Not SOTA GW8ZRE/P

GW8ZRE/P on NW-043 Cyrn y Brain has advised he is not SOTA as is in his car.

Karen 2E0XYL

He has entered the 3B section, which would suggest he was at least 100m away from his car and entirely SOTA qualifying. Or it would suggest that he has mistakenly entered the wrong section!

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
I heard him say to Roger G0TRB that he was sitting in the car.

73 Graham G4JZF

In reply to M1EYP:

Always operates from the car. You should check he has permission to drive his car up the hill as well. :wink:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M1EYP:

I worked him just before posting this and thanked him for the SOTA points to which he replied he wasn’t SOTA, he was in his car - hence my post Tom. (I certainly couldn’t hear the wind that accompanied other operators in the contest.) 2 other people also reported later on by means of SPOTS that he was sitting in his car.

Karen
2E0XYL

In reply to M1EYP:

People don’t read the rules. I notice, too, that the station with the leading “Low Power” claimed score in the recent 70 MHz UKAC says he was running 9 watts. The power limit for Section AL on 70 MHz is only 4 watts.

Also, the following rule applies to ALL Backpackers Contests:

“Equipment shall not be capable of delivering more than 10 times the section maximum power level. Participants shall provide details with their entry of how their power level was determined.”

http://www.rsgbcc.org/vhf/rules/11rules/BACKPACK.htm

I wonder how many entrants observe that rule.

Walt (G3NYY)

This is interesting. I wonder how many operated the back packers from their car. I heard a few that clearly weren’t sitting in the pouring rain.

Its making a mockery of a contest that I and I think many other SOTA operators enjoy. What don’t the contest comittee arrange 1 contest on 1 day. Single operator TRUE backpacker max 3w. This would sort out the confusion.

Its becoming a joke!

Just added a few pictures … It’s Barr Beacon north Birmingham. Not a SOTA summit but literally on my door step. Proper back packing contest - :wink:

In reply to 2E0CVU:

LOL! I never thought of using a Portable Power Station as a power source for SOTA operations. Is it very heavy to carry?

Walt (G3NYY)

[And I WAS operating from the car yesterday, in the Hill Toppers’ Contest. It’s perfectly legitimate, but doesn’t count for SOTA of course.]

In reply to MM0FMF:
…You should check he has permission to drive his car up the hill as well. :wink:

Who should check what??? Who’s responsibilty is this?

Keith OKT

In reply to GW4OKT:

One could assume that seeing how he must have had a key to the gate that he also had permission to drive his vehicle up. Although that permission may have been granted twenty years or more ago as Dave has been operating from there in contests for as long as I can remember. ;0)

Steve GW7AAV 73

In reply to GW4OKT:

For SOTA you need permission to operate from private land. See General Rules 3.7. In Scotland pretty much everywhere is OK, we have quite sensible laws regarding access. In England/Wales the laws are more restrictive, that’s why you are meant to get permission to operate on Swinside LD-057 whereas nearly everywhere else you can just go and operate.

In Scotland we have many private roads originally belonging to the Hydro Electric Board. These were built during 40’s/50’s/60’s when the dams and power stations were constructed. Many of these roads remain private but vehicle access is tolerated. e.g. Loch Lednock road. Most of the time the gates are closed but not locked and it’s common to find many walkers parking there. Sometimes the gate is locked though, typically when lambing. Likewise the road from Lubreoch, Glen Lyon to Pubil, Glen Lochay was built as a shortcut by the hydro and to enable a one way system for the construction traffic. (All traffic drove up Glen Lochay, then over the private road then down Glen Lyon.) Public access was tolerated for many years. It officially became a public road a few years back. (It’s going to close soon and be locked, there’s no brass to fix the poor surface so it’s easier to shut it rather than be liable for insurance claims!)

However, taking a car through a locked gate and driving on to private land and up a private road requires permission from the land owner. You might assume having a key gives you permission but not always. The key maybe to allow for access to a commercial site on top of the hill. But just because you have access to work at the commercial site doesn’t give you permission to drive up and take part in a contest!

Also from the Forestry Commission’s website comes the following:

“Section 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 states that it is illegal to ride/drive a vehicle on Forestry Commission land, common land, moorland or any land that is not forming part of a road without authorisation.”

The responsibility lies with the activator to know where they are walking, operating and driving is acceptable. There’s a little tick box whenever you enter an activation on the database that says you confirm you operated within the rules and spirit and that it is subject to verification.

But as Dave wasn’t operating under SOTA rules so SOTA rules don’t apply to him. As for the wrong contest section, well knowing Dave well enough from contesting in the past, this will be finger trouble and not deliberate. You can tell this because it’s no skin off his nose to have given away SOTA points to chasers, yet he made clear he was not operating under SOTA rules.

Andy
MM0FMF

Hi Walt. This is the setup I have spoken to you a few times on. The Portable power source I picked up from Elvaston Castle many years ago for £2. Best £2 I have ever spent. It is heavy but its worth its weight.

In reply to MM0FMF:
…The responsibility lies with the activator to know where they are walking, operating and driving is acceptable.

Yes agreed, I do not see it as any of my business to ask another operator if they have permission for access to be honest. What happens if the situation becomes confrontational? I do not regard myself as part of a policing authority at all and I hope that SOTA officialdom do not expect this from me!

This only a hobby.

Keith OKT

In reply to GW4OKT:

I do not regard myself as
part of a policing authority at all and I hope that SOTA officialdom
do not expect this from me!

I don’t imagine that they expect anything beyond you taking responsibility for your own activations.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to MM0FMF:

you are meant to get permission to operate on Swinside LD-057 whereas
nearly everywhere else you can just go and operate.

It has recently been reported in this forum that you are supposed to get advance, written permission from Hampshire County Council to operate from Butser Hill (G/SE-004). I have gained the impression, however, that this rule is not always being followed!

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3CWI:

Glad to hear that…some common sense…so no more suggestions then, to ask people to ask other operators if they have access permission. Thanks.

Cheers

Keith OKT

In reply to GW4OKT:

By coincidence, this very topic is currently under discussion in another forum. A contributor has expressed the view that it is a very BAD idea to start writing to local councils, etc, asking for permission to operate. Because as sure as eggs are eggs, some jobsworth will arbitrarily say “No” and in so doing, will preclude any further operation from that site in perpetuity!

I am inclined to agree. You should never ask officialdom for permission to do anything!

Walt (G3NYY)

Hi Walt

I activated Butser Hill a few months ago.

It is a public area with a pay car park and much dog walking going on.

I looked around for any published by-laws preventing me from operating my radio there but saw nothing (probably because of the fog!!).

Anyway, nobody bothered me.

Regards

Dave

In reply to M0TUB:

I rest my case!

It was even alleged recently that you need to seek permission before operating from Leith Hill, which is patently untrue.

Walt (G3NYY)