NW-029 and NW-057

Tips posted for these hills. http://www.sotawatch.org/summitinfo.php

Both hills are hard work for their size and both in a day was strenuous (must be lacking fitness) - total for day 11.1km, 960m (just over 3,100ft) ascent. No-one else seen on either summit. Unexpected contests on 40m made decision to take amplifier seem like a good one. Superb weather. Both hills done as circular walks to enable route comparisons to be made.

Polévka dne pea and ham.

Richard
G3CWI

PS Just noticed that doing these two hills requires more ascent and more distance covered than doing Snowdon via the Pyg track!

In reply to G3CWI:

PS Just noticed that doing these hills requires more ascent and more
distance covered than doing Snowdon via the Pyg track!

That’s why your legs ache this morning! Well done on the pair Richard - as you say not that easy and some stiff gradients on both ascents. Very pleasant hills though with good views from both… see you weren’t tempted to bag the Tarrens during the evening, or even Gamallt. :slight_smile:

73, Gerald

In reply to G4OIG:

or even Gamallt. :slight_smile:

That’s one hill that is not even on my list for a second visit!

The Tarrens were my other option for yesterday - how easy is it to traverse from one to the other?

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

In reply to G4OIG:

or even Gamallt. :slight_smile:

That’s one hill that is not even on my list for a second visit!

Enjoyed Gamallt, quite a steep pull up the bank though! We (Gerald and I) did it from Abergynolwyn, and it wasn’t too bad.

The Tarrens were my other option for yesterday - how easy is it to
traverse from one to the other?

The traverse is an excellent walk. It was horrendous weather when we did it, but at times the mists cleared for a while and the views were spectacular. Plenty of parking at the head of the public road at SH690059 for a circular walk. We (accompanied by Carolyn G6WRW and Helen M0YHB - don’t think they’ve forgiven us yet for the soaking they got!) did Tarrenhendre first then went on to Tarren y Gesail. Recommend following the fenceline from Foel y Geifr rather than looking for the path heading NE through the woods - despite a tempting stile, it doesn’t seem to exist on the ground.

Enjoy!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

All noted - thanks for the tips Paul.

Richard
G3CWI