PHil G4OBK Update

Phil has had a bad day. First the new and fully charged LiPO battery failed in the minus 3C temperature on Birks Fell NP-031, forcing Phil to cancel the SOTA and return to the car. (He did not transmit on 1832 KHz, although other chasers were calling him).

The rig worked fine when tested with a replacement SLAB in the car and Phil set off for his scheduled 2nd SOTA, Dodd Fell NP-016.

He phoned at noon to report that the car was stuck fast in a snowdrift and he was unable to move. He called Britannia Rescue who estimated they would be with him with a four-wheeled drive vehicle in approximately 1 hour.

I have called him back but his phone is switched off, possibly to conserve the battery, or he has no coverage. I have left a message asking him to call when the rescue services arrive.

Roy G4SSH

In reply to G4SSH:
Hi Roy.I have lost my mobile phone with Phils number.If i could have contaced him I would have nipped over with the Land Rover and rescued him.All the best hope to see you again at Norbreck 73 Geoff G6MZX

In reply to G6MZX:

Hi Geoff

Phil’s mobile is 07887-660-279.

The last phone call from Phil was very broken and almost unreadable and I did not get his QTH, but John G4YSS has travelled this route and reckons that Phil will be on the road from Birks Fell / Langstrothdale or the Cam houses Road.

I presume that Phil has give his location to the rescue services. Even if his mobile runs low he has a fully charged SLAB, HF rig and antenna (and 2m FM) so he could make contact with chasers to pass a message.

73 Roy

In reply to G6MZX:

Geoff
Update 1315

Have made contact with Phil who can just receive a signal if the phone is held right under the dashboard.

He is still awaiting the rescue services, which he thinks are coming from Skipton. He IS on the Cam Houses road, but in a remote spot too far to walk to a farm. He will keep his phone on should you want to call. Says leave it for a while to see if the Britannia Rescue arrives before 1330.

He will advise

Roy

In reply to G4SSH:

Update 1330

Rescue services have advised Phil that they have dispatched a 4 wheel drive from Ingleton.

Phil has walked to the top of a local hill and spotted another trapped car about a mile back so he has locked his car and is walking back to speak to the occupants.

Roy

In reply to G4SSH:

Final Update at 1500

Phil rescued after a struggle (snow blowing off the fields had formed a drift around his car).

Now on way back home to Pickering – a happy ending…

Roy

In reply to G4SSH:
Roy,
Thank you for the updates. Good to hear all is well.
Frank

In reply to G4SSH:
Thanks for all these infos Roy.

I was afraid we couldn’t have a drink with Phil in Fried next june…

Finaly ‘tout est bien qui finit bien’

73 Alain F6ENO

Thanks to all for your messages and concern, especially Roy (Dial-a-Spot) for passing information and Geoff for the offer of pulling me out with his Landrover. I was safely back home at 5.30pm after a refreshing brew stop at Leeming Bar Services. No damage to me or the car. As it’s near month end I’ll write up a report for Roy’s SOTANews on my eventful day in the Yorkshire Dales.

More about the LIPO batteries later when I have had chance to run some tests.

I will be returning to NP-031 and NP-016 later…hopefully while the winter bonus is still in operation.

Now it’s time for a shower and then a pub meal to make up for what has been a lousy day!

73 Phil

In reply to G4OBK:

Hi Phil

Very glad you got home safely. I’m intrigued by your LiPo problems in the cold, I look forward to further info and hearing the results of your tests.

Enjoy your well earned visit to the hostelry!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4OBK:

Excellent news that you are back safe Phil. Hope the pub meal smoothes the furrowed brow… no doubt the accompanying liquid refreshment will!

Like Paul I’m also intrigued by the failure of your LiPo. I usually leave mine in the backpack when it is cold (all wrapped up in their Jiffy bags) and despite operating in conditions as cold as minus 6C, I’ve had no issues whatsoever.

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OBK:

I saw your alert for 160m SSB yesterday & knew that even if you made the alerted time I would not be able to listen for you as I would be at work.

It does look like you had a very eventful day!!!

I’m so glad things turned out ok in the end Phil :slight_smile:

Hope to work you on top band again very soon!

All the best 73,

Mark G0VOF