Redeeming IRCs

I received an IRC with a recent SWL card (from a DL when I was on 60m on G/WB-021).

Whilst an IRC was accepted (to return a QSL card) at my local post office a couple of months ago with just minor hiccup, today I was informed that they no longer accept them, but after the counter staff person made a phone call she was seemingly told that it could be accepted in place of the standard International 87p postage cost, but that they had to forward the coupon to an individual at some other Royal Mail location.

So if you have any unused IRC’s you may find it increasingly harder to use them.

Stewart G0LGS

In reply to G0LGS:

My local Post Office will accept IRC`s that are valid until the 31/12/13 but have stopped issuing them.

Roy G4SSH

In reply to G4SSH:

Hello Roy, yes indeed.

The ones I have received I am recycling now by sending them out on select contacts (new countries) to get rid of them. Shame IRC’s, were a good idea. I read somewhere that the USA will stop issue this year.

Mike G6TUH

Edit PS: I have also read somewhere (?) that the USA will stop issue of 1$ bills shortly. I wonder if NA friends have any news on this?

In reply to G4SSH:

In reply to G0LGS:

My local Post Office will accept IRC`s that are valid until the
31/12/13 but have stopped issuing them.

Hi Roy,

Same at my local PO :frowning:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:
I don’t have any friends - so I never have this problem ;-(

If IRCs and 1 dollar bills are going to be consigned to history, what will the new currency be to enclose with a reception report to a Latin American broadcast station I wonder? Maybe reporting and QSLing by email will become the norm for broadcast SWLs, it has definitely already started.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
LotW works well if you’re award chasing, but for direct QSL you can still buy IRCs. As far as I know, while the US and UK no longer sell IRCs they still have to honor them, so you could buy a stack of foreign IRCs for your direct QSLing. It’s an extra hassle for you, but not as much hassle as buying foreign stamps for every different country you might talk to.

The 1 dollar bill is still going to be around, but you might need two or more to cover rising postage charges. I tried to get 2-dollar bills here in Norway, but it seems my local money exchangers don’t have them. The weight savings would be a piddle, but it would have been neat.