On the way to Shack Sloth

On Sat 14/07/12, I decided to do an impromptu activation of The Wrekin, with two daughters in tow and bribes of going shopping in Telford afterwards. We left Wolves in brilliant sunshine but it was heavy rain when we left the car. But we carried on regardless until older daughter was feeling unwell. She returned to the car while dad and younger daughter made for the halfway cafe for coke and ice cream.
The rain continued to ease and I’m glad we made the ascent in such conditions as the views of mist and broken cloud were quite spectacular. By the time we summited, the rain had gone and the sunshine was getting brighter. I set up a vertical, 2m dipole while younger daughter collected stones.
A quick scan of 2m FM revealed Rob manning GB4MVF at a village fete not too far away. The next CQ call then netted 2E0XYL, always a pleasure but even better when one scores a summit-2-summit (S2S) and 10 chaser points for Helvellyn, G/LD-003.
A steady stream of stations continued and then time to pack up. I listened on the Wouxun handie on the descent and then heard M6BRM/P on Winter Hill (G/SP-010) whilst still in the activation zone: no QSO with rubber duck so dipole quickly assembled and another S2S and chaser points acquired.
I’m now on 8 S2S contacts so hoping to gain the first certificate for 10 contacts fairly soon.
TODAY, 27/07/12, I had a QSO with 2O0YYY/P on G/WB-004 (always a pleasure Mike) and subsequently realised that I now have 200 chaser points. I’ve not been able to activate in this fine weather but have been constructing the GW4BVE 5-band dipole until I’ve run out of garden on 20m!!! Not a good location for an antenna but I’ve had QSOs into Spain and Hungary so hoping for good results when I use it on the hills. I’m off to mother-in-law’s farm in Cornwall tomorrow where there will be space to add 40 & 60m! I’m hoping to activate G/DC-006, Carnmenellis, to test it.

Best 73s to all
Al (astair), M0TYM