Really SOTA?

Some of us do “scavage” the bands, Karel, it is fun to get to be the first one to post a spot!

This is not simple, SOTA is not straightforward. Do you drive further and activate for more points, or try to get two or more lower-scoring activations in one day, and are you interested in “completions”, which could influence your choice of summits. Then as the year progresses you can run out of the nearer and easier summits and have to climb higher summits, which may earn you the winter bonus - or should you have done them earlier in the year to get the bonus at the end of the season? Then there is the option to time your activations to other peoples activations to get S2S points? Also you might decide to travel into neighbouring Associations to earn or upgrade your “Mountain Explorer Award”.

The mainstream dynamics are easier for chasers, you just chase everything you hear and the awards build up automatically. For Activators you need to decide what you are going after and decide your strategy to advance you towards your goals.

Remember, some of us don’t do it for any reason other than that we love the mountains, the radio gives us a nice long break while admiring the view and perhaps see cloud formations changing or a passing eagle.

There are no “acceptable patterns” for thoughts about SOTA, we all have our own motivations and strategies. Yours are as valid as mine.

Brian

6 Likes

haha I have to do that too. And trekking up hills :smile:

Whether walking up hills, driving along roads or lane swimming at the leisure centre - I tend to get overtaken. It’s OK, I’m used to it.

1 Like

Well said, I like that.

2 Likes

I have similar feelings when being overtaken. Then I have a little fight with myself to suppress it :slight_smile:

I also like this type of QSO! Sometimes this one QSO takes time as the entire previous pile-up and then such a relaxed conversation concludes the activation process.

Well said…

Karel