Portable paddles (Part 1)

A single paddle is not necessarily simpler. If you look at the one palm radio used to make, it was more complex than a dual paddle. It had two modes: side swiper (wired like a straight key) and single paddle (left and right contacts wired to dits and dahs). And a mechanism to switch between them.

JC/W6IPA.

1 Like

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PALM-RADIO-Automatic-key-transmitter-Morse-code-shortwave-CW-auto-Paddle-Keyer/113791519880?hash=item1a7e80cc88&enc=AQADAAADAFjVrDbVsZ8oH%2F8PNHtt9VX4%2Fw7FZcmMuqsX8uaFEduVBb4UfmX3TCNhAwF78fzlIRBokPuon8UwO4eotk5PhgBBMQSXGJKouoPdfPIym9hPdaigycK%2B7X1%2FOiSljCtJz06epGz%2B3Ef4czXT63EWshd8icw%2ByHDoqziLwTxjxddVmsicbEGOmGSt75PKrU9lMq6BLqBYnNOc2K6W4b4%2F98SR6%2Fd1CYil2mHVetZAF0p%2Fzc1sR%2BOD6awobeLiXr0t3coOPhNAZoWFP32rew6HZ8a4Zq2tft1RfejzLoW4kt5N2838pkjEVesqe3OIFBr7qw7hfJVEbm%2BExXmZi73oAc0sPrR%2BZJ55MhnXaEnT53lxYTkjehq6Cb1EtK4agVVpEEvC6nnSVskVSDSvFQ0mizq5JKrI7QUE2zQqpGj4rGtiw1ih%2FJXBlt1Vn5Zb5OCmNymF5hEy%2B6pHfddCn%2FW2xeT1Vmz7ek2gsDk1DYibMbHZ3dv2HwK0OzwraXLL1pUkYHY12Byz5G7MyXTszTmEOcE2SgEcKCMqZezxqvBFTgDDWMEQMhfOCfWQkah0K0DsrH4D5KZURshbBSoCm%2FHTGqc5u840clOO8hgCOtW44RvgcZInjjfpSNudRPtV%2BEZxU6kATV6U%2F1f%2BD%2FUU%2FNAWHBD6LtFwwb5qmLf3ue8P94FjKp%2Bch2IDM4iMUwSJlxisV37S6QWYt1i5q9uQhB3wmq7MhEyv657eQMT7tU3QxQAYJhHhph45KlGFmTMwtCcPmOb%2BZftYvP70xHJb2DWObP4oZfCieZKM9ehSFawZUUjFFRH0aOh%2FvUzeZHrcWL9DZQ9OnG78FOlSVRb2h51%2FeXGGlFPpoS63pTs4JNnV5tyAJeV3DKP9%2BKtC8YrQas4GNn6VIUDe5f8PTDYpSsQGhlawUeKy01wQ6K6G0mN9juCWycWkoxQtP68MYENe2JyAKsl6vJ79vp9A9%2B4S30vbW2Fysg%2FRJsnWC6U4D2EQrFvFImBIPxxNLkcUUOK3CcQlsA%3D%3D&checksum=11379151988092200231e19d4ef98e05138d917ca3d1

Obviously a Chinese copy - but …?

It’s typically Chinese disregard to intellectual rights. Buy it and be damned!

3 Likes

American Morse Equipment should be considered by those who desire an ultra small and lightweight CW key. I personally like my AME Porta Paddle-II, an Iambic paddle kit. They have a single paddle version called the Mini-B Paddle. It is a quality made device with a LIFETIME GUARANTEE! The base is drilled/tapped so it can be mounted to another base. Mine is mounted to an inexpensive clipboard, along with my KX2 and a log book. Makes it super-convenient to use on my lap for my SOTA activations. Reasonably priced as well.

72, Woody/K1LB

I use the Te-Ne-Ke paddles. Very small, lightweight, easily strapped to your leg or mounted to your clipboard, nice design and almost a touch paddle feel to them:
https://w8cso.org/teneke.php

2 Likes

Waste the money, It is a poor 3D print of the original Palm.

For a few more bucks you get a american morse paddle, for example.

1 Like

I am using that also. I like it because I can hold it in the palm of my hand, and put my hand in a mitten instead of mounting it

1 Like

Hi @W6IPA,

Thanks for publishing your work on Thingiverse. I enjoy making 3D printed paddles, and have made quite a few of them for friends. This is the first one I’ve made using your files. It came out pretty well!

Some notes: I didn’t use a ball plunger for holding the key in open/closed position. Instead I used 5x2mm rare earth magnets (3 required). I just drilled out the holes and glued them in. Works great and I had them on hand.

For the center post I used a copper washer. I also skipped the audio jack and soldered the lead directly to the contacts. I used the lead from an old dead pair of earbuds and used the Y fitting for strain relief. A bit of hot glue, job done.

The key works great! I used Velcro to attach to my clipboard, but it was a bit wobbly so I printed a simple bracket and screwed it down. Nice and secure. Summit trials this Friday if I can still hike after eating 1/2 my body weight in turkey and stuffing =)

Photos:

TU es 73!!

