RSGB contests - new rules

In reply to G3WGV:
Most spots are done voluntarily and without request.

What would be the position of a SOTA Activator who was also taking part in the “carpacking” competition if a third party posted him without being requested to do so?

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

What would be the position of a SOTA Activator who was also taking
part in the “carpacking” competition if a third party posted
him without being requested to do so?

No problem with that at all as far as I can see. The rules relate to actions taken by the competition entrant only, not others. Provided the entrant has not submitted the spot themselves or soliticed anyone else to do it, it is quite in order for anyone to spot anyone they like!

Richard
G3CWI

I would also not see an issue with someone posting an alert for an activation on 6m for 10 mins prior to a 2m contest with the comment that “Other” bands will be used too. I think we are all edukated enuf to work that one out.

This is all just another example of red tape gone mad!

How about a bit of comradeship. Instead of asking for a spot to be placed for oneself on the spots pages, but a spot for another SOTA activator. In that way, the sota activators get the spots without breaking the rules.:slight_smile:

Ian
G7ADF

5/9 Ian, 5/9

WAP is a wonderful thing

Going off yesterday’s experience, everyone was swiftly and comfortably spotted by shack-based chasers within seconds of appearing. Jimmy did self-spot on arrival on summit, and we did further self-spots for changes of band/mode - but we needn’t have in all honesty - the chasers were on the ball.

At the end I did ask NHM to spot our QRT with 71 contacts, but that was more me wanting to say thanks & goodbye without using the phone to delay our departure from summit! SOTA-qualifying contest stations are going to be spotted quickly without them doing it or asking anyone to do so, no doubt about it. It’s a non-issue AFAIAC.