Off to EA6/ME Menorca from Oct 11

Sorry didn’t hear you Karl. I got one UK M6 callsign. But I did get a UK 5w station too.

Well… technically I suppose it wasn’t the mountain… more what was growing on it. Seriously, I’d have needed a machete and even when I got in the AZ I have no idea how I’d have got the antenna up without a mess of tangled wires.

I’ve turned around on a Scottish summit in a blizzard when only 200m (horizontal) from the top… a loooong time before SOTA (the programme… not just my involvement). I’m sure there has been others too.

So there you go. Half the summits on Menorca done… good luck to anyone taking the other on on, unless you know a better route than I tried.

Hi Gerald,
My working week is finally over and I’ve just got an instant to sit down in my shack and just read your adventures in Menorca. I’m sorry for not having chased you but, there’s nothing we can do about that. We’ll look forward for future chances.

Yes I can imagine how frustrating it must have been having to abandone after having struggled and reached that close of the AZ. I guess there should be a track or a path somewhere, but possibly not as the locals may not be interested at all on mountaineering and the visitors usually look for other sources of entertainment rather than climbing hills while sweating and fighting against, rocks, bushes, branches, insects and all kind of “nasty” natural life :wink:

Glad to read that you had at least the pleasure of a good run on 20m from the 2nd summit.

Enjoy Menorca and have a good rest.

73 de Guru

1 Like

Thanks for the contact Gerald and also for the report on my audio problem - I’m tracking down the cause at the moment.

Sorrry to hear about having to turn back on the first summit, but safety first and if you don’t think you could have got an antenna erected, then why risk injury getting there? Good decision I think.

73 Ed.

1 Like