October SOTA Tour

During the week commencing 7th Oct I am taking family to Southport for a week to visit in-laws! XYL has given me authority to spend the week walking so the plan is to do some summits in the Lakes and some SP summits.

Plan to spend a night at the Kirkstone Pass Inn and do Red Screes and Stony Cove Pike. Would also like to do Helvellyn but not sure about best (easiest) route. Do not intend to do Striding Edge!! but thought about approaching the fell from the Thirlmere side. Map shows two possible routes - one up Helvellyn Gill and the other up Comb Crags. Would appreciate thoughts and recommendations on these or other routes.

Want to do some SP summits as well and again am open to suggestions.

Look forward to your thoughts and suggestions

73 Glyn

What a great way to spend a few days. I’ve not managed to negotiate any SOTA time for October half-term yet, and not sure it will be granted, so feeling potentially jealous!

I look forward to your report on Red Screes, as I’ve heard that the steep approach from the Kirkstone Inn as been worked on.

I have done Helvellyn 3 times using the same route. It is very easy. Park at Dunmail Raise lay-by, just south of the dual carriageway section of the A590. Walk up Raise Beck - good path. A quick diversion to the right (south) takes you onto the summit of Seat Sandal G/LD-022 for a bonus actvation. The approach for Helvellyn G/LD-003 is then up the zigzagging path up Dollywaggon Pike from Grisedale Tarn, then a flattish walk along the ridge to Helvellyn summit. After activating, descend via the Wythburn Path and then left (south) along the bridleway back to Dunmail Raise.

More details of this on my website at http://tomread.co.uk

Route descriptions and activation reports of all SP summits are also on my website. From Southport you will be within easy reach of Billinge Hill G/SP-017, Winter Hill G/SP-010, Ward’s Stone G/SP-003, Pendle Hill G/SP-005, White Hill G/SP-006, Fair Snape Fell G/SP-007, Boulsworth Hill G/SP-008, Easington Fell G/SP-012 and Longridge Fell G/SP-014. You are also not much further from NP summits in the Howgills and the Yorkshire Dales.

Enjoy!

Tom