Pole guying

thanks for all your suggestions, loved looking at the photos!

i think i will go for the method that @KX0R suggested. it seems to be working fine and it is definately a lightweight solution! can’t wait for the snow to melt in my backyard to try it …

but please keep your comments and photos coming :slight_smile:

73 martin, oe5reo

Hi Martin
You can save some money and use a cable tie with some cord, I have used some foam on the inside to make it kinder on my pole and taped over it with electrician tape to help hold it place been using it now for over two years.
I do carry a few spare cable ties for emergency repairs to my rucksack and equipment ( not been used so far)

Graeme
M0OAT

3 Likes

I have been using a system similar to George’s except I use these instead of rubber bands:

https://www.rei.com/product/898273/nite-ize-loopable-gear-tie-6-package-of-2

At any given time I have 4-5 of them in my pack in various uses – bundling coax, attaching snowshoes to the back of the pack etc. They work very well for lashing a mast to an available fencepost/tree too (get the ones with the eyehole so you can chain them together). You can find cheaper generic ones at Amazon. Search for “gear tie.”

Joe

2 Likes

I look at guiding a pole for only 30-45 minutes as “only when needed” Simpler the better in my books. When I guide my tall mast, it’s about 7’ up with 3 cords heading out to what ever is handy, pegs being my last choice.
I also use a 14’ alum tent pole ( as well as a 9’ avi probe) as a mast. It has a cable tie the hold the cords in place. I just do a “round turn, 2 1/2 hitches” to secure the cord to it.
Just my $.02

Malen
VE6VID

Of the countless ways presented here, I present yet another – my ice cream lid guying collar:

Rex KE6MT

2 Likes

Hi Rex,
There is another recent thread discussing this exact antenna and variations on it’s design you and others may find interesting here:
QRPGuys tri-bander

I have found a problem with my build that the length of the feed coax affects the resonance of the antenna. At the suggestion of Martin DK3IT I have added a choke and will test again to see if this resolves the issue.

Hi,

Just to add my thoughts to this interesting thread -

I guy one of my walking poles, and then bungy the squid pole to that.

I use three guys, about 2m long. Each has a small loop one end for the peg, and a loose running loop at the other end, to fit over the walking pole handle:

Attach the three short lines to the walking pole, peg them out in approximate position - they take up little room, and you soon get to know where to place them.
Stand the pole upright, and then tension all the guys at the same time by extending the walking pole, and locking it in position.
It takes maybe two minutes - less time than I might spend looking around for something to support the pole, though I still often do that!

No knots or adjusters to fiddle with, and short guys that don’t tangle and are quick to wind up. Easy to use wearing thick gloves.

If you guy a telescopic pole anywhere above the bottom section, a side wind will cause the guy to put a downward force on the pole, tending to collapse it. My system avoids that.

Probably not ideal if you have a beam, and want to rotate the pole…

All good fun,

Adrian
G4AZS

7 Likes

I have used this setup a few times and it works well, on one occasion it was also holding up one end of a ridge line for a tarp.

John VK6NU

Here is the guying attachment that I use when there is nothing to bungee the bottom section of the pole to at the summit.
It’s made from a tennis ball .

David G3RDQ

12 Likes

Brilliant!

2 Likes

Terrific ideas. I’ll have to try some of these in my backyard before my next summit.

1 Like

Just watched Jerry’s video, This is a neat way of doing it. 2:10 into the video explains it.

Overall video is a bit long but worth watching. How to DEPLOY the HQD SPEAKER WIRE ANTENNA - YouTube

John VK6NU

1 Like

Hi,

I guy my roach pole with three pieces of cord with a tent slider/adjuster on each. I tie them to the pole with clove hitches and use tent pegs or rocks. Seems to stay upright and nothing to go wrong!

Ciao

MM0YCJ

1 Like

I only ever used small hand ratchet straps to secure my 7m mast to anything vaguely vertical … that was until 3D printing came into my life. A mast anywhere anytime… Hollywood voice over not included

VK1MIC .com
Wade

3 Likes

I use a Sotabeams guying ring (orange) which allows me to rotate my mast if I have a beam antenna. The cords and stakes are stored on the winder.

1 Like

thank you all for your replies.

i tried my new pole guying setup on the last three activations and it worked fine. in fact it’s so easy and simple to use i think this will be my favourite way of guying the antenna pole in the future. now i ask myself why i did not think of that solution earlier :slight_smile:

i use a cable tie, three simple cords and three mini-pegs. the additional weight doesn’t matter:

73 martin, oe5reo

4 Likes

Martin,
That looks very quick and simple. How high up do you use it from the ground??

Malen
VE6VID

About one meter from the ground. The pole is 6m long …

If you’re looking for ideas , here’s another DIY solution …
I made this to hold a small “golfing” umbrella (also from my beloved Decathlon store, hi).

It’s made from a 30cm PVC tube, diameter 40 mm + a piece of aluminium angle stock, 29cm long, of which one end is made into a pointed tip ( Note : don’t take this in your backpack on a plane … it’s a weapon! ;-).

One long 4 mm bolt with a thumbscrew makes it easy to unfold and use. Two nuts inside the tube make sure that I don’t crush the tube. All tension is held by the bolt alone.

The handle of the umbrella is a tight fit, I did test it on a windy summit … and on a windy beach on Mallorca !

I suppose it can also hold a light fishing pole (not tested yet), either by taking a larger tube to fit the pole inside, or using all but one element of the typical 6m pole from Decathlon, this will fit inside the 40mm tube. You will only lose the bottom 58 cm, still enough pole to put up a full size GP for 20m.

Still to do : make two cutouts as marked in the next picture, so that I can fix it at a 90° angle. Not sure where to use that, maybe for putting it between two large rocks on a summit, when you can’t put it in the (rocky) ground ?
(Would be OK for an umbrella, but probably will not take the torsion force of a fishing pole).

Other application ideas welcome !
73, Luc ON7DQ

I find that a 105 lb. anvil is a good balance between holding the pole steady and portability.

:smile:

10 Likes