Seasonal Bonus - Query

In reply to G3NYY:

In the last couple of months I have worked SW-014, 16, 18, 21, 22, 26 and 27 and missed a few of the higher ones (wrong place at the right time!) but I agree that South Wales is under-activated by comparison with the rest of Wales - it’s probably too far for the visiting northeners, or they are too mean to pay the toll on the Severn bridges! :wink:

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

… or they are too mean to pay the toll on the Severn bridges! :wink:

Obviously you haven’t been down there much Brian. Access to the SW summits from the north is best achieved via the M50 which does not entail a toll. Exit from Wales via the M4 also does not incur a fee - you only have to pay to get into Wales via that route, so the disadvantage is really that of the southern activators.

I do agree that the SW summits are less popular than the NWs and MWs, but since Paul and myself have done the lot, I hope Walt won’t be looking in our direction for a solution. :slight_smile:

Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Tongue firmly in cheek, Gerald: I visit the Gower every year (prime SOTA country - not!) and used to enjoy the sea cliffs of Pembroke…and my family comes from Glamorgan, anyway! I find the paucity of SW activations puzzling, but admit I haven’t done a lot to put that right - yet!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

Tongue firmly in cheek, Gerald: I visit the Gower every year (prime
SOTA country - not!) and used to enjoy the sea cliffs of
Pembroke…and my family comes from Glamorgan, anyway! I find the
paucity of SW activations puzzling, but admit I haven’t done a lot to
put that right - yet!

I’ve never worked a single SW summit yet, although I know 'TJE did the rounds of quite a few of them last September.
I shall have to see what I can do in the Spring!
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

"I’ve never worked a single SW summit yet, "

Hi Walt - I did SW-010, 021, 022, 032, 039 a couple of months ago (plus 5 x GW/MW). However I was surprised to see how few times they had been done before. A very pleasant part of the country indeed. Next foray for uniques will be early Feb in GM/SS.

In reply to G1INK:

Next foray for uniques will be early Feb in GM/SS.

Ah yes, the famous free beer and bingo bash. Embibe well Steve so you minimise those Uniques. You’ve got to give Paul and myself a reasonable chance to catch up with you - now fair’s fair!

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

“You’ve got to give Paul and myself a reasonable chance to catch up with you - now fair’s fair!”

No way José - I`m even taking my fishing bivi so I can activate in the rain.

In reply to G1INK:

How well will the fishing bivvy stand up to snow? We’ve just had a couple of centimetres in fifteen minutes, by the way!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3NYY:

"I’ve never worked a single SW summit yet, "

At the end of August, Jimmy and I activate SW-001, SW-002, SW-009, SW-015 and SW-041, all on both VHF FM and HF CW.

Did you miss us???

Tom M1EYP

In reply to G8ADD:

“How well will the fishing bivvy stand up to snow?”

No problem Brian - it will just slide off the dome shaped shelter. Anyhoo - I hope to activate some of the 1 pointers on the Ayrshire coast - which we all know is bathed by the gulf stream & they can`t remember last time the snow laid :wink:

In reply to M1EYP:

At the end of August, Jimmy and I activated SW-001, SW-002, SW-009,
SW-015 and SW-041, all on both VHF FM and HF CW.

Did you miss us???

Yes. I didn’t start chasing until September 2009.
:frowning:

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G1INK:

“No way José - I`m even taking my fishing bivi so I can activate in the rain.”

Ah I see, the free beer and bingo is purely a smoke screen and activating is the real reason for going up there. You can come clean Steve and admit it to us - you are among friends. No-one is going to lambast you for activating uniques.

In reply to G8ADD:

We’ve just had a
couple of centimetres in fifteen minutes, by the way!

The snow has just started here in Tewkesbury. 5 minutes ago it was clear blue sky and sunshine.

Walt (G3NYY)

Hi All,

It has started snowing in Macclesfield although it is snowing lighter now.

I’m going to York tomorrow with my 6th form and we expect some snow in York tomorrow.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

I’m going to York tomorrow with my 6th form and we expect some snow in
York tomorrow.

Ooooh! Couldn’t you excuse yourself for half an hour and activate TW-004, Jimmy? It’s almost a drive-on summit and it’s just up the road.

Tee hee!
:wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

Even Jimmy couldn’t walk to TW-004 and back from York in half-an-hour Walt!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Even Jimmy couldn’t walk to TW-004 and back from York in half-an-hour
Walt!

A strapping young lad like him should look upon it as a challenge, Tom! But I was thinking more of the local Driffield bus service, actually.

:wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

Hi Walt,

I didn’t go to York today because of the high amount of snow. Instead I went to Chester. It was cold there that I didn’t want to activate Hope Mountain GW/NW-062.

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to M3EYP:

Hi Walt,

I didn’t go to York today because of the high amount of snow. Instead
I went to Chester. It was cold there that I didn’t want to activate
Hope Mountain GW/NW-062.

Hi Jimmy!

GW0DSP/P did Hope Mountain on Thursday anyway!
:slight_smile:

Walt (G3NYY)