Possible?

In reply to M1EYP:

Looks like you made the right call Tom. However, I must say that the conditions looked considerably better on the ground than when Paul and I activated the hill on 7th February,

BUT…

• although we had fallen over at least five times in ten minutes, we were still laughing about it!

• we weren’t going very fast, but were up there early enough to make activation possible without getting anywhere near to our turn-round time

• we hadn’t lost the path and weren’t going the wrong way, despite the snow being up to our waist in places

• it wasn’t snowing!

AND perhaps most importantly:

• we had absolutely no idea that the Stalybridge Station buffet bar offered a much more pleasant afternoon, otherwise we might not have gone for a mud slide on Billinge Hill after activating Black Hill :wink:

Hope your next outing is successful.

73, Gerald

Cheers Gerald.

Hope your next outing is successful.

Indeed. We were thinking of doing a three activation day next time out - Stalybridge station, Huddersfield station and Dewsbury station!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

We were thinking of doing a three activation day next time
out - Stalybridge station, Huddersfield station and Dewsbury station!

Excellent! Don’t forget it’s at least four pints in each venue to qualify and you do get a Winter Bonus due to the likelihood of encountering extra-strong seasonal ales at this time of year…

Sorry to hear your activation was frustrated today, I was supposed to be in the LD’s myself for a couple of days staying at Honister YH but aborted when the warden called me to tell me it was drive as far as Seatoller then walk and they’d got no water…

So to return to topic, apologies Walt for not being there to help out! Hope to put lots more summits on for you in 2010

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

Thanks to everyone for all their efforts! I’m glad people made the sensible decision and didn’t put themselves or anyone else at risk.

Here in Tewkesbury we have had no snow or ice at all … just occasional light drizzle.

Meanwhile, I am going backwards rather than forwards with my Chaser score! Today I had to delete a claimed S2S contact with MA0FMF/P on 5 MHz (15-Nov-09 13:23 UTC G/WB-023 to GM/SS-035) because it was reported to me that it doesn’t appear in Andy’s log. :frowning:

Oh well … I should reach the magic 1000 early in the New Year!

Happy New Year to all!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Sorted! Transcription error from a log page that got rather wet. You were missing as was Roger MW0IDX. The time for Frank G3RMD’s QSO was incorrect too. I’ve uploaded the fixes so you’ve got the unique back and the four points. I can’t see if it says /P or not as the paper is grotty there, but the signal reports were 31 and 56.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Wow! Thanks very much, Andy! I had assumed you had not copied the report from me and that’s why it was not logged. I confirm the reports as stated.
Excellent news … I can now put it back in my chasers log.

Cheers!

Happy New Year
Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Well, you had a big finish on the morning of the 31st after all, with HA5CQZ, HA2VR, HA5AZC, S58R, OK8NO and OK1DDQ worth 31 points all on CW. Heard you in amongst the pile-ups so I guess that at least you made Shack Sloth, right on the line.

Congratulations

73 Roy G4SSH

Walt and not Richard :o), G3NYY just became shack sloth in QSO with Aage, LA1ENA/P on 5Mhz with a 59+ here in Belgium.
A great way to end 2009 !!
Congrats !!

73, de Peter, ON3WAB

In reply to G4SSH:

Hi Roy!

Yes, it’s amazing what a difference a day makes! After a dearth of activity yesterday, they were coming up on 40m this morning almost faster than I could work them!
I have easily achieved both of my targets. :slight_smile: Current scores are 1017 chaser points and 253 unique summits wkd, and the day isn’t over yet.

Must get my applications in today, before the prices go up … hi hi!

Mni tks for your kind remarks and interest.

Happy New Year,

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to ON3WAB:

Thank you very much, Peter! Yes, I saw your message to me in your spot of LA1ENA/P. I am very pleased. :slight_smile:

Happy New Year and hope to CU many times from summits in 2010.

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Congratulations on achieving Shack Sloth Walt :slight_smile:

Mark G0VOF

In reply to G3NYY:
Well done Walt! It certainly shows the worth of good telegraphy as you’ve amassed all these points in 2009 [I think] in the time I’ve reached 530 points on phone only. It’s been a fun day on ssb.

Now your S2S awards need you out in G/WB on Sunday for Fun Day. I think there’s a couple of high hills still free or I’ll share G/WB-002 with you.

Happy New Year / Godt nyt År /Blwyddyn newydd dda

David 2E0DAI

Congratulations Walt on achieving the shack sloth and 250 chaser uniques.

Happy New Year

Jimmy M3EYP

In reply to 2E0DAI, M3EYP and G0VOF:

Thanks, chaps! Yes, it has been a good day on 40m today.

This afternoon I went out with the intention of doing a short activation from G/WB-021 but had to turn back because too much snow! G/WB-019 is also snowbound. Surprising, because I could see that Cleeve Hill (CE-001) and Bredon Hill (CE-003) were both completely clear of snow, but I left it too late to go there.

I hope to be out with VHF on Sunday 3rd Jan, but not sure where yet. Very much WX dependent!

73 agus bliadhna mhath ùr !

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:

Congrats Walt. Now I don’t feel too bad about not trying out a re-fettled IC-T81E on my way to visit my mum who lives about 0.5 miles from SP-017! Not sure I could have made the trip to you anyway with just the handie (and it’s only a one pointer anyway).

Reg G3WPF

In reply to G3NYY:

Congratulations Walt. Job well done in 2009. Another 1000 for 2010?

Have a Happy New Year - see you in 2010 for my SS points on VHF / UHF and my 144 S2S.

73, Gerald

In reply to G3NYY:

Well done Walt. Sorry that we were unable to assist yesterday.

I will be QRV on Rombolds Moor NP-028 on Sunday to boost your s2s score. Do you have 10GHz available?

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3NYY:
What? So I suffered an interminably long 1.5 mile drive followed by an arduous 200m walk-in and operated sitting at a picnic table with a cafe serving coffee and hot chocolate 200m away for nowt?

I have suffered for nothing!

Seriously, congratulations Walt on reaching your targets in good time and very nice to work you today from “The Woods”. Excellent signal from you on 60m but then Aylesbury to Tewkesbury using NVIS is about as good as it gets.

73 ES HNY Marc G0AZS

In reply to G0AZS:

Well done, Walt, Supersloth next!

Hey, Marc, did you get some of that coffee in the mike on 80 metres? You were 5-9+ on 60 and unreadable on 80!

HNY

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G3CWI:

Thanks to everybody for the points and kind words of encouragement. Yes, I’ll be trying for another 1000 points during 2010. :slight_smile:

To Richard … sorry, no 10 GHz here. Not even 23 cm. The highest I go is 433 MHz. You’ll have to work on G3PHO … it wouldn’t take much to get Peter to join in!

BTW, as well as completing my Shack Sloth and 250 Uniques, I also received my “50 S2S” Summitsbase Award today, so it’s been a fine end to the year.
Lots to go for in 2010.

[Clue as to my plans for 2010: Santa brought me a nice Berghaus jacket!]
:wink:

HNY de G3NYY