Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

PSK on summits

Hi all,
Last days, I activated 5 F/VO summits, in CW and PSK31.
It seems to be rather difficult in PSK, with low power.
I could qualifie only one summit with 5 QSOs.
So I’m asking me if I will continue to carry all the gear, laptop etc…

Fortunatly, I made 265 CW QSOs with 18 S2S.

Thanks to all, an CU soon from higher Alps summits next 2 weeks.

73 Alain F6ENO

Dear Alain,

Your efforts on PSK are much appreciated. As always if I can hear you I will respond in that mode.
However, of late signals to the North of England are somewhat poor.
From my QTH I have a very high noise level, somedays around S7 which makes a lot of the QRP SOTA stations very difficult to read.
I think that you are the only PSK station I have heard so far.
Keep up the good work, I am sure the extra weight is good for your heart on the climb hi hi…
73 de Kevin G0NUP

In reply to G0NUP:
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your kind words. It was realy a pleasure to hear you again.
Bu my heart is not so young… so I will carry again the PSK only on low summits.
Next weeks, I hope to climb summits in the range of 2000 to 3000m, so the rucksac weight will be my main concern…

Best 73 and thanks for the G0SIG QSO…

Alain F6ENO

In reply to F6ENO:I congrats Alain!
I will testing my PSK and ROS from WFF area first.
From the car will be easily.
If will be right, starting on the summits too.

73 CUL
Feri

In reply to F6ENO:

Digi is slow mode compared to cw. I have been carrying the extra 300 g in case that some chaser without cw skills likes to work me. Only few QSOs so far. I do digi after the cw only if the conditions and time permit. The ATS3B does not allow phone QSOs, so either cw or digi on HF.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

I am using NUE-PSK modem which is somewhat smaller than my FT-817, but with keyboard the weight and bulk add up. Not ready for a CW activation yet, no luck with QRP SSB on Novice bands, so PSK is my main mode on HF (with RTTY during the contests).
80m PSK-31 is a safe bet if I stay on the summit overnight, there is usually a lot of DL stations on a weekend night.On 10 and 15m it depends on the conditions but I have also activated quite a few hills on 10/15m. No digital S2S yet and it is quite rare to make a QSO with an active chaser on digi.

In reply to OK9HAG:
I have a Nue-PSK modem also… but have never used it on a hill yet. I’ve never been sure it was worth the extra weight to carry it up. Maybe I’ll give it a go sometime.

Andrew
K1YMI / GM1YMI