Plynlimon - GW/MW-001

Hello

I’m planning an activation of Plynlimon soon and I was wondering roughly how long it takes to get to the summit from the Eisteddfa Carpark walking Northbound?

Also is this the best route from what I can see on the OS map it would appear so, does anyone have any other thoughts?

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to 2E0XTL:

It took me just under an hour - less coming down. I take it you read Richards notes :-
http://www.sotawatch.org/article.php?summit=GW/MW-001&id=1573

In reply to G1INK:
Many thanks, I did read Richards notes but just wanted some more advice!
Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Hi Matt

Assent time totally depends on your fitness level. I’m not sure Steve is a good gauge :o)

It took me a couple of hours when I did the walk, I’m a bit of a plodder.

The route from the farm is ok till you reach the old quarry from there it is a little boggy in places till you get on the upper slopes.

I enjoyed the walk to this one even though the day I did it it rained most of the way up.

Carolyn

In reply to 2E0XTL: An easy route, but is does get a little indistinct beyond the disused mine at 795857. There are a few visible remains there and it is perhaps interesting to speculate what the scene looked like when the mine was working, and how long ago that was.

An alternative descent route is to follow the ridge S to the edge of the woodland, (there has been some fencing work done here in the last few years), skirt the woods heading SE and later S to pick up a track descending E past another disused mine site (little evidence here, now) back to the farm.

Be carefull of the route past/through the farm. This has changed several times in the last 5 years, and last year certainly wasn’t as shown on OS Getamap now.

I don’t use the car park you mention. Just to the E on the A44 (perhaps about 808840) there is an extensive layby, but if you park too close to the mobile tea-bar he may get a little upset, if he’s there now.

Looking at the database, I’m very surprised to see that no-one has claimed any activation of this summit since mine (as GW6DTN/P) last June!

In reply to 2E0XTL:

Hi Matt,

It’s a pleasant summit and the walk in is well-graded to the quarry and thereafter not too strenuous. It took me 1hr 15mins up, 47 mins down in new boots in March 2008. Well worth combining with Disgywlfa Fawr MW-038 and I managed Pen-y-Garn MW-004 as well, but of course I did leave home at 04:00.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Many Thanks for all the advice guys, I look forward to getting up their within the next few weeks!!

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to 2E0XTL:

In reply to G4OIG:

Many Thanks for all the advice guys, I look forward to getting up
their within the next few weeks!!

The few weeks were more like months but did get up MW-001 today and very much enjoyed the walk, I went via the usual rout of Eisteddfa Gurig but came back past the woodlands to the West. The route took 1hr 35min

Many contacts worked on 2 SSB with best DX Phil OBK in N-Yorkshire. Also 2 contacts on 4m FM so happy with that!

Could not combine with other hills due to time restrictions, however I would imagine that Drosgol or any other hills to the west of MW-001 will be very hard on VHF due to the RF shadow cast by MW-001, your thoughts or observations please?

Also Andy’s SMS BOT is an excellent service so many thanks for that!

Best 73 cheers for all the QSOs

Matt 2E0XTL

In reply to 2E0XTL:

… however I would imagine that Drosgol or any other hills to the west of MW-001 will be very hard on VHF due to the RF shadow cast by MW-001, your thoughts or observations please?

Not as bad as you’d think Matt. I worked Andre ON4CAP on 2m SSB from Disgwlfa Fawr MW-038 and had a decent couple of activations from Banc Llechwedd-mawr NW-007 and Drosgol MW-008. Might be worth trawling the reflector for reports before you go and cross-referencing with the logs on the database. If you want specifics without going to that trouble, email me (as per QRZ.com) - always pleased to help. The band list on each summit page gives an idea of what can be worked from each summit of course.

Pleased you liked Plynlimon - the others in the area should not disappoint!

73, Gerald