North America <> Europe SOTA S2S Party - 19th November 2016 1400 - 1700 UTC

Unfortunately Tom the other factor is the weather and the present forecasts for Central Europe are not looking good, with thunder storms and heavy rain forecast. We can only hope it isn’t as bad as they say it will be.I now have another back-up summit, where I know I can get some cover from the rain, having operated there before in heavy rain.

Ed.

To be fair Brian, it does look like my mistake, as I see in M6VAR’s post the little icon the suggests he was replying to G3CWI.

Nonetheless, Detective EYP is also available to explain that mystery too - if required.

Then it’s a negative contact and the control passes back to the “owner”. If the two secondary activators can’t hear each other, this can be assessed in about 10 seconds.

While the ideas have merit, I think they’ll be too complex to implement in the busy environment that we hope we’ll have on Saturday, especially as not all activators read this thread.

I think just be open and look out for each other is the best approach.

73 Ed.

2 Likes

The backpack will weigh around 16kg"

So you are taking a lucky anvil as well?

EA8/M0FMF/p

i think i’ll be taking my new ft-817 and just trying to get s2s with the 5w into a 1/2 wave resonant end fed antenna by gwhip antenna’s. Currently thinking of trying to install it as a sloper towards the US and keep the feed end attached to the top of a walking pole as apposed to sitting on the ground as usual, it might be a better performer that way.

1 Like

It’s good to see a lot of alerts including 17M and 15M. I wouldn’t want to solely depend on 20M.

73, Barry N1EU

2 Likes

No, I decided against that in favour of the lightweight 4 element tribander. I don’t do luck. I decided to have some certainty for this event! :wink:

1 Like

I have a special inflatable lucky anvil for just such occasions. It was made by the same cunning fellow who made my inflatable scuba diving weights. So much easier to pack along! :wink:

Rain/snow forecasts for both sides:

Maybe things are improving. DXplorer.net showed that 20 m was a bit better today than yesterday - the peak time today was 13:30z. This is not a prediction of course.

http://dxplorer.net/wspr/tx/dxgraph.html?callsign=G3cwi&timelimit=4d

1 Like

Hi Barry,
as the S2S schedule is for 14-1700 UTC/GMT could you possibly post the maps for the next 3 hr slot as well please?

I’m hoping for a föhn wind off the alps where I live, which can change wether drastically for the better. A special Bavarian weather effect.

73 Ed.

Thanks Barry - by that chart if I delay my start by 1 hour, I will miss the rain on the summit (I’ll be driving 2 1/2 hours through it, but that’s OK).

The summit I’m hoping to activate is just below the “M” in Munich on the chart.

73 Ed.

Forecast for Lautlingen shows it clearing around noon: https://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:00000.92.10827 but obviously best to check closer to Saturday.

I count 50 summits listed with two having two operators (so 52 alerts but only 50 summits), in any case a very good showing so far.

Nice to see PSK in there as well!

Ed.

Ah yes, the rain stops around Noon - then the snow comes:

But as you say a lot can change in 48 hours!

Ed.

EDIT - and a lot can change if you go to a different weather forecast site - this from daswetter.com - Sunshine at end of activation and no rain ??

Yes, I was wondering whether there is anyone over on the west side of the pond to give Joao an opportunity for a PSK31 S2S, then I noticed Chris W3CDW had put on an alert for the mode. I hope they make it okay. I did wonder about setting up my netbook, but without having had time to prepare suitable cables and do tests, then it will have to wait until next year. I will probably go down the Android route anyway.

Thank goodness it can! We had mini tornados here in the UK today. 4 seasons in a day is promised for tomorrow. Thankfully Saturday looks somewhat calmer though what it will be like sitting on a summit with more than 270 degrees of sea views I don’t know. I will take it as it comes. I am taking plenty of ally pegs!

73, Gerald G4OIG

We are finally getting snow in Colorado today. I believe I will have to wear my double boots and gaitors up my summit on Saturday morning. My summit is a popular rock climbing area that I have not been up before, Ill have to be slow and careful Saturday morning.

Mark
N0MTN

Hello guys!
The great day approaches!
In Nord Italy the weather report calls for rain, but here we go!!
I think that I’ll be active also in PSK31/64 on 20,17,15mt
I have a question, are there any specific frequencies for digit sota activations? or 14.070, 18.100 and 21.070 is ok?
Thanks for answer

73 de Roberto iw2obx