North Wales/Lakes Circular walk

Afternoon All,
As work has pretty much managed to ruin my attempts at racking up the winter bonus points this year, I have decided to take the day off on Thursday and go for it.
I am fancying a bit of a go in the Lake district or North Wales, can anybody suggest a reasonable circular walk that can be done in a day on average fitness to stack up a few points please?

Thanks

Tim

G4YTD

In reply to G4YTD:
Hi Tim,

Off the top of my head as dinner’s ready;

NW-019, NW-001 and NW-008 from Watkin Path

NW-013 and NW-028 from A5 Capel Curig (recommended).

NW-004, NW-003 and NW-006 from Rangers station Ogwen Valley.

NW-018 and NW-011.

NW-020 and NW-024 from Rhyd Ddu

Less challenging

NW-044 and NW-051.

NW-042 and NW-043

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX:

NW-044 and NW-051.

NW-042 and NW-043

An averagely fit person can do all 4 in one day given an early arrival at the 1st car park and not dawdling on the activation.

NW-044: c. 40mins to the summit.
NW-051: c. 22mins to the summit.
NW-043: c. 35mins to the summit.
NW-042: err… I can’t remember but it’s probably the longest of them all.

I did NW-044, NW-051 and NW-042 on one day in December as my 4th, 5th and 6th SOTA activations. I had zero fitness at the time.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Good points quota on a winters day Andy for sure but I bet you didn’t drive back to Scotland same day…must remember that for next year

Phil G4OBK (Currently in LY - no SOTA here)

In reply to MW0IDX:

Hi Roger

Wonder if you meant NW-013 with NW-028? Very nice walk and not too demanding.

NW-020 and -024 are a lovely pair, with some interesting drops along the way! We did them from the end of the road up the valley at SH 540 492 - fascinating industrial archeology if you walk up through the quarry via Cwm Trysgl.

Tim - in the Lakes, LD-007, -010 and -022 make a nice round that’ll gain you 31 points if you catch it in the winter bonus period :slight_smile: Or back in Wales, Aran Fawddwy and Glasgwm are a pleasant way of earning 20 winter points.

Enjoy your outing wherever you end up!

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4YTD:

Not as many points as something on Fairfield et al but Stoney Cove Pike & Red Screes from somewhere near the Brotherswater Inn works as a circular walk. More effort than doing them as a pair of “there and backs” from Kirkstone but a nicer day out.

Iain, MM3WJZ

In reply to G4MD:
Oops, yes I meant NW-013, thanks for catching that Paul. Now corrected.
Roger MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX:

Edited mine too Roger… sorry about that… Don’t know who Ian is…

73 de Paul G4MD

Hi All
Sorry work managed to get in the way of me sending a reply!

Thanks for all the advice.

Weather and fitness permitting, it is looking like Helvellyn to start, followed by Seat Sandal, fairfield and St Sunday. To get them all in summit time is going to be limited, so appologies in advance if I dont appear too chatty :slight_smile:

Thanks again, and hope to work as many as possible tomorrow (Thursday).

T!m

G4YTD

In reply to G4YTD:

If your trip is anything like mine on Monday, you’ll have a great time! I did St Sunday Crag, Fairfield and Seat Sandal. It looks as though those summits are seeing quite a ‘peak’ in activity this week!

Enjoy the pile ups!

Colin
M0CGH
(who suprisingly didn’t ache at all yesterday!)

In reply to MW0IDX:

In reply to G4YTD:
Hi Tim,

Off the top of my head as dinner’s ready;

NW-019, NW-001 and NW-008 from Watkin Path

NW-013 and NW-028 from A5 Capel Curig (recommended).

NW-004, NW-003 and NW-006 from Rangers station Ogwen Valley.

NW-018 and NW-011.

NW-020 and NW-024 from Rhyd Ddu

Less challenging

NW-044 and NW-051.

NW-042 and NW-043

Roger MW0IDX

Roger/

As one of only five people to do it, and the only one (so far) to have done it twice, I thought you would have suggested NW-005/004/003/006 as a day out. It can be done in that order from Ogwen.

Mick M0XMC

In reply to M3MCV:
Hi Mick,
Yes, I guess it can be done from Ogwen. But I have only done it from Nant Peris to Ogwen using two cars. NW-005 does add quite a bit of walking in one day. I thought just the three summits was more in keeping with; “a reasonable circular walk” as requested.

Perhaps I should try the four again this year but starting from Ogwen.

Roger MW0IDX

Hi Roger,

Can me and Dad M1EYP join you for activating these 4 SOTA summits from Ogwen to Nant Peris?

Jimmy 2E0EYP

…which sorts out the requirement of the two cars…!

In reply to 2E0EYP:
Of course you can Jimmy, we’ll get a date sorted for this summer.
I’ll send you an email.

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX:

In reply to M3MCV:
Hi Mick,
Yes, I guess it can be done from Ogwen. But I have only done it from
Nant Peris to Ogwen using two cars. NW-005 does add quite a bit of
walking in one day. I thought just the three summits was more in
keeping with; “a reasonable circular walk” as requested.

Perhaps I should try the four again this year but starting from Ogwen.

Roger MW0IDX

Hi Roger/

Oh dear, looks like I’ve started something here. I remember speaking to yourself and Rick on your trip back in 2005. I did it from Ogwen by taking a route up through the Mushroom Garden and doing 005 first. I said I would never try it again but I’ll be up there in June so might have another go

Cheers

Mick M0XMC

In reply to M3MCV:
Some more options on creating end to end or crossing routes by using bus services (cheaper parking options too!)

In reply to MW6AQU:
I haven’t worked out how many summits you would get but

would get a few points and if you skip the HUMPS would be quicker :wink:

In reply to MW6DHN:

In reply to MW6AQU:
I haven’t worked out how many summits you would get but
Paddy Buckley Round - Wikipedia
would get a few points
Hi hi!
That would be amusing to do with a radio… the equal record holder (Chris Near) up to July 2009 is a friend of a friend… given what I know about his round I won’t be taking it on any time soon, with or without a radio!

Gerald
MW6AQU/P