In reply to M0JLA:

In reply to M6EPW:

And/or two from another continent, I think, Liz. I am in a similar
position here.

Hope to speak to you soon from GD

73 & good luck
Rod

Looks like it Rod. Oh well, I can dream :frowning:
I struggle with HF anyway so will be a long time before I reach that goal.

Liz

In reply to M6EPW:

I struggle with HF

Bigger antenna Liz. A much bigger antenna. :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Andy
MM0FMF

I wish Andy.

I can just imagine the comment from my neighbour two doors down and over the back of me. The former especially as she likes to think she owns the village.

I am looking into getting a beam for HF but need to check out a few things and make sure it can be mounted on the mid wall of the house at the back as this is shielded from that direction by the extension and large flat roof dormer. Also need to make sure it can be anchored well to take the rotator etc as the wind really batters the back of the house over winter.

A friend has offered a mini-beam so watch this space as they say.

Liz

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Mike,
I am surprised that you have not managed the vital 2 trans continental contacts with all the activations and s2s that you do. You will presumably go straight to Gold when you do get them.

I guess it has to be CW if I ever get there; another bash at it is on the list for the winter (learning CW, not activating or chasing with it).

Hope to speak soon,
Rod

I struggle with HF

Andy
MM0FMF

Nonsense Andy. A more efficient mode is what you need Liz, a more efficient mode :wink:

And many a true word and all that. The main reason I learned CW was because I too struggled with HF. Good luck with the ā€˜bashā€™ Rod. Hope you have as much fun as I did.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Thanks for the good wishes for the CW, Tom.
Hope you and Jimmy have a good weekend at the Convention. We will be in GD.
Rod

In reply to M1EYP:

Well I just assumed that along with a bigger antenna would go a more efficient mode!

Rod, if you want to learn CW enough you will. People who fail donā€™t want it enough. Itā€™s that simple to explain. I wanted it after 17years of procrastination and finding reasons why not to practice. The result is Iā€™m the top CW activator in GM and that has to be the biggest joke in amateur radio.

You need 10mins, no more, every day without fail. 10mins with lcwo.net and a desire to be able to have QSOs. I canā€™t rag chew at all, or copy plain text. All I can do is listen to a pileup of calls, pull one out, exchange calls, reports and refs for S2S contacts. Thatā€™s it. If someone asks me a question and it isnā€™t CALL? or REF? then Iā€™m stumped.

My keyer is set to 17wpm on the 817. Sat at the computer I can get most calls from lcwo.net callsign practice in 2 attempts at 23wpm. 17wpm is fine for SOTA but 20wpm is my next target. And the ability to copy plain text without my brain shutting down till I hear TKS ANDY UR RST 559 559

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M0JLA:

Mike,
I am surprised that you have not managed the vital 2 trans continental
contacts with all the activations and s2s that you do. You will
presumably go straight to Gold when you do get them.

Worked plenty of North American chasers Rod, sadly, just not made an s2s.

I guess it has to be CW if I ever get there; another bash at it is on
the list for the winter (learning CW, not activating or chasing with
it).

Iā€™m more than happy with the SOTA HF dx Iā€™ve managed on ssb. A few weeks ago from G/SP-004, thirteen North/South America contacts on the trot, suggests itā€™s not all bad :wink:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Mike,

I had forgotten that you only chase s2s. I have no foreign s2s at all, which is not surprising as I think 19 HF QSOs is my record for an activation. For most activations the walk and exploration are still the main attraction for us (especially in the winter) and SOTA has taken me to a lot of hills I would never have gone up otherwise, some of the embarrassingly close to home. It has even stirred us up into going to GD :-o

Rod

In reply to M0JLA:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Mike,

I had forgotten that you only chase s2s. I have no foreign s2s at
all, which is not surprising as I think 19 HF QSOs is my record for an
activation. For most activations the walk and exploration are still
the main attraction for us (especially in the winter) and SOTA has
taken me to a lot of hills I would never have gone up otherwise, some
of the embarrassingly close to home.

Hi Rod,

Yeah, Iā€™ve only recently taken to chasing s2s outside the UK. Worked a few other countries.

It has even stirred us up into
going to GD :-o

Good luck Rod, Iā€™ll be listening out for you, Iā€™m missing three of the GD summits.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to M0JLA:

In reply to M6EPW:

Hope to speak to you soon from GD

73 & good luck
Rod

Hi Rod.

Will certainly listen out for you from GD

I might even stand a chance of working you from there on the h/h from work lunchtime as its about the only direction that is possible from there.

I too keep thinking about morse. However, I will need to invest in an 817 before that becomes a practical option and right now that not on my spending list unfortunately. :frowning:

Might have a bash as a chasers over winter using the 706 though.

The long wire set up at home for HF works quite well but not ideally located though have worked into Russia and Colin has worked stateside and Canada a few times.

Working summits probably more luck than anything else for me as have little chance in the week due to work and weekends I prefer to be out on the fells if I can though now trying out 10m fm along with 6m and 4 so maybe I will get lucky.

Need some Mikes luck to rub off in my direction.

Liz

In reply to M6EPW:

I too keep thinking about morse. However, I will need to invest in an
817 before that becomes a practical option and right now that not on
my spending list unfortunately. :frowning:

I guess once you can use morse thereā€™ll be cheaper rig options than an 817?

Might have a bash as a chasers over winter using the 706 though.

I found I needed a CW filter in my 706 to avoid the inevitable signals 500Hz away from the one Iā€™m trying to readā€¦

73, Rick M0LEP (who has spent over two years trying to get Morse between his earsā€¦)

In reply to M0LEP:

73, Rick M0LEP (who has spent over two years trying to get Morse
between his earsā€¦)

Keep going, Rick! I started in 1962 and Iā€™m not there yetā€¦

GL

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I started in 1962 and Iā€™m not there yetā€¦

You donā€™t want it enough. :wink:

Andy
CT9/MM0FMF

I found CW easier to learn than RTTYā€¦