Practical Wireless VHF Activity Weekend

This weekend is the Practical Wireless Magazine’s VHF-UHF activity session. Just make a few SOTA contacts on VHF or UHF and send Tim Kirby G4VXE an account of what you did and you could win a prize!

http://www.pwpublishing.ltd.uk/practical-wirless/

73 Richard G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
QX

In reply to G4AZS:

QX

That takes me back!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to G4AZS:

QX

That takes me back!

You have the advantage of me there Brian! Maybe it was just my browser, but Richard’s post originally showed up as empty, with just the title PW. I replied with QX suggesting a logical series of letters - a fairly weak quip, I concede.

Googling QX to see what you might be taken back to produced a result that I wasn’t aware of, and you probably weren’t referring to!

Doh, Interweb eh…

Adrian
G4AZS

In reply to G4AZS:

I suspect that you are referring to a certain magazine! :wink:

QX as an affirmative response equivalent to “roger” comes from the 1950s "Lensman" series of books by "Doc" Smith, they were the ultimate in space opera and I dont think that their broadness of brush stroke has been exceeded since! I particularly liked the idea of directing the full output of the sun as a weapon…

They were good fun, dated now, though!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

I particularly liked the idea of
directing the full output of the sun as a weapon…

Now that would really cut through the QRM :slight_smile:
CW only though I suppose.

They were good fun, dated now, though!

Still excellent books - I re-read them from time to time. My only criticism is that his heroes were a little too perfect.

Colin G8TMV

In reply to G8TMV:

I`ve often wondered why Hollywood never snapped the series up, as a spectacle it would knock spots off “Star Wars”!

Anyway, back to topic. I`ll weedle the XYL into a little outing if the weather is kind.

Brian G8ADD

…anyone planning to participate?

Hoping rather than planning!

Brian G8ADD

I’ll see if I can give it a go later today!

Don
m0hcu

Of course… It would have helped if I hadn’t left the elk antenna in the car! (Last time it was the BNC connector)
Not a great deal of activity on 2m FM unfortunately… But a nice new footpath up to Long Mynd Pole Bank.

1 Like

The Practical Wireless VHF Weekend is over. If you want to be in with a chance of winning a prize, send a report of your activation to Tim Kirby G4VXE longworthtim@gmail.com

73 Richard G3CWI