Question: German Mountain Award

This is slightly off-topic, but I know that somebody here will have the answer.

Over the last couple of weeks, I have worked some stations activating summits with a DA/ reference. I know that these relate to non-SOTA summits which are valid for the German Mountain Award (GMA). I was, however, under the impression that GMA had its origins around 2008 when a large number of non-compliant German summits were “retired” from SOTA. Having looked at the GMA website this morning, it appears that GMA contacts are only valid from 01/04/2012. My knowledge of German is insufficient to read the detail, so I’m hoping that somebody in-the-know can provide an explanation.

Is this a re-launch of the 2008 programme, or something entirely new?

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G3VQO:

Is this a re-launch of the 2008 programme, or something entirely new?

It is a relaunch of the 2008 programme but from scratch. This means contacts are valid from 01/04/2012.
The retired German references of 2008 are valid under the prefix DA but with new numbers. There is an easy possibility to add new references so number of DA references will probably increase.
All SOTA references are also valid for GMA, including the SOTA DL and DM references but with different scoring.
By the way the English part at the bottom of

explains this, also.

I hope this post regarding GMA is acceptable in the SOTA Reflector.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

In reply to DB7MM:

No problem, Michael, it isn’t in competition to SOTA, it just adds to the mountain fun!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to DB7MM:

Thanks for the explanation Michael.

I have now entered my chases for DA/, DL/ and DM/ summits since 01/04/2012 into the GMA database as it keeps all of the German summits together.

73 de Les, G3VQO