Postcodes for SOTA Summits

In reply to M1MAJ: But there’s a bit more to it than that, because counties come in to it as well. Taking square TQ13, the Surrey/West Sussex boundary runs through it, so you have TQ13 Surrey and TQ13 West Sussex. And it gets even more complicated than that with Unitary Authorities as well. Come on, WAB enthusiasts, dig me out of this one, please!

Regards, Dave, G6DTN/M0DFA

In reply to M0DFA:
The unitary/county bit were dropped from 1st January this year.
It is just 10km squares now and starting from scratch.
Hence the sudden increase in WAB activity/interest.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG: Thank you for your good work with the shovel. I stand corrected.

Regards, Dave, M0DFA

In reply to G4OWG:

Hence the sudden increase in WAB activity/interest.

…and rightly so. I have always thought that it is a much under-rated award that offers a lot to the portable operator.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Very true Richard but they need to drop the NET ethos and develop a spotting system. Not many can afford the time to sit on one frequency (even semi-retired ones like me) hoping for some activity.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to 2E0LAE:

Should I be daft enough to contest on Kinder Scout G/SP-001 - any suggestions which postcode to use & why?

In reply to G1INK:
Don’t know Steve but you could try extrapolating from
direct-marketing-lists.co.uk

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G1INK:

SK - postcode for Hayfield (SK22)?

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G1INK:

SK is the postcode for Chapel en le Frith, Edale and Glossop. So SK is what I’d use for Kinder Scout.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Cheers Andy - however everone I know in Edale is an S33 postcode for Sheffield.

In reply to G1INK:

Maybe you can choose. However the RSGB list requires the use of SD for Sheffield postcodes.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:
Behind the times as usual :frowning:

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

Hi all,

JEEEZ what have I started here? such an innocent question and such a lot of Thread??

Well Done to you all, Perhaps this is the reason I dont take the RSGB contests too serious, Theres just too much behind the scenes to even start thinking about and remembering.

At least with SOTA, I have only a few rules to remember.

I am getting too old or too lazy to have to think these days??? HiHi

Thanks to all for the comments,

Im gonna stick with SOTA and keep it simple

Take care

Tony

In reply to G1INK:

You’re right Steve, didn’t read the text properly because I didn’t have my glasses on!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4OWG:

In the early 1960’s we lived at 5 Golden Butts Road Ilkley.

Super tale Roger I haven’t laughed so much my mother in law fell off her broom stick trying to fly home from a Halloween party. Reminds me of when the fire station at Shell Stanlow almost burnt down due to a chip fire, they haven’t lived that down either.

In reply to 2E0LAE:

From the bit about postcodes on http://www.vhfcc.org -

“If all else fails - it’s quite OK to use your best guess. Don’t give the contest a miss because you can’t be sure you have the right postcode for your hilltop site”

So no cheating but it is okay to make it up as you go along!

A problem I had the other day was that I was mobile as a passenger travelling at 70 MPH down the motorway. I was trying to give points away but I was being asked for a locator and postcode, when most of the time I didn’t even know what county or the nearest town was. It is surely somewhat counter productive to the contesters if the rules discourage mobile stations from calling in like that. It also tends to put off the newly licensed who are a bit nervous any way and don’t understand the formula. It would be far better if the rules were the same for all contests with some better way of dealing with mobile contacts.

Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:

So no cheating but it is okay to make it up as you go along!

That’s what the adjudicators check for. It’s highly unlikely that the odd inaccurate piece of info will make a significant difference to the overall outcome.

It is surely somewhat counter productive to the contesters if the rules discourage mobile stations from calling in like that

It’s a common problem that people will call you in a contest and they have no idea of the exchange needed. It’s up to contest station to ask the caller for any info they don’t offer. They should request sufficient details to enable them to work out an approximate position for the mobile station. Sometimes it’s wildly off from the true position. But the contest station should be prepared to take what is offered and be polite and get on with the next scoring contact. Sadly some contest stations are so computerised that they have no way of taking this extra info. Their loss if they can’t.

The bigger problem is not that some callers don’t know their info but that they detain you wanting to chat and tell you their inside leg measurement or the age of their cat or whatever. There’s always time to be polite and than the caller before callnig QRZ?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
For what its worth, MS Mappoint territory planning data shows Kinder Scout east of the SK22 2 postcode sector boundary and inside the S33 7 postcode sector. I don’t know where MS got the data but they show boundaries at the postcode sector level but no lower for the whole country.
73 jim

Edit: 7:10pm Forgot to answer original question
SP-012 BB7 4
SP-006 LA2 8
SP-005 BB9 6