Query on ON-022 - Hotondberg and ON-008 Kemmelberg

Hi all,

I was surprised to see Hotondberg (150m)added to the belgian list of mountains. I only live 15 miles from there and know the area very well.
The Hotondberg forms a really flat saddle at the top to the north with Kwaremont (2 miles away) and to the west with Kluisberg (3 miles away)and has only limited prominence to the south east of around 50M towards the city of Ronse and to north east towards city of Oudenaarde. It doesn’t even has a real summit. Honestly I don’t think this mountain should be in the ON SOTA list.

On the other hand the Kemmelberg is higher (159m) and has a real prominence in all directions of around 100m. (G3VQO) might confirm this as he has activated this one and still it has been deleted from the list.

Now I don’t do myself any favours as Kemmelberg is further away (40 miles) from my QTH than Hotond but I believe the latter should be deleted and the former should be reinstated.

Your views?

Peter

Thanks for the note Peter.

No doubt Marc G0AZS or Johan ON5EX will check this out and report back.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to ON3WAB:

Hi Peter,

Yes, it is Peter, I have my strong doubts about the accuracy of these (the) new Belgian sota place(s).

I have also comments on the names of some other NEW SOTA places. That are no names from summits …!, but simply found places, streets, forests, etc … on the NGI cards.
The right places are poorly chosen for use of the UHF, VHF and SHF bands. Between the trees that works not so good!

Take now: (Bois = forest … Mont = mountain, hill)

SOTA = ON/ON-011 BOIS de Reuland --> BOTA = ON/SU-015 MONT SUR CLAIR FA

SOTA = ON/ON-013 BOIS de Hodinfosse --> BOTA = ON/SU-025 LE CALVAIRE TARPAN

SOTA = ON/ON-019 BOIS de On --> BOTA = ON/SU-095 CRESSE DES BOSQUETS

SOTA = ON/ON-020 "BOIS de Viné --> BOTA = ON/SU-104 MONT KIMONE D’ATRIN

A BOIS is NOT a SUMMIT-name, but only a name of the forest.

Below a list.

Please note that these ware not qualified for SOTA P-100.
These summits are from the Bota program. (there counting ALL mountains, hills … etc. higher than 100m)

BOTA REFERENCES.

ON/SU-162 160 m N 50 45 55.29 E 3 38 28.74 JO10TS FORTUINBERG RONSE

ON/SU-163 160 m N 50 45 35.11 E 3 34 23.28 JO10SS SCHERPENBERG RONSE

ON/SU-164 159 m N 50 46 45 E 02 48 47 JO10JS KEMMELBERG KEMMEL

ON/SU-172 150 m N 50 45 32.21 E 3 29 37.11 JO10RS KLUISBERG KLUISBERGEN

You know the area, Peter, what are your findings about these BOTA ref. ? I think that some of them would better fit in the SOTA-program?

Luc ON6DSL

In reply to ON3WAB:

On the other hand the Kemmelberg is higher (159m) and has a real
prominence in all directions of around 100m. (G3VQO) might confirm
this as he has activated this one and still it has been deleted from
the list.

Hi Peter

I was just as surprised when Kemmelberg was deleted from the list because, as you say, it has a clear prominence in all directions. However, it was discovered that it actually has less than 100m prominence from Mont des Cats across the border in France. That would normally make Mont des Cats a SOTA summit but, of course, France uses P150, so it does not qualify.

I am just as disappointed about Kemmelberg as you are, as it is just the right distance from the Tunnel to be included in a day trip. Actually, I’ll probably still visit it, just not for SOTA!

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to ON6DSL:

Below a list.

Please note that these ware not qualified for SOTA P-100.
These summits are from the Bota program. (there counting ALL mountains, hills … etc. higher than 100m)

BOTA REFERENCES.

ON/SU-162 160 m N 50 45 55.29 E 3 38 28.74 JO10TS FORTUINBERG RONSE
ON/SU-163 160 m N 50 45 35.11 E 3 34 23.28 JO10SS SCHERPENBERG RONSE
ON/SU-164 159 m N 50 46 45 E 02 48 47 JO10JS KEMMELBERG KEMMEL
ON/SU-172 150 m N 50 45 32.21 E 3 29 37.11 JO10RS KLUISBERG KLUISBERGEN

Hi Luc,

Please could you tell me where I can find any information about the BOTA program.

Regards, Mike G4BLH

In reply to G4BLH:

Hi Mike,

The website and program is still under construction. But I can give you the link:

http://www.belgiumontheair.org/

Luc ON6DSL

In reply to ON6DSL:

Many thanks for that Luc,

Regards Mike G4BLH

Hi Luc,

I would not include Scherpenberg as it is only literally 100m away from Hotondberg and about the same hight. Kluisberg should be ok; although it forms a sadlle with Hotond, the summit (with tower) is about 4 miles away to the south. Depends on the BOTA rules. Fortuinberg is also a good one in my opinion, as is Kemmelberg.

In reply to Les his remark: If Monts des cats is not a sota because of the french rules, then Kemmelberg should really be reinstated? if you talk about a real hill,. this is the perfect example. Looks like a giant traffic cone with trees hihi. Still, MT’s decision is final.

73, peter