Query about Mountain Hunter Award

Hi,

Can anyone from the MT clarify something for me please ?

I was checking my entries on the database today to see if my chaser entry for the French station was now confirmed as this would give me my 10th country worked for the Silver Mountain Hunter Award.

The QSO is showing as confirmed on 20th September, however, the “my awards” page is still only showing as nine countries worked and Bronze status.

DL - Germany (Alpine)
DM - Germany (Low Mountains)
G - England
GD - Isle Of Man
GI - Northern Ireland
GM - Scotland
GW - Wales
OE - Austria
ON - Belgium

This is the 10th qualifying country entry.

20/Sep/2012 17:11 M6EPW F6IPR/P F/JU-100 Bois de Babre 7MHz SSB 1 *

Many thanks

liz.

In reply to M6EPW:

All you need to do Liz, is check the rules for the MH award - and you’ll see that you require 2 contacts with SOTA activations in an association in order to make that association count towards this award.

So I assume you therefore have 2 (or more) SOTA contacts with each of the 9 associations you list, but the QSO on 20th September was your first with a French activation. Another will get you the listing.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M6EPW:

Not MT but just a thought, Liz. Don’t you need two contacts in each association to qualify?

Karen

In reply to M6EPW:
Liz,
Silver Award = 10 Associations, 2 different summits each AND 2 continents if we are HF.
73 Jim G0CQK

Ok then, solve this puzzle :wink:

My chase of Karen 2W0XYL/P who was on GW/NW-052 Mynydd Cwmcelli shows up on the the summit info page as chased by you on 24/03/2012.

However, on the Summits within North Wales page there is nothing under my chases even though it was logged about a week ago :frowning:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G0CQK:
Thanks everyone.

I didn’t realise that I needed 2 contacts for each association. Will just have to keep trying.

Liz

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Ok then, solve this puzzle :wink:

My chase of Karen 2W0XYL/P who was on GW/NW-052 Mynydd Cwmcelli shows
up on the the summit info page as chased by you on 24/03/2012.

However, on the Summits within North Wales page there is nothing
under my chases even though it was logged about a week ago :frowning:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

Sorry Mike, was this for me or MT ??

liz.

In reply to M6EPW:

Sorry Liz,

Someone from the MT. However, it was just an observation and certainly not urgent.

73 Mike
2E0YYY
Shattered, after 3 days at the National Hamfest, supplying a shed load of new activators with batteries and chargers.

Mike,

Please email me a couple of screenshots of what you describe. ATM, I’m not sure, but might crack it if I can see what you are seeing.

Cheers,

Tom

In reply to M6EPW:

Hi Liz,

If you look at: Summits on the Air
you will find the rules for this award (slightly different for VHF/UHF only)

All bands Award

Chaser should contact (or SWL, hear) at least 2 different summits in each of 5 associations. The higher level awards require that at least one association claimed is on a different continent from the claimant’s normal residential QTH. Level 1 can be claimed with contacts only on the claimant’s own continent (1 continent); higher level awards require intercontinental contacts.

Award No. of Associations No. of Continents
Bronze Award 5 1
Silver Award 10 2
Gold Award 15 2
Platinum Award 20+ 3
Worked All Associations

So you will see that each Association requires TWO summits chased to qualify and there are intercontinental requirements for all awards above Bronze.

Hope this clarifies matters

Barry GM4TOE
SOTA Awards Manager

In reply to GM4TOE:
Hi Barry.

Many thanks. Looks like I will have to try and get another French station. :slight_smile:

Liz

In reply to M6EPW:

And/or two from another continent, I think, Liz. I am in a similar position here.

Hope to speak to you soon from GD

73 & good luck
Rod

In reply to M0JLA:

Hi Rod,

If it makes you feel any better, after the thick end of nearly 500 S2S, I’m still stuck on bronze :frowning:

Good luck and good luck to Liz also.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I’m still stuck on bronze :frowning:

That’s because they’re nearly all 2m FM contacts! You work another continent outside of Europe on 2m FM and everyone will be impressed.

For SOTA chasers in Europe, the nearest next continent is EA8 which counts as Africa. That’s so far only seen holiday activations. But it’s ideal if you want some SOTA fun and a damn fine sunny holiday :slight_smile:

Most Europeans will look to the USA/Canada for their next continent.

Of course who knows what tomorrow (literally) may bring. :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

I enjoy all the dx contacts I have with Mike Andy but I have mentioned to him before to try a real radio and arial. Don.

In reply to MM0FMF:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I’m still stuck on bronze :frowning:

That’s because they’re nearly all 2m FM contacts! You work another
continent outside of Europe on 2m FM and everyone will be impressed.

Unlikey to do that on a collinear, Andy. OTOH stranger things happen at sea :wink:

For SOTA chasers in Europe, the nearest next continent is EA8 which
counts as Africa. That’s so far only seen holiday activations. But
it’s ideal if you want some SOTA fun and a damn fine sunny holiday :slight_smile:

In 1979 whilst holidaying in Tenerife, I took a coach trip to Mt Teide and climbed to the summit. Seems these days, the actual summit is restricted to just 150 visitors per day and a permit is required.

Most Europeans will look to the USA/Canada for their next continent.

Never Managed to work s2s with that side of the pond, mainly because I don’t do Morse and of course the time difference don’t help.

Of course who knows what tomorrow (literally) may bring. :wink:

Indeed. BTW, had a nice chat with Brian G4ZRP, at the Hamfest.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G0RQL:

I enjoy all the dx contacts I have with Mike Andy but I have mentioned
to him before to try a real radio and arial. Don.

LOL. Points don’t come easy from me, Don, They have to be earned ;-))))

Shame the 40m band has been up and down so much, even so, you always seem to manage the trip.

BTW, your contact with me onto GM/SS-272 Arthur’s Seat on the 20m band from your holiday home in June, goes down as one of my best of the year.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

In reply to G0RQL:

I enjoy all the dx contacts I have with Mike Andy but I have
mentioned
to him before to try a real radio and arial. Don.

LOL. Points don’t come easy from me, Don, They have to be earned
;-))))

Shame the 40m band has been up and down so much, even so, you always
seem to manage the trip.

BTW, your contact with me onto GM/SS-272 Arthur’s Seat on the 20m band
from your holiday home in June, goes down as one of my best contacts
of the year.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

Now that’s not what you said to me was it :wink:

In reply to 2E0YYY:

I’ve worked Africa twice on 2m SSB from England nearly 20years ago. It required some effort.

I had a big Tonna, Westflex feeder and about 150W on 2m. I also had 11days bonus holiday from having had to work weekends (Sat/Sun) to get a product ready for launch. I spent something like 20hrs/day for 16days glued to the 2m/6m station in a stinking hot attic shack. Worked a lot of DX but never managed 5B4, ZB2 or 9H1 on either 2m or 6m even though they were on a lot.

Still EA9 x2 was worth it.

It’s not going to happen on 2m FM, but easy on 6m SSB. Robin GM7PKT spends lots of time on 6m and works plenty during the summer. You may want to think about having a simple antenna for 6m with you as you have allmodes capability for 6m on your radio.

Or start bashing the brass. Best radio move I’ve ever made.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G1STQ:

BTW, your contact with me onto GM/SS-272 Arthur’s Seat on the 20m
band
from your holiday home in June, goes down as one of my best contacts
of the year.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

Now that’s not what you said to me was it :wink:

Except, your contact was on the 40m Band :wink:

73 Mickey