Reports

If the operator who relays reports is a SOTA chaser please decline the help which is NOT wanted,this will invalidate the claim for points as it also does for WAB.G0RQL.

These are things I do sometimes, are they wrong???

An activator calls in seeking a S2S. The other activator cannot hear them because of stronger stations or stations, which annoys me most, constantly bleating their callsign. I say “summit to summit is calling you” which creates the opportunity to make the S2S.

I hear a long distance station, say NA, trying to get through the EU sound wall. I call in and say NA is calling you and they listen for outside EU and it creates an opportunity.

Working a station in difficult conditions, poor propagation, contest QRM, callsign bleating or rapid QSB etc. The calling station does not hear the call back from the activator because of the above factors. So I say “go G1XXXX” and they make the contact. Of course it is in these circumstances the hijackers operate knowing full well that it was not them that the activator originally called back. I think the activator sometimes thinks that he or she misheard first time?

Chaser makes contact in difficult conditions. They confirm the correct RST in their response but are unsure if they did indeed get it right - because they have heard the report correctly then you could say “ok” or “good contact”?

On the general topic of reports. I hear a number of stations who call in with hefty signals and do not confirm they have heard their report but they know that there call is in the activators log so they are indifferent to the reports.

Mike G6TUH

In reply to G6TUH:
That’s OK Mike.
What Don is mentioning is the actual repetition of the signal report by a 3rd party - certainly for WAB that would invalidate the contact.

To say “OK” or “Good contact” satisfies all and allows the activator to move on to the next station more quickly.

73 Graham G4FUJ

In reply to G6TUH:
I had a hard one today on barden hill every time the weak station called in I got a noise or some one called over in the end could not get last letter of call , some one shouted it . As I could not finish qso it was not loged
Station called me after to tell me the letter , again as qso was not complete not loged
Lost count the amount of times other stations called over qso as well today

Ray g7tas

In reply to G4FUJ:

Absolutely Graham.

I fully agree with Don that this is a damn annoying activity. It happened the other week to me when I was on Deuchary Hill. I was having trouble getting a report through to a station with a high local noise level. After a few failed attempts a strong unidentified voice appear repeating the report.

This doesn’t help anyone. It doesn’t help the person who can’t copy the report because they still haven’t had a valid contact. It doesn’t speed up the run rate either. I assume some people do this to clear a difficult contact out of the queue so those waiting will get a shot at working. Some of my chasers with local noise issues will back off at this point not wanting to hog the activator even when the activator (me) wants to get a valid contact. So this QSPing of reports is a form of bullying. I’m prepared to continue working with such people until we, activator & chaser, decide the contact isn’t possible not until someone else decides.

There’s nothing wrong with the many who insert a “good contact” comment. Or who act as a contol station helping coordinate the overs. I’m always grateful for people who do this as they aid a contact without spoiling the validity of the exchange. It’s just those who QSP the actual report etc. that are spoling things. So please don’t do it.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I would classify this “damn annoying activity” as disruptive operating, if you can identify the station responsible, report him!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to MM0FMF:

I would classify this “damn annoying activity” as disruptive
operating, if you can identify the station responsible, report him!

Indded Brian,

In the case of Ray G7TAS and his kite antenna, if someone had blurted out the call of his JA contact, he’d have been a very sick bunny.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

In the case of Ray G7TAS and his kite antenna, if someone had blurted
out the call of his JA contact, he’d have been a very sick bunny.

Hello Mike, making the contact on the kite. I don’t think I would have been sick, I think I would have sobbed :wink:

Mike G6TUH

The question is:

If you need a 3rd party to confirm it was a good contact - then is it really a good contact? I feel that the acknowledgement is an important part of the communication.

I find all 3rd party interjections most irritating - “good contact”, a QSP of a signal report, a ‘helpful hint’ of a signal report (“no, it was a bit more than that, try again”), a callsign or even a “HI”.

Third parties should never try to help in any way - it doesn’t help. If a QSO takes longer because it is difficult, then so be it, that’s life. The ironic thing is, these QSOs take even longer whenever a 3rd party sticks his nose in!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to MM0FMF:

It’s just those who QSP the actual report etc. that are spoling things. So please don’t do it.<

Andy, as I see it you just do not log the QSP’d report - stating the fact ‘report not logged’ (possibly repeating this a few times?) and ‘try again pse and no QSP tks’ or ‘try later please - QRZ and no QSP tks’ This gives the chaser another chance and hopefully the human repeater gets the message?

Cheers

Jack (:>J
GM4COX