On SOTA in Ireland

Hello,

Just to let you know that I shall be ‘on SOTA’ in Ireland from 16/2/2012 to 6/3/2012. I am going for Ireland West hilltops, many will be first activation. I have a stop-over with non-radio friends in the south of England (near Hastings) and south Wales (near Abergavenny) perhaps taking in a local SOTA.

Starting with Co. Wicklow mountains for good VHF/UHF take-off to the Dublin bay, also trying for contacts across the Irish Sea on 4m/2m/70cm FM. My main activity will be in Connemara, given the remoteness of some hills mostly on 20m/40m SSB. On the return journey I have 2 hills in Co. Tipperary to bag to complete my cluster of hilltops in that region.

Equipment will be handhelds (4W/1W) for 4m/2m/70cm with SlimJim wire antennas and an FT-857 (20W) for 20m/40m with a link dipole. Wind conditions permitting I will carry a small Yagi for 2m or 70cm to the top.

As an experiment I have equipped the car with an APRS beacon (SSID = ON4TA-9) so that you can check my whereabouts en route for SOTA activation.

I shall post an Alert on SOTAwatch nearer to the time. Activation is of course WX and access dependent, apologies if it does not work out as planned.

Looking forward meeting you on SOTA!

Best 73, Filip (Phil) ON4TA

In reply to ON4TA:
Thanks for the heads up Filip, I hope your plans work out for you and the WX holds.

I wont be able to hear you on VHF/UHF so I will hope to work you on either 20m or 40m. Will that be SSB only or some CW too ?

73s,
Andrew G4AFI

Enjoy your SOTA trip Filip!

73, Peter - ON4UP