Scam email - Google

Not SOTA and ‘off topic’ but via my callsign email address I received an email pretending to be from Google saying I had won a prize for 950k. A new one on me so beware of this scam.

Mike

In reply to G6TUH:

And? I get tens of these a week, all sorts of prizes and sob stories. Billions of them are sent each year. Some are quite funny and when I had more time I used to mess with the people who sent them. Nowadays they get filed in /dev/null straightaway.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I guess everyone has to be a newb once!

Richard
G3CWI (who ought to be on a hill but is coding instead)

In reply to G3CWI:

I suppose they only have to catch a few people to make it worthwhile. Anyway back to radio :sunglasses:

Mike

In reply to G6TUH:
This type of scam is so common that it found its way into Wikipedia:

Most spam filters should catch this already.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

In reply to DB7MM:
Hello Michael, yes it is very common and enough to get to Wiki. Recently I sold my Nissan 350Z and had 10 scam emails !!!
Best wishes
Mike

In reply to G6TUH:

So if it’s common enough to feature in Wikipedia what’s the purpose of including it verbatim on here? All it’s achieved is getting the mail digest version of the forum blocked by various spam filters.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I can’t speak for Mike, Andy, but it certainly wouldn’t have crossed my mind that this would be the outcome!

Brian GQ8ADD

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hello Andy, the outcome of the forum digest being blocked did not occur to me. The Google scam email was a new one to me. The reason I posted the email was because it was sent to my callsign email and I did not want anyone to be caught by it. Apologies to anyone who has had a problem receiving the digest,

Mike

In reply to G6TUH:

Removing the original content from the first post and replacing it with just a warning message may stop anything blocking further messages related to this thread.

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:

Good idea - done :sunglasses:

Mike