North America <> Europe SOTA S2S Party - 19th November 2016 1400 - 1700 UTC

So far this week conditions have been deteriorating on 20m. Let’s hope the trend does not continue.

The only sure way to know what conditions are is to put out a call and listen While propagation prediction and trending tools can give a guide, they can also be wrong.

Ed.

One of things I had forgotten was that the twilight period is shorter the further South you go. Which means sunset is around 1800Z here but by 1820Z it’s getting quite dark and 1830Z is dark to all intents. For the 2 possible summits I have earmarked for this event, I’m hoping the descent time will be around 45mins max meaning I must go QRT by 1700Z max,

I’m not keen on this. All the activators will be facing similar challenges and ambitions. If I can’t find a clear frequency I’ll change bands or S&P. I think this (non-“standard”) practice will just confuse and irritate people. How many times will the frequency be “taken over” and how will the “holder” get it back? Anarchy reigns (it’s bad enough holding a frequency against the hordes of QRO stations).
If I get a clear frequency I’ll certainly vary my call to give opportunities to QRP, S2S, inter-continental & chasers in due turn. This is part of the challenge and fun of SOTA.

The chart presented was produced by putting out thousands of “calls” automatically and receiving thousands of reports back. It’s not a prediction, it’s what is actually happening - updated live every 120 seconds.

Hi Richard,
My point is the data displayed is from the past and you are suggesting that the trend will continue. Hence any statement about how it will be on Saturday is a prediction.

It’s useful but not foolproof, no prediction can be.

Ed.

Hi Ed

Noted. I did not make a prediction however. You have mis-imagined that!

If you want a prediction, I predict that lots of people will have an enjoyable SOTA experience on Saturday. I believe that to be foolproof.

2 Likes

In the hope of adding a bit of gain to my 10w I’ve lashed up a pair of phased verticals for 20m which I’ll set up on Saturday. The ‘back garden’ test today suggests they’re working, at least into the east coast. GL all!

2 Likes

What is this graph??

How about if the freq “owner” temporarily passes control to another activator, who then passes it back after the callsigns and sig reports are exchanged? Something similar to what the nets do when net control doesn’t copy a station and then uses a relay station. The only person calling CQ is the “owner”, the other two use callsigns between each other for their brief exchange. The “owner” acts as net control.

sounds good to me - I think we keep it informal and generally try to help other activators out in making s2s

Still dark here at 1400 so I will be hiking up in the dark and heavy rain is forecast. I will set up and pre-activate the day before (local time) and maybe get some of the closer chasers then. I will be happy to get any EU contact either S2S or a chaser since I have not had one from a summit before. I would camp at the summit but it is not permitted. I have posted two alerts, one for 0001 and one for 1430. Will be using KX3 10-15Watts to aNORCAL doublet and or end fed wire.

A problem with this can arise if the two (say NA) activators can’t hear each other.

Ed.

Now up to 51 alerts, so surely the record of 55 for the VK-EU S2S event will be smashed with over 48 hours to go. And one presumes that the level of 73 participating activations will be surpassed too. The only thing that might be in doubt is the propagation and therefore the number of S2S contacts.

Good question! It is less than self-explanatory.

Walt (G3NYY)

Elf explanatory…?

What is this graph??

Good question! It is less than self-explanatory.

It looks suspiciously to me like G0MFR has made some CW CQ calls using a pair of phased verticals for 20m, set up for testing in his back garden. What’s more, these CQ calls have been picked up by RBN receiving stations in Eastern North America, as indicated on the map, and generated automated spots on the RBN website.

I think Detective EYP has cracked the case here, what d’ya reckon?

1 Like

I think we have our wires crossed here; M6VAR was responding to CWI’s graph.
Rod

I wouldn’t have thought so - Richard’s explanation was quite clear. A nice bit of technology!

Well just as long as the wires are crossed here and not the summits during the event we should be okay. I also hope that all the predictions and speculation don’t upset the ionosphere gods… not as though I believe in such things! LOL.:laughing:

Finally I have made my choice of antennas, pole and other kit. The backpack will weigh around 16kg, so I am pleased that I have little over a kilometre to walk… memories of days when I used to carry aluminium poles and an aluminium 5 element yagi. :slight_smile:

I wish everyone all the best for their activations. I don’t believe in luck, so just do your best and I will raise a glass this evening to the success of the event. See you on the bands.

73, Gerald G4OIG (GW4OIG/P - GW/NW-077)