POLL: Do you have a tablet?

Hi Andy,

what makes you believe that SOTA database is not working with Android on tablets or mobile phones (wouldn’t even expect any differences between tablets and phones)?

At least with the built-in browser in current versions of Android 5.1 and 6, my experience is, that looking at the results tables and also manually entering activations is quite possible.

73 Stephan, DM1LE

I’ve used both IPad and Android tablet to enter my activations whilst away from home. I’m also quite nosey and I like to browse other’s logs.

73, Colin

Edit - tablet runs KitKat 4.4

Does not work on my Kindle which I believe uses a version of android. The pull down menus don`t pull down. I thought it was a browser issue,

That’s the issue Steve, the menus don’t work with Chrome/Firefox on any version of Android I’ve tried. I don’t have an iPad/iPhone but users have reported the menus don’t work there. It is a known ASP.NET + Android/iOs problem.

I don’t have experience with any kind of Kindle, but on (standard) Android browsers just press and hold the corresponding menu entry for a longer time (don’t just tap on the entry). If the menu entry was already selected (indicated by a blue background) just deselect the entry and try again.

If you press a long time, a menu might popup ,which asks what you want to do, then just press the Android “back” button in order to dismiss this popup menu. Behind this popup menu the SOTA database menu should still be displayed.

73 Stephan, DM1LE

EDIT: Of course Andy @MM0FMF, I would never keep you off from making the access to the SOTA database even more intuitive and user-friendly :wink:

1 Like

At home I use a Samsung 10" Android tablet 4.4.2, which doesn’t work with the SOTA Database. For activating I use an Android phone.

Another vote for the Menu change please. At the moment I have to use my laptop or PC to use the Database.

73 Andrew G4AFI

Stephan,

Thanks for that tip, which indeed does work for me! You learn something new every day.

73 Andrew G4AFI

I can also confirm that the menus don’t work on my Kindle Fire running the Silk browser.

Dave (now 2E0DRJ…)

Brilliant! Thanks Stephan works for me with Android 4.2.2 / Chrome

73 de Paul G4MD

I use an iPad, all the time in the shack at home, occasionally on a hill.
Les

Can confirm that the database also works fine with Silk on Kindle Fire.

You have to hold down on the intial menu as stated above, but I’ve always done that! It would be nice to make it a bit easier, but yes it does work as it is.

Colin

Android Azus Zenpad 7" very useful with HamLog, sotawatch, ecc
Carlos 73 ik2yra

I use my iPad for everything. The accessabilty settings in Android are poor. iOS is the only operating system that works for me.

Mick M0MDA

Interesting in that Chrome (a recent version) on Lollipop does work with a longish press (it’s a bit hit and miss) but Firefox doesn’t. I’ve tried this idea before and it didn’t work so that probably is due a fix in Chrome at sometime in the past. I don’t use Chrome because I can’t run adblockers on it nor is it easy to SSH tunnel either. So my choice is Firefox +Ghostery+Ublock Origin then all my traffic is encrypted and tunneled with JuiceSSH.

But knowing that it works with Chrome and knowing that I’m running the DB server then I can live with no blocking or encryption on DB access. It still needs fixing properly however. iOS remains to be fixed.

Database works fine with Safari browser on my iPad. No need to hold menu, it works just the same as on my PC.

73, Mirko

I have an RCA Viking 10 inch running Lollipop (& Firefox) with a detachable keyboard. Like others have said, the touch screen alone would not drop the database menus, but it works just fine with the keyboard and pointer.

Hi Steve, unless you have a Kindle Fire, no the Kindle does not run Android. Even the Fire runs a non-standard (i.e. modified by Amazon) version I believe.

Ed.

Hi Andy,
Why have you options for iPad and iPad mini - they both run apples iPhoneOS don’t they. If it’s a screen size thing, then perhaps we need separate entries for 7 and 10" Android tablets as well? (Oh and yes for the Windows options as well).
Probably best to add the iPad and iPad mini numbers together.
Ed.

Hi Andy

I use an ipod mini tablet with various mapping applications like Anquet, Memory Map and ViewRanger and I use the SOTA Goat app for self spotting and chasing. However, in the field I still log by hand with my Rite in the Rain notebook!

Nick

Hi Ed, yes I have a kindle fire HD. Stephans tip works as a temporary work around. At least I can now enter activator logs whilst on holiday.