North America <> Europe SOTA S2S Party - 19th November 2016 1400 - 1700 UTC

Ah, well it must be that super-gain coax you are using or “The Cloud Effect” or maybe that “IO83 Effect” so often talked about on VHF. :wink: Sometimes I don’t know how you do it… or maybe I am a bit too chilled out. :grinning:

1 Like

I sat by Tom on Hallin Fell once. Shall we say when he was trying to work some exotic station (may have been Maldives or such) on 12m, the look of determination on his face was set to “I’m busy do NOT disturb”. That is why he can winkle the signals out when in S&P mode.

1 Like

That would have been…

http://tomread.co.uk/hallin_fell_ld-043.htm

It was Suriname I was chasing, but didn’t get. I don’t think my “look of determination” had quite the same bite back in those days…

I left my “look of determination” back in the days when I used to operate in VHF NFD. I came to SOTA for a rest from determined operating. You can tell my current MO by the way that I actually had time to lie on my back and take a photo of my pole and antenna last Saturday. :wink:

Are you looking to be the new Max Miller?

:wink:

If the goal is to maximize the number of s2s contacts, there’s no doubt in my mind that watching spots together with an antenna that allows fast QSY is a serious advantage.

73, Barry N1EU

Hi Barry,
In my opinion, the “goal” is whatever YOU set for YOURSELF. This is not a contest.

OK, I guess there is a goal - to enjoy yourself!

Ed.

1 Like

But how else do you find out the callsigns and summit refs of the stations you are working, Tom?

:wink: :wink:

Walt (G3NYY)

So do I.
When activating, I often refuse looking at SOTAWATCH and I prefer to just CQ on a clear frequency in order to offer the summit to as many chasers as possible.
Finding an activator on another frequency and fighting with the home based QRO chasers trying to break the pile-up with just 5 watts is hugely time and battery consuming, ending up in frustration some times due to not having been able to make the S2S contact. This has happened to me quite a number of times.
When I’m up on a summit, I usually have little time to remain there and playing S&P or fighting in pile-ups is something I can’t afford.
Best 73,

Guru

1 Like

I’m glad to report my review on this action got into Southgate News, the GB2RS RSGB Broadcast, ARNewsline and WIA News.

It was welcomed by those organisations as there is a good level of interest in Summits on the Air by their audiences. As soon as there is a firm date for the NA-VK S2S or any other S2S events, please make sure this information is sent to at least these 4 groups - or I am happy to submit the information for the organiser. Please note I am NOT the official PR person for SOTA but as these events are activator organised rather than “official” SOTA events, I am happy to help where I can with getting the word out to those who do not monitor this reflector.

Once the NPOTA action ends, at the end of December, I think there will be some portable operators in the US looking for a new challenge and it’s be good to welcome them into the SOTA family.

73 Ed DD5LP.

2 Likes

Thanks for doing that Ed. It is good to get the SOTA “message” out there. Events like these demonstrate to the wider amateur fraternity that this is a serious and worthwhile activity deserving of the highest respect.

With regards to the future, perhaps those interested in a further NA-EU S2S event in the Spring can start to give some thought as to when might be appropriate. I appreciate “the ink is hardly dry on the page”, but as people start to consider what is coming up for them in the new year, hopefully this will figure in their planning.

73, Gerald G4OIG

1 Like

Yes please! Missed out this time because my Saturdays get booked up many weeks in advance due to work commitments. Really like to be able to plan the next one in in time :slight_smile:

73 de Paul G4MD

There’s also no reason not to have an inter-regional S2S event at some time as well - e.g within North America - coast to coast will be a challenge in any case, or across Europe, or Asia Pacific wide.

73 Ed.

wow… interesting… when the next one?