Quality Control - Logging of CT7/G4OBK/P

Stop looking at the keys. I cannot touch type, but I don’t need to look at the keys.

Get a teatowel and cover your keyboard whilst typing. You make loads of errors and feel you will wear out the backspace key. For a few days that is. You wont be a touch typist but you wont need to look at the keys after 2 weeks of that. And in the period when you cannot look at the keys and have to keep correcting errors, you wont be any worse than a 2 finger hunt and peck typist either!

Very interesting, Andy, but I have used the hunt and peck method quite satisfactorily for some sixty years without needing to do any self training. To be clear, I started out typing skins as Editor for the Birmingham Astronomical Society on a thumping old Remington and more recently used a keyboard as Editor for the Scottish Rhododendron Society, in between I typed an encyclopaedias worth for my uni studies and I peck out quite a lot here and on the Zed - all with my right index finger with the left operating the shift. As I see it, if I am happy with the product why should I be concerned about the tools? So with so much keyboard practice why should I need to look? Simply because I have large hands and thick fingers and have a nasty habit of clipping the adjacent keys. If I look where my finger is prodding I save correction time, at the cost of transferring the memory function to whatever I am copying - and that needs a little checking but not too much.

We don’t all have to do it your way, mate! :wink:

Brian

I sometimes get my “ex” and “ee” mixed up in the stress of a pile up - they both start with the same letter after all. I know I’ve incorrectly written “VPE” once instead of “VPX” on an activation, but the effort to correct it isn’t worth the hassle in my book (sorry Allan!).
Could it be made easier to edit individual entries in activators’ logs?

Oops -I can’t even spell your name right :frowning:️ -corrected, sorry!

1 Like

Me too! :smile:

I strike out any incomplete QSOs in my paper log, only keeping the ones that I am sure were valid. Any errors after that are down to transcription, and I don’t worry about them too much. If the other op has made a mistake, or guessed at something, there is nothing I can do about that if they reply QSL, or .-. .-. .-.
Occasionally I get a confirmation when I haven’t actually sent anything to them, but those get struck out :wink:

Adrian
G4AZS

1 Like

Yes. But it wont happen because it only takes moments to fix it the hard way.

Manually?

Brian

As I understand it, the process involves exporting the log file; deleting the incorrect activation entry; editing the exported file; creating a new activation and importing the edited file. An alternative would be to just delete the activation and re-enter manually. I don’t think either is that quick a solution.
However, I understand that re-writing the software to enable “easy” editing may not be a high priority and I’m content with that. Since it’s a personal challenge only, I’m sure others will be tolerant of the occasional mistake in my logs and understand that I have other priorities than following the above process.

The process of downloading, deleting, correcting and uploading takes about 10 times as long to describe as it does to actually do it - even if you have only had to do it a couple of times like I have.

3 Likes

I spotted a couple of typos in my old activator logs this morning, funnily enough. Both were transcription errors where the calls were good in my paper log, but fell foul of “finger trouble” when typed into the PC. It took me less then 90 seconds to correct BOTH activation logs. I don’t think that needs fixing.

I’m completely happy with that (as I said) and understand that a simple edit button may be more work than it’s worth in the overall scheme of things.
My point (linking back to the original thread) was to highlight why some errors may go uncorrected. I was getting the feeling that some people were advocating strict sanctions for such offenders. The fun for me is walking and talking (on the radio) whilst endeavouring to improve my morse skills - not manipulating spreadsheets. That is certainly not meant as a criticism of those who are able to spend the time doing so! I am in awe of those of you who manage to submit logs in the hundreds and also write helpful and informative blogs (which I love to read).
73 and 88 to you all!

I think you are absolutely right that an edit-this-line feature would result in more errors getting corrected but it’s a fair amount of work when you can do the same now. The other thing I’ve always wanted to do but have not progressed further than the concept stage is a contact chaser/activator options. i.e. Phil sees Karl has typed the call wrong and so Phil can click on Karl’s entry in the “show who chased me” display and inform Karl directly the log entry is wrong. Next Karl logs in he sees an note telling him the log entry to fix.

Sounds simple, but there’s a lot to implement.

Same as you Andy, except some computers here in my house have the Australian/American key layout (QWERTY) and some the German (QWERTZ) layout - of course the “/”, “-” and other special characters can be located at different positions as well.

I find myself watch the screen as I type and about 3 characters later see that I’ve hit a Y instead of a Z etc. (I also never had the opportunity to learn touch typing - I’d call mine 3-finger typing).

Ed.

Hi all,
What about in this feature when activator has a typo in his call?
See: 16/07/2015 OK/US-009 OK/DL8RL/P has uploaded his log with OK7DL8RL/P
Gerald F6HBI

Many years ago the best thing I ever did was to do a proper typing course. Helped an awful lot when I bought a computer.

73’s

For what it is worth, activators and chasers can make use of this BEFORE uploading their logs:

http://www.on6zq.be/w/index.php/SOTA.SOTAcheck

2 Likes

Thank to Karl M3FEH for correcting the callsign typos in his log - sorted.

The 7 stations below are getting a yellow card from me as they have not removed the “phantom QSOs” from the SOTA database. I will e-mail the SOTA database manager to see if he can remove them for me.

Either none of these stations have noticed my posting on the reflector or they are refusing to remove the non contacts. Not impressed, one wonders about the rest of their log entries - maybe more detailed scrutiny is needed of their log entries…

73 Phil

Day 1 11/01/2016

CT/ES-010 DK7ZH 1540Z 20M CW (I WAS ON ES-002 AT THAT TIME) NO QSO MADE
CT/ES-001 PA0B 1224Z 20M CW QSO CLAIMED - NO QSO MADE
CT/ES-001 F6EAZ 1233Z 20M CW QSO CLAIMED - NO QSO MADE
CT/ES-002 DL2YBG 1541Z 20M CW QSO CLAIMED - NO QSO MADE

Day 2 12/01/2016

CT/ES-004 DL2HWI 1040Z 30M CW QSO CLAIMED - NO QSO MADE

Day 3 13/01/2016

CT/ES-008 DL8DXL 0918Z 30M CW QSO CLAIMED - NO QSO MADE
CT/ES-003 DL3HXX 1327Z 30M CW QSO CLAIMED - NO QSO MADE

NOOO thank you for alerting me to this problem and the totaly doh mistake in me logs.

May be if you can find there E mails drop them a line.

I have had one or two over the period of time i have been sota-ing stating sorry Karl contact not made and then sort out me logs and have to accept the fact contact was not made as first thought it was. Best one when chap came back to me and said the CW contact was not a CW contact look again DOOOOH, was SSB i don’t do CW - yet.

Mistakes are easy to do, am good at it but grateful to those that point them out so i can correct them. There;s a saying if not got it this time they be another operators and another time to claim that sota summit.

Karl

1 Like

I agree Karl, emailing the stations concerned is a much better approach than reporting to the MT.

Of course it’s not always the CHASER log that’s in error.

I have at least 2 missing confirmation asterisks because the ACTIVATOR has uploaded for the wrong date. Simple human error on their part, I’m sure.

(Actually there are several more with obvious correlation to confusion between UTC and local time zone dates, which in turn can [IMO] be attributed to inadequate mentoring of newcomers to the hobby. But I digress. )

Cheers
VK3ANL Nick