Possible useful item spotted for activators on facebook today :-)

Yes indeed!

Mike

…and if it runs out - which it will do after about 625 miles or so - your Mercedes car will refuse to start!

Which sales executive came up with that one?

Bzzzt. Wrong! 1L of treatment lasts for 625miles +/-. The tank holds enough for fluid for around 20000 miles, around 32L and that costs about $250, £164, 221Eu.

One who can read ! :wink:

And replying to myself…

It was the fact that you need a large volume tank of wizz to inject which made VW cheat. It’s easy to hide a 32L tank plus all the wizz injection hardware in large car. Trying to fit it in a Polo is much harder. So let’s just not bother and tell fibs…

Ahhh, well that makes more sense then, doesn’t it? Reading was never my strong point…

1 Like

I always said that the car industry must try to learn from aircraft constructors. More than 70 years ago they recognized that parts of the fuselage and wings can be constructed to contain liquids… So why not use windscreen pillar + centre and door fillings to hide the blue stuff in a Polo? But don’t forget the cork please!

Fosters??? That crap is disgusting and not reflective of what Australians drink despite the best efforts of the advertising execs - maybe when they failed to get people here to drink it they moved to VW to tell lies for them? :open_mouth:

Matt
VK1MA

2 Likes

yes perhaps, that would explain it all!

Likewise. I used to have an old caravan (no internal toilet) just outside Aviemore in the scottish highlands. Night visits to the old cherry tree outside use to produce lovely succulent cherries

in the Autumn

Cheers

Jack(;>J

PS: A few beers beforehand used to help :grinning:

I presume that the urea is dissolved in some medium, as it is in fact a white solid. It is available in pelleted form and for years was used as a substitute for salt to remove ice off the roads. It had the virtue that it did not attack the rebar in concrete, salt corroded rebar spalls the surface off concrete causing loss of strength and further corrosion due to water ingress.

Unfortunately, a research program that I was intimately involved in proved that urea caused deterioration of the concrete itself, rather than the rebar, so we were no better off using it!

The surplus urea from that research program went on my garden, it is a superb source of nitrogen! :wink:

Brian

Polos are known to have a hole in the middle which could be used anyway :smile:

1 Like

The actual stuff is generically known as Diesel Exhaust Fluid, approx 30% urea in deionised water…

Here is a picture of the fuel filler for a 3L V6 TDI Audi diesel car showing the diesel tank and DEF tank fillers.

Amazing! Urea cost about a fiver for 25kg when we were researching its effect on concrete, I think it is about three times that, now. That is one fine rip-off going on there!

Brian

On checking, those prices were for 2010 when it was new stuff… 10L can be had from Amazon for £20 now.