POLL: Do you have data modes capabilities in your shack

Unfortunately the local environment at the home QTH is too noisy to copy much by way of DX on JT65, though I did copy a KP4 yesterday evening. If I could reduce the bandwidth I might fare better. It might be worthwhile trying my 500Hz filter in the SSB narrow slot. Of course this is unlikely to be an issue out on a summit where it is usually a much quieter environment.

Yes, the world of CPU specs. Oh for the days when you could look at the model and speed of a CPU and know how much “ooomph” it had. It’s got to the point that the only way you know if it’s fast or not is when you run tests, the names are misleading now.

What’s good to know is that there are solutions for lower performance computers. I ran WSJT-x on a modern Windows tablet that uses a modern Atom 1.33GHz processor and the decode of the samples was almost instanaenous. Running the same WSJTx release on an 8 year old eeePC701 and decoding the samples was very slow. But the new Atom benchmarks 5.5 times faster. But the tablets have significantly naffer audio hardware. The eeePC701 has a quite a high spec audio chip, your Samsung will be the same.

Just waiting for a slow boat from China to deliver some USB audio cards to try…

my benchmark yesterday was 10watt (battery + KX3) and a 35ft wire in central London got me ~3500km somewhere in Russia, maybe a bit more. On 20m.

I did test this too. seems ok with the new versions of JT software. Battery will work for 3-4+ hours of work for sure. (my estimation! I did 30mins only)

Hi Andrew, I was thinking the summit ref may need to go in the free text field (followed by the 73 field), and probably lengthen the QSO to 8 transmissions - unless we put in the summit ref and 73 in the last over (keeping it at 6 transmissions).

The 13 character maximum transmission makes it harder, but we just have to work around it - personally I would be happy with summit ref and 73 as the final transmission of the activator - repeated if the chaser doesn’t give a 73 for it. Guess we can only try it and see how it goes, ammending as necessary.

The suggestion of moving below the traditional slot for JT modes to simplify it for SOTA chasers and reduce congestion is also a good idea - if not enough contacts are made, you can alwasy go back into the usual area to get enough to qualify.

Matt
VK1MA

agree! a preconfigured free text will be perfect.
GW SE001 73

As activation can be like a pileup, we might find a short cut to the exchanges! :slight_smile:

so lets see if shortcuts work:

I call CQ M6VAR IO91 (1)
a couple of guys respond
CALL LOCATION (2)
I replay CALL M6VAR -13 (3)
M6VAR CALL R-22 (4)
GW SE001 73 (5)
then more guys calling CALL2 LOCATION (6)
etc etc.

So can be 5, can also eliminate (6) if activator calls another one from the original decode.

Santa paid me an early visit and left a USB audio dongle that supports 48kHz sample rates. I’ll have a play over the Christmas break with this and a cheapo tablet and if something looks viable I’ll try it from a summit. This depends on it being viable with the tablet and the WX being suitable. The current WX not being suitable for much other than hiding out of the wind, rain, lightning & snow.

1 Like

I agree Matt. With Christmas greetings being sent at the moment, I have decoded many transmissions with no callsign in them, just greetings and 73. The frequency indicated by the software provides the clue as to who is sending the transmission, indeed WSJT-X has a window specifically for information on the working frequency. A full summit ref + space + 73 works (such as AA0/XX-001 73).

73, Gerald G4OIG

I assume that you already know this, 44k does the business for JT, more its just unneeded CPU usage.

The new “JTDX ver 17.3.2” software for JT modes specifically says you should use 48 kHz sampling rate. This is because it uses up to 4 consecutive passes to decode signals in the 12 second interval after each reception period.

Walt (G3NYY)

1 Like

My Acorn Atom had a 1 MHz processor speed (6502 chip), and 2 kB of RAM.

:wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

Thank you! I didnt know that!!

(Im not sure if the Atom CPU will handle more than a very basic single pass)

I can’t vouch for other software but I have WSJT-x running here with V1.7 on Win7 on a laptop and V1.6 on a Win8 tablet. The laptop has a full feature sound card (multiple inputs/outs multiple sample rates). The Win 8 tablet uses the USB dongle that arrived yesterday. Using the USB input set to “1 channel 48000 samples” WSJT-x is working using the laptop’s speakers and mic and a headset plugged into the USB dongle. If change the rate on the USB dongle to “1 channel 44100 samples” the it does not decode. Maybe other software will interpolate to 48kHz sampling.

The £2.01 USB dongle certainly works but it’s not HiFi! There’s a nasty sprog at 1kHz exactly but apart from that it’s fine.

Next is to make an audio lead for the 817 and check on the VOX keying.

1 Like

Whats a sprog?

A birdie, an internally generated signal.

I added a switch to mine so that I could double the clock speed when fully lucky!

Also used as slang for someones children. But no doubt you can see the etymological similarity.
Jim

I too am impressed with the WSJT-X software and have been trialing JT9 with the home station set up. I will download it to the netbook when I get a chance to see how it performs.The downside is the reduced bandwidth in view compared to JT65HF, but if you are primarily calling CQ rather than going S&P that is of no consequence.

As you seem to have the monopoly on bad weather up in Scotland at the moment, I won’t be including data in next week’s activations in GM/SS. It will probably be hard enough keeping everything dry.

I’ve done a sufficient number of activations over the years to know that you don’t try something new and involved on a summit till you have the bugs worked out at home. Hence playing with the software on to two computers connected back to back. Then tests involving radiios. Then tests from the garden. Then from a summit!

It looks that my incredibly rubbish 7in Win8 tablet will do for this. I bought it a while back for £49 merely to play. TBH it’s almost unusable as Win8 is not touch-driven enough and the display in Win desktop mode is too small to read. But cheap tablet finger dibber it will work, certainly useless with gloves or my big garden spade sized hands. It’s a 1.3GHz Atom Z3735 with 1G ram and 16G flash. I tried to grab a free Win10 update but there’s not enough flash. Persevering with Win8 is worthwhile as it looks to be OK for just one or two apps like this. The tablet is small and lightweight which is ideal for SOTA.

The WX is not good right now but we’ve had it easy. The North and West had the bad stuff, here it’s been blustery and very,very wet. Next Tuesday is looking good for WX but with the rain we have had and what is still to come, expect all rivers to be high and well in spate. Ground is likely to be very waterlogged too.

Mrs. FMF is in the kitchen preparing some wonderful smelling Christmas nosh, I’ve opened a bottle of Bowmore 9yr old special Sherry finished malt (peat & sweet…yum!). She’s listening to the annual “Carols from Kings” on Radio4 and I was watching some Status Quo videos on Youtube with a slight tear in my eye for Rick Parfitt who died earlier today. Meanwhile the wind is gusting and the rain is falling.

Bring your waders when you come up!

Yes, the summits have been chosen accordingly, with a nice track section to start us off. Hopefully back in February for some more “punishment”, so others in that area are already planned.

You certainly know how to up the angst… I will have to open my 12 year old Glenfiddich to retaliate, but I’d rather have what you are having. :wink:[quote=“MM0FMF, post:86, topic:14294”]
…watching some Status Quo videos on Youtube with a slight tear in my eye for Rick Parfitt who died earlier today.
[/quote]
Yes, that’s very sad. R.I.P. Rick - you will be missed.