RBN hole for the morse challenged?

Really.
Have you tried?
I have.

Tried what?

Sending CW CQ on voice portion see whether you get picked-up or not. Remember, not too high. You will be pleasantly (or not) surprised.

Off to get on my flight.

As I understand from reading the RBN Hole page; all it is interested in to trigger a spot is that you have already placed an alert ( It will post a spot based off the info contained in the alert), your call sign and the SOTA designation.

You must be in the lower portion of the CW band to be picked up by the skimmer.

CQ SOTA CQ SOTA de KG7VLX KG7VLX should trigger my alert to be turned into a spot. Web site recommends sending that at least twice.

My alert /spot will already have my frequency listed as 14.340 +/- 5 SSB along with my summit identifier which will be posted with out regard to the CW frequency I use to trigger the spot.

I have a Wolphi link box, an I phone with the Hamlog app or an Andriod tablet with the Dorid PSK app and a FT-817ND. Its my understanding that the Wolphi link is only for digital modes. Am I wrong about this ?

Basic question is still : How can I use an app to do the morse code portion and send it over the radio and trigger a spot?

Remember to use small words and not dots and dashes. :slight_smile: I know just enough to get into trouble.

Chris
KG7VLX

Your spot will be for the summit in the alert and for the frequency you called CQ on.

Plenty of apps that will generate audio from a text file. Search tools on the web. Record the audio and play it back when ready. Or use a memory keyer to play a cq call. The main thing skimmers look for is “cq de callsign”. They don’t care about sota.

When your CW cq is answered by 5 callers you may also need to transmit “SSB”.

Be aware too that some CW ops don’t use ssb and some CW radios cannot use ssb. Some CW ops expect a cq in CW to be answered in CW, just as you would expect an ssb cq to be answered in ssb.

Making a sked with a few friends and using a band with propagation might be easier than all this.

Good luck. 73 Andrew VK1DA VK2UH

Well here is an idea that could work if you have the urge: set your alert summit for, say W6 UP-SSB (if you are in W6, for example). I have found that setting the alert to a non existent summit (e.g. W6 tt-tst) comes through fine as a CW spot from RBNhole as long as you are in the skimmer cw part of the band. In the comments of your alert you could give the ssb freq ± that you will operate on, and your summit. I think if I saw a summit come through as up-ssb I would go check your alert to see what was going on 73 Hal n6jzt

Not quite sure what this has got to do with the question on this thread, which is about whether the RBNhole could be used in some contrived way to generate a spot for an SSB activation on a normal SSB frequency. The answer is yes, in some specific and limited circumstances, it may be possible. But you might as well learn CW and get the full benefit of the system.

Absolutely no idea what this has got to do with the question either. Did you post in the wrong topic by mistake Brian?

No, I replied to:

A bit late in the flow to go back nineteen posts to comment! :grinning:

The skimmer will typically cover the whole CW portion. It is only if you send CQ using CW on the SSB portion that you will need to target the lower segment of the SSB portion of the band. This is not a universal rule but based on various tests I’ve done. If you want you can even bracket the band and see at which cut-off point on the SSB portion a skimmer stops detecting you.

Experiment and enjoy. This is what ham radio is about.

Arnaud

Hal’s idea is simple and has merit. As a chaser I pay a lot of attention to the information on the alert. I think if you were on a good summit I would take the time to go hunt for you near the frequency you list in the text of the alert.

Using Hal’s idea, you would be free to start calling CQ in the CW part of the band, hopefully near the popular SOTA frequencies. If the RBN Hole is OK, and your system is efficient, you’ll be spotted within a couple of minutes.

You could also add this comment in your alert text: PSE SPOT ME .
Then one of the first chasers will spot you on the SSB frequency you choose, hopefully near the frequency you put in the text of your alert. In a few minutes, you’ll be rolling.

George
KX0R

Sacrificing goats may bring bad-Karma

It certainly does for the goats!:grinning:

1 Like