills, its the only thing I dont like about my Dad.

If you check the stats, how many people have activated less than 5 times in a year, the figure will suprise you, these people are not regular activators. For real stats you need to see how many people activate say once a month, only then is it the truth of how popular activating is.

Now that James is no longer G/AM does that mean we can re-open the P100 debate ?

Morgan

In reply to M3LMP:

Not so, Morgan, jazz is alive, very much so, but since it requires more intellect from its listeners than pop, it has a smaller audience.

I posted stats excluding single activation activators, the same exercise could be done for 5 activations, you’re welcome to do it, the filters make it easy but long winded, but it raises a question. Is somebody who does one activation in a year on a 10-point summit less of an activator than somebody who does five one-point activations in a year? If you have a quick answer for that one, then is somebody who does four ten-point activations in a year less of an activator than somebody who does five one-point activations?

Difficult?

Let us just agree that the figures show a continuing growth of SOTA activity and not try and judge the worth of activators, after all, when you come down to it the real point is how much pleasure people get from taking part in SOTA.

Now my XYL is finally ready so I am off out, 73

Brian G8ADD

“Jazz isn’t dead, it just smells funny”.

Anyone name the originator of this classic quote?

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
According to google - Frank Zappa

In reply to G8ADD and M3LMP:

Hi Brian

Is somebody who does one activation in a year on a 10-point summit less of an activator than somebody who does five one-point activations in a year?

I think that this guy likes to climb and use his radio on a summit. If he was interessed in SOTA (and its rules), he would have climbed many summits to earn points and reach MG.

Morgan > Now that James is no longer G/AM does that mean we can re-open the P100 debate ?
my answer is “don’t waste your time”.

Now, here are some statistics for France:

2007 = 32 Calls (France started SOTA on April 1st);
10 stations activated less than 3 summits (1 or 2 activations, may be only to know what is SOTA)
2008 = 41 calls; 20 new, 11 have disappeared;
15 stations activated less than 3 summits
2009 = 48 calls, 17 new, 10 have disappeared;
21 stations activated less than 3 summits

May be french hams don’t like to climb, or may be they cannot climb because summits are too far from their home.
P100 in low regions, could have changed that.

73 Alain F6ENO

In reply to G8ADD:
My Dad tells me that intellect means the capacity for understanding, thinking, and reasoning, as distinct from feeling or wishing, which to me is the same as intelligence. Since when have you needed to be intelligent to listen to a type of music, music is a thing of emotion and feeling, to be entertained is not governed by onces intelligence.
I suppose like many other things in life, including SOTA, there will always be a smaller audience of Oldies who are not prepared to change or listen to new things for fear of losing their control over what they consider to be dear to them.

Morgan
M3LMP

In reply to M3LMP:
Morgan, this is essentially off-topic, but you have posed an intelligent question and I will pay you the respect of trying to answer it intelligently.

Any type of music can be enjoyed either passively, which is to let it wash over you and experience its emotional content, or actively, which is to understand the logical progression of the music, to be aware of the “nuts and bolts” of it. A classical symphony will start with a movement in sonata form, posing the interaction between two themes and two tonalities, if you can follow the fragments of themes and the progression of tonalities the drama of the music is increased for you, you are listening actively. Similarly in jazz you will get a theme, such as a blues or ballad, involving chord changes which act as signposts, and a soloist will improvise through those signposts putting in brief references to recognisable parts of the theme, grafting in parts of entirely different themes that happen to fit, and stringing them together with striking new progressions of notes that fit in or near the original chords. An interactive jazz listener will be aware of all these things going on, you will even get brief bursts of applause or comments like “Yeh, man!” acknowledging particularly clever tricks. This requires a bit more input from the listener, a degree of alertness and intelligence. I should add here that I have played both clarinet in classical orchestras and saxophone in jazz combos and bands, so I talk from experience!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to M3LMP:

Not so, Morgan, jazz is alive, very much so, but since it requires
more intellect from its listeners than pop, it has a smaller audience.

Hi Morgan,

You’re probably too young to remember the Fast Show. As a taste of what you may have missed …

73 Rick

In reply to M0RCP:
Rick thanks for the link, that was sooooooo funny, the guy at the front was just like Brian in the way he interpreted the music, almost mechanical in the way music is compiled. My last post as its OT like Brian says, but I am a drummer, like my Dad who has played in bands for 30 years on and off, and I like off beat rhythms, and abstract beats, but Jazz is like blue cheese, people pretend to like it because its supposedly sophisticated, and they wax lyrical about its subtle nuances of tone and note, taste and flavour, but really they eat it for effect.

To get back on topic, Brian what do you think about the P100 discussion, is it to be open for debate again now we are looking for a new G/AM ? At the same time I would also like to nominate my Dad for the post of G/AM.

Regards
Morgan

In reply to M3LMP:

To get back on topic, Brian what do you think about the P100
discussion, is it to be open for debate again now we are looking for a
new G/AM ?

Regards
Morgan

Actually it isn’t on topic, Morgan, but I’ll answer anyway.

Whether it is open to debate or not will be the decision of the new AM. The MT are not involved unless the AM makes a request for P100, in which case the MT will consider the request on its merits. Whether the MT grants P100 or not will depend on the case that the AM makes out for it.

Brian G8ADD

I really like jazz, and blue cheese.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I hate jazz and blue cheese.

I have been listening to Muse all day and eating cheddar.

Steve GW7AAV (Just to get the discussion back on topic you understand)

In reply to GW7AAV:

I have been listening to Muse

What’s the new(last) album like ? I heard it was more orchestral and less guitar based.

Andy
MM0FMF

p.s. It’s snowing hard again. But not as bad as Perth & Aberdeenshire.

In reply to MM0FMF:

Ah! Prog fans! I like HAARP and Black Holes and Revelations…and red Orkney cheese but Stilton is King!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to MM0FMF:

p.s. It’s snowing hard again. But not as bad as Perth & Aberdeenshire.

I was in Glasgow today. No snow there but raining and miserable.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Sleet / snow all day in Buxton, cat & fiddle shut again this afternoon.
Can`t go wrong with Buxton Blue from Hartington creamery.

In reply to G1INK:

Now Buxton Blue is a cheese and half Steve. Nom! Nom! Nom!

We had rain most of the morning, sleet in the afternoon and then the snow.

Hey Brian, this is for you to contemplate as I know you love typing… I’m sending this from a laptop I rescued. It was being binned because the battery only lasts 25mins and the Wifi was iffy. But the main reason is because the keyboard is German. The only way to use it is to NOT look at the keys. If you look at the keys you can’t find anything. If you just type it works fine. Sounds like just the keyboard for you! :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF