North America <> Europe SOTA S2S Party - 19th November 2016 1400 - 1700 UTC

Europe to NA Sota party sounds very interesting to me. I would gladly participate.
But hopefully not during winter season please !! :sunglasses:

Eric
VA2MO

+1 (date dependant)

Count me in. I missed the vk-eu event.

My one and only EU-NA S2S contact was late in the year in 2014

04/Dec/2014 14:03 DD5LP/P W4EON/P W4V/SH-015 Peak, The DL/AL-179 Weichberg 21MHz SSB

So perhaps an event in November (where we also get a winter bonus on some summits) would work well from a propagation point of view.

73 Ed.

Iā€™ve had about 3-5 voice contacts from EU over last 18 months into W6 land including one from Spain during Ericā€™s memorial activation last week.

Rain and snow have come early to the northern parts of California and we had snow at 7,500 last week at Ericā€™s event. Southern Cal seems pretty dry at present but last year we did get snow in the San Gabrielā€™s (near LA) from mid November through February which made access more challenging.

All in all I think the suggestion of an NA-EU event to be brilliant and am game for it. Iā€™ll take a Buddipole and 100 watt station to whatever peak I can reach and given we have so many that shouldnā€™t hard.

Nov/Dec could work as would spring time.

Paul W6 AM

Managed a couple NA sota,s last spring and winter before.
Just need another one from those two regions to make me platinum mountain hunter award.

karl

Iā€™ve been suggesting such an event for years . . . .

Yes, QRPTTF has been the best opportunity for s2s up till now, with a few European participators. Iā€™ve got 31 s2s contacts with EU to date.

Iā€™ll try and give it a shot but I think spring/summer would be better in terms of temperature and daylight.

I suggest a two-hour window where everyone would be on the summit at the same time, but I know many are not going to agree with this idea. And Nov/Dec may preclude W USA and EU being in simultaneous daylight.

73, Barry N1EU

Im in! For me, S2S contacts are exciting and I have yet to make an EU - NA S2S. Would really love to work a VK S2S from here in Maine but thatā€™s more of a challenge than EU. Lets do this!!
Mike NS1TA (ex W6AH)

Why not start a thread to set up a NA-VK S2S SOTA event Mike?

Edā€¦

Hi Mike

Likewise, I would like to work NA S2S! Back in 2014 I conducted a series of early morning activations in and around VK1 with the aim of working NA on 10 and 15m. The proof of concept for 10m worked, I conducted 3 activations working a total of 22 NA chasers. I also sought out interest from NA SOTA activators to attempt a S2S QSO, none were forthcoming, an opportunity lost.

Data on my Dx activations can be found at https://vk1nam.wordpress.com/sota-dx-from-vk1/ scroll down to the VK to North America section of the page.

Itā€™s not my intention to hijack this thread or to change the conversation to VK <> NA. I just wanted to let you know there is sufficient interest among VK activators to work North America S2S. What we need to do is organise a series of simultaneous activations between VK and NA to find an optimal propagation window and frequency. From my experiments in 2014 the propagation window is somewhere between 2000 to 0000 UTC and may be narrowed down to 2100 to 2300 UTC. Frequency options may cover 17, 15, 12 and 10m. I am keen to conduct a series of early morning weekend (Saturday or Sunday) VK1 phone SSB activations starting around 2100 UTC (8 am local time). I may be able to entice a couple of VK1 CW activators to join the experiment.

Happy to take this conversation off line. You can contact me via my email at QRZ or use this facility to send a message.

73, Andrew VK1AD

Andrew, from the USA east coast, an optimal propagation window may be long path on 20M - morning in E USA and evening in VK/ZL. Thatā€™s when Iā€™ve been chased by VK on a W2 summit. Iā€™ve likewise had success chasing VK 20M longpath in our morning.

So I donā€™t think you should overlook this other (long path) propagation window.

I think QRP ssb (VK-W2) is a long shot unless you have optimal propagation. QRP cw is going to be much more likely to succeed.

73, Barry N1EU

1 Like

Yes, that could be something to put people off, but to maximise the opportunity for S2S contacts, we would have to go with the propagation.

ā€œFrom Europe in November short path propagation should be best to the East Coast between 1300 and 1900 UTC on 14MHz but for the West Coast the best times appear to be between 1600 and 1800 UTC - This is not grey line, this is just ā€œnormalā€ propagationā€ - Ed DD5LP.

For somewhere like Edinburgh, by late November dusk will be around 16:30UTC with nightfall around 45 minutes later, so a descent in the dark would be inevitable based on the above timings. I have both ascended and descended summits in the dark without any issues - the key is to select the summit. Summits with a short walk or with an established route such as a forestry track would be a good choice for an activation carried out in the dark. From experience, setting up in the dark is more difficult than dismantling, but those to the east of the UK would most likely have to both set up and dismantle in the dark. However, Tom M1EYP does that on a regular basis on The Cloud G/SP-015 when he operates contests - this evening indeed!

Well so far we have a tally of 7 UK stations interested, Ed DD5LP and 9 from the States, plus Eric as a possible from Canada. I think we need more input from EU before we can say it is a viable proposal, but what the heck, I am keen to give it a go anyway - and my nearest unique is at least 4 hours drive away!

73, Gerald G4OIG

If you only enter the S2S contacts then you will not affect your precious 100% unique activator score as they are a chaser award and can use any summit unique or not. :grin:

You do have to know the timing of the EU openings here in the states and Europe for this to work. The window timing will vary by location. The following may helpā€¦

From summits in Arizona I have made seven s2s QSOā€™s from NA to EU.

Timing for all was from 1455-1615 UTC (1455, 1514, 1542, 1556, 1614, 1614, 1614). One QSO in Feb, May, Sept, Oct, and three in November.

One S5, one M0, one HB9, four DF workedā€¦all QRP CW.

Timing is criticalā€¦gotta be there for the window.

Pete
WA7JTM

If you look at my entries, you will see that I donā€™t log S2S contacts specifically as S2S (donā€™t ask why, I just donā€™t.), so logging anything would be pointless. Iā€™ve also said many times on various threads that I donā€™t hold any real interest in repeating summits and for those that I have done with my other call, Iā€™ve always sought a different ascent route where it has been practical. Need to get a new ā€œfixā€ every outing. :slight_smile:

Hmmm, thatā€™s encouraging Pete. It fits in well with Edā€™s window of 1300 - 1800UTC, but 5 hours is way too long. I reckon 3 hours would probably be the maximum. I have done 4 hours, but that was in decent weather and daylight .

73, Gerald G4OIG

Hello,
count on me, if available on the date!
I had a good experience on a past QRPTTF event, dated back on May 2014.
Since then, only a few qso achieved with NA, so Iā€™m looking forward to that event.

I agree that best would be to agree a reduced time window. Afternoon activation works fine on 15-17-20 metersā€¦

Stay tuned.
73 de Ignacio

Iā€™d like to add my support, and lacking some prior commitment Iā€™ll be on a peak at whatever time is favorable (day, morning or night). I get a thrill out of DX from a summit, and that hasnā€™t lessened with time. If I know a bunch of EU folks are trying, Iā€™ll haul an amp up the mountain for another 1.5 S-units. No EU S2S contacts yet, however Iā€™ve been chased by Karl M3FEH with his QRP ops at home.

Kevin AC2KL

PS: Iā€™ll add this - Iā€™ve tried EU S2S before when Iā€™ve heard the activator, but the pile-ups over there are pretty dense and I havenā€™t been able to get through.

Count on me.

BTW: Tnx fer QSO during VK/Z <> Eu QSO party!

Have a good time folks, these trans continent S2S events really get the bands rocking. Good luck with the propagation.

Cheers, Nick

Count me in. I missed vk-uk as I had planned to be on Scafell Pike early but couldnā€™t make the time.

Neil G0WPO