-Josh

2 Likes

This is great ! It looks very nice. I am going to make some changes to simplify - i love the magnets. I may integrate that in the next release.

JC/W6IPA.

1 Like

I made these of a relay :slight_smile:
they work great and cost nearly nothing :slight_smile:

My admiration, Frank ON6UU
You beat me on the cost, mine is a dollar dearer (version mic socket for FT-817), shipping included.
Those capacitive switches have zero friction, no need precision nor expensive mechanism, only problem is how to brew them up!

73 from Pascal

3 Likes

Here is my ultralight and ultra low cost FT-817 CW touch key from 2 TTP223 boards.

W1 & W2 are 2 preprogrammed links for low or high output and momentarily or latched switch.
I selected W2 close and W1 open for output low ( switch to ground) and non latched switching.

Cut 2 slots into the RJ45 plug and slide 2 boards in.

Boards are in correct position and secured with super glue, can be done with epoxy.

Soldered wires from boards and RJ45 :slight_smile:

1- Pad W2 short, W1 open.

2- Red wires to + 5V and pin 6/RJ45

3- Black wires to GRD and pin 2/RJ45

4- Green wire to OUT and pin 7/RJ45 (Dih)

5- Green-Brown to OUT and pin 8/RJ45 (Dah)

Happy ending

7 Likes

I’ve been building paddles for last couple years using beryllium-copper finger stock (used in EMI/RFI shielding) …it’s not a touch paddle but simple switches based on the TE-NE-Key concept.

Using found wood from SOTA hikes

Recently a friend built one using his 3D printer he calls it his Itsy-Bitsy-Teenie-Weenie IBTW-paddle and like the Pico it slides back into it’s little aluminum tube housing

Also just recently built a paddle using the housing from a BiC lighter

My latest creation of a BiC-paddle

73, Steve/wGOAT

17 Likes

Hi Steve,
Your paddles are so beautiful, a work of art, a reflection of harmony in bushcraft and amateur radio.

BeCu is unobtainium to me. I substituted it with steel tape and used gold plated relay contact points as switched.

Thanks for the photos
73 VK2IHL, Pascal

10 Likes

TU, Pascal for sharing your creative idea and photos! May the experimentation never cease!
Steve/wGOAT

1 Like

As I do not have an answer to the initial question I just want to tell you how I work - shamefully honest:

citation form Elecraft KXPD1 paddle kit
“I do, however, use the KXPD1 with the KX1 all the time–a lot. They work and the design works well with the KX1. I put up with a lot of compromises while backpacking. This is one of them.”

That’s exactly my opinion as well. If you try to attach this paddle to any other rig the effort is not worth the money. And it’s just a paddle, no built-in keyer. But just today I had an activation at below zero degrees C temp level with gloves without any issue. Rugged design, you cannot destroy this thing, and it is really small.

For rigs without keyer I use a paperclip straight key operated with my genuine technique: I hold the whole key in my hand reversed (cable pointing towards me) and smash it to my thigh, controlling the dots and dashes with my index finger. That works fine with gloves.

But a paddle would be nice. After reading through this thread (thank you for the great ideas) I think of bringing up my own design. At least it has to be attachable somewhere to the rig or the upper leg. Hmm I’m afraid I’m too lazy. Guess I will attach my KXPD1 to a small keyer with rugged housing and sophisticated mounting options.

73 Martin OE3VBU

1 Like

Has anyone built the single lever version the the W6IPA mini morse paddle? I see the STL files on the thingiverse, but no other information. I’m new to 3d printing and wondering if somebody might be willing to talk me through a few things.

Cheers,
John VA7JBE

3 Likes

I also have a Palm Radio Mini-paddle but recently purchased an N0SA SSP (Super Small Paddle) which is about 1/3 - 1/2 the size of the Mini-paddle. Larry (n0sa@att.net) makes these as a hobby so they are not always available. Very nice workmanship and mount with Dual-Lock velcro which is included. I made a very simple leg mount using a 1" wide nylon strap 18" long with a plastic cam buckle (www.strapworks.com). They have become very popular with US SOTA activators. $90 US + shipping.

Derek, WF4I

5 Likes

There is a ham out of Arizona who sells iambic paddles through Etsy, 3D printed keyer by Tim McCain. They are very lightweight. I have three and use them for everything. $30. Only problem is if they get really hot they get soft. I ruined one on a hot summer activation where I kept it in a clear container—it acted like a greenhouse and melted my keyer in minutes.

1 Like

That sounds like he prints in PLA material. For an outdoor rugged product ABS would be recommended.
It would give better temperature und UV resistance.

73 Joe

1 Like

Howdy neighbor to the north. I haven’t made this one before, but I’ve made dozens of other 3D printed paddles of various designs. Happy to help.

I’ve been printing in PLA which works well for the climate here in WA. I have yet to have one melt. It is possible to heat treat printed PLA to increase its heat resistance… they call it “annealing”. Haven’t tried it yet.

Drop me a PM if you’d like.

Josh

3 Likes